Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wearing same dress to another wedding?

• 03-07-2012 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have been searching high and low for a nice dress for a wedding i have coming up in a few weeks, but with all the sales being on I cant find anything I love. i have a dress I wore to a friends weeding two months ago, love the dress, have the accessories, shoes and scarf to match.

BUT majority of my friends have said that in no way can I wear the same dress to a wedding at which the exact same group of people will be at. Apparently its just not on.

Just wondering is this the general consensus? I am in two minds about it myself as I am the type of person to probably never wear the dress after this summer. So in one mind I'm all for wearing it again but at the same time I could feel terrible on the morning of the wedding and wish I had bought something new.

All advice/previous experience appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

TBH, your friends sound like snipes. If the outfit is appropriate, comfortable and you enjoy it, then it is fine to wear it more than once. We are not all millionaires.

The freaking queen of England often wears the same clothes more than once!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 MISS8

I think most people wouldn't but that's not to say you can't. If you're going to feel happy in it then go for it. If you love the dress maybe change the accessories to make it feel like a new outfit, add a belt or some statement jewellery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If you like the dress and it's flattering, then wear it again. Like the previous poster said, you can make it look a little different with new accessories.

Better than spending loads of money on a new dress.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭fiona-f

Your friends sound a bit out of touch. If the outfit is suitable and makes you look good, then go for it. Especially if they are friends' weddings rather than family members, you are unlikely to end up in the official photos that go up on the living room wall! I bet if you hadn't mentioned it in advance very few would even notice. If you really feel it, get a contrasting cardi

I wore the same two outfits to the last nine weddings I've attended.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Saorenza

Pfft!

I did it with a dress I had I really liked. Wore it to my SIL and husband's aunt wedding in same month - with different accessories, shoes, cover ups. I told them I was doing it - they didn't care.

I wore the same dress a year later to my brother's wedding (no one had seen it there) and blew the budget on a pair of shoes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I think it would be fine with some different accessories, that will create the "new" feeling for yourself, as you mentioned you'd be afraid you would change your mind on the morning of the wedding! Different hair, lipstick colour will also make it a whole new look!

I had two weddings close together as well, and while I wore different dresses, I had the same shoes, coat and bag for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Of course you can wear the dress again, there is no rule that says you can't.

If you like it and feel comfortable in it, wear it.

Forget what your friends think, not everyone has the money these days to go around buying a variety of outfits for weddings just because they say 'it's not on'.

To be honest, your friends sound snobby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 572 ✭✭✭forestfruits

Go for it. Ive have been to a good few weddings this year and have seen more than one person wearing the same dresses a second time- Including myself!

Only your close friends will notice, if even! Its better than wearing something your not happy with.

No one in their right mind would care that you've worn the same outfit twice.

Anyone that does is a bit sad.

In fact I'd go as far as to say that if anyone does mind you wearing the same outfit twice, you should feel happy about it, because clearly you have a far more interesting life than them. God, I can't believe your friends would say that to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭nhg

How many wears does a man get from the same suit........

Your friends need to get a life........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭beamgirl

If Kate Middleton can do it...
    I think its just the bride who cant wear the same dress again!

I always buy a dress for a wedding on the assumption that I'll get more than one wedding out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

I'd say go for it. But yeah style it a little different if that's poss!? Can you post a photo of dress?

Advertisement