Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding Gift

Options
  • 03-07-2012 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭

Going to my cousins wedding, my OH and I will be attending the whole thing. Gonna give cash in a card, what is the going rate now for a wedding now-a-days?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,205 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Entirely depends on your social circle and circumstances. Personally, I'd give €150 for a wedding myself and the other half were attending, others will say €50 is grand, some will tell you it should be €200, and others still will tell you cash is tacky and you should give them a toaster instead ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

We give 150€ as the norm, for people we are closer friends we give 200€.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭wildflower

we always give at least 200, but i know some of mates give 150. but this depends on situation- if ur broke ur friends gettig married will understand ur not flush so if u want just explain u cant afford and they will get it, we did last yr and only gave 100 for wedding but sent card after with 100 and they were thrilled it came after and rang especially to say how unexpected it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Give what you can afford and no more.

I don't know what the norm is but I would say €100 is plenty for a couple, anything over €100 is extremely generous.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Aine5

I normally tend to give €150 if both me & my OH are attending the wedding.

If its family I tend to give a little more - my cousin got married last month and we lived next door to each other growing up so I gave extra - €300 but that was a once off.

It really all depends on what you can afford now-a-days.
    Weddings are really expensive by the time you bring the cost of dress, oh shirt & tie, hair, I usually get my make-up done too and then the gift and spending money for the day and sometimes a stop-over in hotel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭manutd83

Im going to a wedding in a couple of weeks but only to the evening,how much should i be giving

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭paulbok

€50 is plenty for an evening invite.
    If you are going as part of a work group/ football team etc, I've seen it often done where you all chip intogether and get a group gift such a weekend away somewhere. My o/h went to a work wedding afters and they (around 15 of them) bought the couple an ipad as they were gadget freaks. worked out around 45/50 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

paulbok wrote: »
    If you are going as part of a work group/ football team etc, I've seen it often done where you all chip intogether and get a group gift such a weekend away somewhere. My o/h went to a work wedding afters and they (around 15 of them) bought the couple an ipad as they were gadget freaks. worked out around 45/50 each.
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

paulbok wrote: »

I think 50e is far too much especially if it is from a single person. I would give a gift for around 20/30 e unless I was really close to one of the people getting married but usually evening invites are for casual friends, workmates or distant relations unless it is a very small wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I'd definitely agree with what you can afford.
    If you've to travel/ stay overnight etc, it ends up costing a lot!
    If you're not too concerned about money, dont have to travel etc., I'd generally at least cover the cost to the couple of inviting you- whatever the meal costs/ person (roughly)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

if you can't afford much for an evening invite, then a small present is fine, if you can afford it, personally I wouldn't think 50 was too much.

Advertisement