Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garfish at Dun Laoghaire Pier: Tips?

Options
  • 03-07-2012 3:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

Any reports, sightings, catches of garfish from Dun Laoghaire pier recently? Caught them years ago, last few years been cranking out mackerel under the float no bother. This week's catches were a mix of small joey and bigger horse mackerel under float, size 12 hook, 8 lb gear all on mackerel, but is it a question of pot luck with the same tackle as far as targetting garfish at that location?

(No, green bones dont bother me)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭dbrock

there are a few about , use the same method as the macks but slightly higher in the water, fair play on getting some horse mackeral havnt had one of the pier in years

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭mattcullen

Would you recomed the east or the west pier for float fishing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

personally, the east pier - by the bandstand, but that's me. there can be a problem with seals later in the season (usually brought on by people gutting their macks into the water). but the macks are there now.

pike float fish strip of mackerel or squid, I find 15-18 feet down, light lines, small hooks, light gear, fly rod if you can. great fun.

took another four tonight - very tasty with ginger, spring onion, soy, baked. never let the sun set on a mackerel before cookin' or eatin' IMO!

That's sound cheers for the reply. As a matter of interst what weight is the float and weight? I've had a few snap offs using 10 lb mono with a sea float. Think the float weighs about an ounce and the weight about the same..so I suppose the combined weight is maybe a bit much or maybe i should just cast it very gently

Damn straight about eating them fresh. Gad some fresh ones sunday.and they were class. Had them the next day, still ok but different class altogether!

Do you need high tide there for them? Not sure how low it gets

uvox wrote: »
    personally, the east pier - by the bandstand, but that's me. there can be a problem with seals later in the season (usually brought on by people gutting their macks into the water). but the macks are there now.

pike float fish strip of mackerel or squid, I find 15-18 feet down, light lines, small hooks, light gear, fly rod if you can. great fun.

took another four tonight - very tasty with ginger, spring onion, soy, baked. never let the sun set on a mackerel before cookin' or eatin' IMO!

Wouldn't mind trying the fly rod but is there room for a back cast with all the walkers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

I've got them at all stages of the tide. Obviously varying the depth the lower it gets helps...:) Depth is key.

Tricky with backcasts alright. I suggest flyrod with small fixed spool reel. However, having a mad mack run about on a fly rod won't win you many friends in the angling community if there's a few people fishing in parallel to you.

I think I have 5 BB under a small sized pike-type float. ABU 2500c multiplier, small ABU speedlocked handle spinning rod (grade 2, 6ft) from the early 1980s, 8 lb line. Retro-style.

10lb line is fine.

uvox wrote: »
    I've got them at all stages of the tide. Obviously varying the depth the lower it gets helps...:) Depth is key.

Tricky with backcasts alright. I suggest flyrod with small fixed spool reel. However, having a mad mack run about on a fly rod won't win you many friends in the angling community if there's a few people fishing in parallel to you.

I think I have 5 BB under a small sized pike-type float. ABU 2500c multiplier, small ABU speedlocked handle spinning rod (grade 2, 6ft) from the early 1980s, 8 lb line. Retro-style.

10lb line is fine.

That's sound thanks. Did a bit of macky bashing on one of the boats from Bullock today but looking forward to bit of float fishing. Most relaxing way to fish I reckon

Advertisement