Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Future of Mobile data looks like it will suck for us all

Options
  • 03-07-2012 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

The world is moving , but as I watch, the Mobile "operators" in Ireland are looking more and more to replicate the broken, expensive and confusing market that exists in the United States. Case in point, Three Ireland "All you can eat" data plan. Apparently you can only use it on a handset, so there is no using it as a WiFi access point for other devices, If you are hungry still for data after 15GB, then you are at the mercy of them doing anything they want to your account. This is pointless, its odd as I am on three, I have the ability to use my phone as a Wireless hotspot because the F'ING PHONE UPDATE GAVE ME THE FEATURE TODAY. Now three tell me they don't allow it. But if I want, I can buy all you can eat and a modem with separate bill plan for 18 months and I should be happy.

When did all this rubbish of bundles within bundles start happening ?
    I think that if we are looking to have the "internet of things" and live in a more connected world we need to start collectively stamp this kind of practice out now. I would like to see better ubiquitous internet for all via tablets and phone , but we are getting close to getting a LTE network here and the whole thing is actually getting worse !

Ant thoughts on this , where do people think this is going to go ?
    If there space for a new mobile network focusing on getting better data to everyone or has that ship well and truly sailed ?

Rob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

The Irish mobile internet market has to change. On the one hand they are selling dongles and people are using them as their home internet connection downloading HD movies and on the other hand someone wanting to use a small amount of data to check when the next bus is coming is charged 1000 times as much per byte.

They need to make data available for truly mobile apps and get people to download movies on fixed connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Now three tell me they don't allow it.

Have 3 actually blocked you from internet sharing? Whilst I know it is against their T & C's, I frequently use a 3pay phone sim in a dongle and as a hot spot on my phone without problem, although it's a few months since I last did so as I am out of the country.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 26 TheMasterPrawn

No, it works just fine, and my fiancée used it all the time, it's ridiculous that they say it's in breach of their Terms and Conditions when they evidently do not stop devices from doing it. Very worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

They can tell if you're doing it on an Iphone. Technically they can tell you're doing it on anything if they actually checked the nature of data, e.g. why would an Android phone be downloading Windows updates? It would be very difficult for them to actually charge you for it though because you could probably find some way to explain it away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭McGrath5

The revenue networks are recieving from call and text bundles is constantly dropping, thats why they are trying to monetise data as much as possible.
    The days of "all you can eat data" or "unlimited data" are numbered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

From what I read, it is only new customers from January that are limited by internet sharing policy changes.

Wife was concerned when upgrading to the GS3 last month, when the CS rep rang to say the Blue version was going to be delayed she asked if it was ok to share internet as she read the new T's and C's on the Three site. The rep said that as long as she didnt go nuts it was fine with them to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I use three and hoptspot from my iphone occasionally, for work and also for a bit of surfing.
    Haven't got any angry calls from 3 yet, but then I might use just 500MB/week this way so not much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

All my internet access in the office is on a 3 Sweden pay as you go phone sim which I use in a dongle. I've been using it like that for two years now, there is never any calls or texts on that number just data and I've never had a problem.

invest4deepvalue.com

Advertisement