Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manhole + pond

Options
  • 03-07-2012 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭

Hi . I'm going to build a bigger pond but remembered there is a sewage pipe going under the area I want to dig. Anyone know how far down these pipes would be? Could I lift the manhole out the back? It's cracking anyway

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

It depends if you''re at the start of the system or at the end. Start of the system will be shallow enough and it will fall down the row of houses.
    Be careful lifting the man hole cover and make sure you check for drains in the manhole wall, not just the over all depth of the manhole. Could be an overflow or other drains at different levels.

You will be able to judge the line of the drain by lining up manholes, (usually every second garden).

Personally I'd avoid digging directly over it tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Im not digging over the manhole just the pipe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

depends how deep the drain is and how deep your digging tbh. can you not avoid the area at all?

Lift the man hole cover and check the walls for pipes breaking into it. Run a tap or shower which drains into the manhole and see what point it enters the manhole. Bring a torch, look for overflow pipes near the surface. My own manhole is about 20ft deep, but I have drains going into it at about 4 or 5 feet down.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ponddigger

hi .some photos would be a great help:Dponddigger:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

I don't know how to post photos !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How do I post them ?? :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ponddigger

hi thunder, this might help. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55194002&postcount=23 :Dponddigger:D

Advertisement