Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New xbox to be called Xbox 8/Xbox infinity?

Options
  • 03-07-2012 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭

Taken from xbox360achievements.org:
    Microsoft has settled a number of disputes over domain names owned by a Chinese resident. And while most are unremarkable, at least a couple are notable.

As well as XboxPhone.com, XboxTablet.com, XboxLiveTV.com and XboxCompanion.com, Microsoft has gained control of a couple of domains that some commentators are suggesting provides hints to its next generation console. Namely, Xbox8.us and Xbox8.org.

Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 launch later this year, hence the relevance of the number. The eight symbol also looks a lot like the infinity symbol, which alludes to previous mentions in relation to a secret team of Microsoft hardware experts. Xbox Infinity? It’s a possibility.

It should be known that Microsoft, like all other companies, regularly defends its intellectual property. As well as the now settled dispute, the company also has pending cases against the owners of Xboxliverewards.com, Xboxsports.com, Xboxsmartglass.com, and Xboxmusic.com.

I like xbox infinity a hell of a lot more than xbox 8 or 720.

What would you rather the new xbox be called? 24 votes

Xbox 720
    0%
    Xbox 8
    25%
    Myrddinthe groutchgarysully1986Patsy fyreDazzaBazinga_N 6 votes
    Xbox infinity
    4%
    Mr Freeze 1 vote
    Something else
    70%
    GonzoMr Epaddyktoxofmcgovern-=al=-GarHzero19ShaneUxo_CHEWY_oxMiniNukinfutsCMpunkedmetalmessiah88rev2.0MenapiansfusufMichaelGUFC 17 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

CMpunked wrote: »
    I like xbox infinity a hell of a lot more than xbox 8 or 720.

Kind of shooting themselves in the foot though. What's going to be the next one cos it has to be better than "infinity"! :pac:

I really couldn't care what the name is going to be cos everyone's still going to call it just 'xbox' or 'the new xbox'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

chin_grin wrote: »
    Kind of shooting themselves in the foot though. What's going to be the next one cos it has to be better than "infinity"! :pac:

I really couldn't care what the name is going to be cos everyone's still going to call it just 'xbox' or 'the new xbox'.
    They'll just use Buzz Lightyear in the advertisements for the console following that one ... "To Infinity, and beyond!" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Something else
    Not Xbox Home Media Server and Internet Device (with a tiny bit of gaming on the sidelines)?
    Not as catchy I guess....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I can't remember where I saw it, but came across a fan logo a while back and it was the infinity symbol with the Xbox X in the middle of it. Thought it was clever enough. This will also be the eight generation of consoles, if anyone was wondering where they're getting the 8 from.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

This will also be the eight generation of consoles, if anyone was wondering where they're getting the 8 from.
    I just assumed it was to tie in with Windows 8 (PC, Phone, Surface, Xbox), nice connection with the generations though.

Names don't matter when it comes to consoles. When something official is announced, people will find fault with it, but shortly after launch no one will bat an eyelid. Just look at the Wii :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

I just assumed it was to tie in with Windows 8 (PC, Phone, Surface, Xbox), nice connection with the generations though.

Names don't matter when it comes to consoles. When something official is announced, people will find fault with it, but shortly after launch no one will bat an eyelid. Just look at the Wii :)

Not unless its called Xbox 2600 :D

Advertisement