Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching my gas account to Electric Ireland

Options
  • 03-07-2012 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hiya folks

If I'm already an ESB customer, how easy is it to switch my home gas account to yourselves? I'm renting in Dublin and the person whose name the gas bill is in with Bórd Gáis is moving out, so I thought instead of starting a new account with them (and paying for that privilege) could I just add the gas under my existing Electricity bill?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi Darragh,

All you would need to do is contact us with the GPRN (gas point reference number) and a meter reading from the point the other person closes the account with their provider. A gas account can then be created with Electric Ireland (this would have a different number to the existing electricity account).

There are also discounts which can be availed of by gas/dual fuel customers with us.

You can make the switch online or by telephone, or you can send the GPRN and meter reading to me by private message if you like, and I can set the ball rolling on the switch and any discounts you would like to have applied. The only information I cannot take by private message (should it be of relevance) is bank details.

All the best :)
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭darraghdoyle

Thanks Una

Just to clarify/confirm - would I have to pay anything to open a new gas account with yourselves for the same place I already have electricity?

Cheers

Darragh

Hi Darragh,

No, you would not be required to pay a deposit for gas, because you are already a customer with Electric Ireland.

Regards :)
    Una

Hi Darragh,

Just wish to let you know: I am trying to send you a private message response but I am unable to do so.

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭darraghdoyle

That'd be my privacy settings - should be sorted now Una, thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭mckildare

Sorry OP for thread hijack but I have a question that's kind of the same :o

Una, if I'm moving into a place that has gas can I just add a gas account to my electricity account? At the moment I'm on the valuesaver 6% discount, what would I get for the combo account then? :)

Cheers
    Martin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi mckildare,

You can indeed. We can take care of that via PM if you like; we would just need the following details:
    • GPRN and up to date gas meter reading
    • Your contact number and date of birth (for account security)
    mckildare wrote:
    At the moment I'm on the valuesaver 6% discount, what would I get for the combo account then?

In addition to getting the 6% off the Bord Gáis regulated gas unit rates, you would receive an additional 3% discount off your electricity for being a dual-fuel customer. So overall, 9% off electricity, 6% off gas, and paying by direct debit means there's no security deposit requirement. You can find the Ts&Cs here.

If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,

David.

That's great, thanks for the info David. Just have to wait and see where we end up moving to now!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Saggitarius

Hi mckildare,

You can indeed. We can take care of that via PM if you like; we would just need the following details:
    • GPRN and up to date gas meter reading
    • Your contact number and date of birth (for account security)

In addition to getting the 6% off the Bord Gáis regulated gas unit rates, you would receive an additional 3% discount off your electricity for being a dual-fuel customer. So overall, 9% off electricity, 6% off gas, and paying by direct debit means there's no security deposit requirement. You can find the Ts&Cs here.

If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,

David.

Hi David,

My case possible same as 'mckildare' has. I'm also electric customer before moving soon into a new home where available gas as well and I'd like to transfer my account there. So I just need to send to you my new numbers (MPRN and GPRN) and current readings. And of course the reading on my existing MPRN on last day? It can be a stupid question, but I never had in same situation like that.

Thanks

Hi Saggitarius,

Do indeed private message us. :)

We would need your Electric Ireland account number and up-to-date electricity meter reading at the point you are moving address, so that we can process the move. If you would like to create a gas account at the new address, yes, that is correct that we would require the GPRN of the new address and an up-to-date meter reading from the point you move in.

For security verification, we would also need your full name (and for you to be the named holder of the electricity account and the pending gas account) and the old address and new address. We would also require your contact telephone number. What we cannot take by private message is bank details, so if you are setting up a direct debit, it would need to be processed with one of our customer advisors over the phone.

Una

• Advertisement

HI Una,

Thanks a mill for quick reply. I just back form our new home and I don't really know what number do you need. Anyway I took pictures about meters. The new electricity meter is a new digital kind. It has an own serial and (I think that you need) a number with barcode, starting with 'ESB Networks RM257 ......'. The gas meter also has numbers at the barcode. If do you think, I can send over by email that pictures, 'cos I'm not really expert in this.

Regards,
    Bela

Hi Bela,

Oh in relation to electricity, your Electric Ireland account number from a bill will be perfect. :)

With regards to the GPRN (gas point reference number) for your new address: the meter number and the address in full will be enough for us to find the GPRN.

All the best,
    Una

Hey Una,

Just wondering if Mark from EI is still active on boards? I was dealing with him this time last year about my price plan and I sent him a pm yesterday but judging from his online activity he is not too involved :)

Thanks!

mckildare wrote: »
    Hey Una,

Just wondering if Mark from EI is still active on boards? I was dealing with him this time last year about my price plan and I sent him a pm yesterday but judging from his online activity he is not too involved :)

Thanks!
    Hi mckildare,

Mark has indeed left the building and we're sorry to see him go. He finished up just recently and the charter was only amended to reflect this in the last few days. :)
    Any query you have, do drop David and I a private message - you can group message the two of us to the account Electric Ireland Reps.

Una

Hi Bela,

Oh in relation to electricity, your Electric Ireland account number from a bill will be perfect. :)

With regards to the GPRN (gas point reference number) for your new address: the meter number and the address in full will be enough for us to find the GPRN.

All the best,
    Una

PM sent with details.

Thanks,
    Bela

Advertisement