Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would date a smoker?

• 03-07-2012 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭

Throughout my life, when it came to dating, I always refused to date or see any girls who smoked. No matter how attractive they were I always drew the line with they drew a cigarette. I turned down some great opportunities and walked away from some beautiful women but I have no regrets.
    Now happily married...to an non smoker of course.

Just wondering if anybody else feels this strongly about smokers?

Would you date a smoker? 186 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 186 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Yeah Georgia Salpa smokes! wouldnt touch her with a barge pole!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I wouldn't for a serious relationship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Would only date smokers, any bird that refuses to smoke my pink cigar can fk right off

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

KenSwee wrote: »
    Throughout my life, when it came to dating, I always refused to date or see any girls who smoked. No matter how attractive they were I always drew the line with they drew a cigarette. I turned down some great opportunities and walked away from some beautiful women but I have no regrets.

I wouldn't. I used to smoke and quit smoking to be with a girl who didn't smoke. I noticed that people who smoked just don't smell that good (in my opinion) after I quit. Not that I evangelise about it. It's just sort of stinky.

Although I'd definitely have had sex with smokers

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

I wouldn't rule out dating a smoker altogether, although I hate the smell of it and long term, if we were to have a house together I wouldn't be happy with them smoking in all rooms. Hmm maybe I should rule it out lol....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Wouldn't bother me tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Smokers are jokers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

Twould be very hypocritical if I wouldnt tbh :P

But I dunno, wouldnt bother me as a smoker, and didn't back when I was a non smoker, obviously the smell of smoke leaves a lot to be desired but wouldnt bother me in terms of being a dealbreaker, much better the smell of fags than her being an absolute c*nt :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I've found that the more barriers, restrictions and red lines that you place on a potential relationship, the less likely you are to find someone that you really click with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Nope, never have, never would.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

smokers are addictive, dont date one! :cool:

I've found that the more barriers, restrictions and red lines that you place on a potential relationship, the less likely you are to find someone that you really click with.

Well, yeah, but I made a rule that I was only going to date women. I may have been ruling out people I really click with, but I'm comfortable with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

Thread needs poll.

I have, and wouldn't again. For a start, I need my inhaler after being around smokers. Secondly, the smell off your clothes, and thirdly kissing someone that tastes of fags is rotten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Strange thing for a happily married non-smoker to be wondering.
    We normally get the forever alone types making these kinds of threads....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

if she smokes she pokes....

i can understand why its a turn off, with the breath and smell etc but apart from that can't see an issue.

if its a health thing then surely that means no red meats, no alcohol, no fun

danniemcq wrote: »
    if its a health thing then surely that means no red meats, no alcohol, no fun

That doesn't necessarily follow, though. I mean, health wouldn't be an issue for me, but I don't smoke, and I do drink. I don't know why people would take an all or nothing approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Thread needs poll.

I have, and wouldn't again. For a start, I need my inhaler after being around smokers. Secondly, the smell off your clothes, and thirdly kissing someone that tastes of fags is rotten.

Yeah I've never dated a smoker but I kissed a few, bleuch! Actually had to stop one once cause I thought I was going to be sick.

And I've been around enough smokers to know most of them smell bad, they just don't realise it. Was doing a group research project before with a smoker and another girl. Me and the girl would take turns to sit next to the smoker, he smelt so bad it gave me headaches.

If it was a serious relationship I would honestly expect them to quit. They can't smoke around me because of my asthma anyway, which I made really bad by a brief stint of smoking when drinking a few years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Could not date a smoker.

It's bad enough walking behind someone or standing beside someone smoking, I either have to pass them out or move away from them... no way could I potentially be in a relationship with a smoker for 50+ years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Yes, yes I would. I am a smoker but even before I was I went out with a few smokers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Ruling out someone who smells like the 76a to Tallaght is hardly being picky now in all fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

For a start, I need my inhaler after being around smokers. Secondly, the smell off your clothes, and thirdly kissing someone that tastes of fags is rotten.
    This for me too

Never have, never will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Perhaps the poll should ask whether respondents are smokers or non-smokers themselves?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I like the smell of cigarettes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

No I wouldn't but tell that to the hot ones that smoke! Damn tempting...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I don't like girls who smoke.

Neither do I particularly like guys who smoke but I'm not attracted to guys so I don't care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Its not an issue for me. I wouldn't have an problem with it so long as he didn't smoke in the house/around my nieces and nephews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭war_child

ive seen alot of one sided comments especially from women ...ive dated smokers and non smokers and have to say neither really bothered me that much ..i am now happily engaged to a smoker but my past previous long term relationship was with a non smoker and it never bothered her....

I have to ask the women whats this about if you want a long term relationship YOUD EXPECT them to quit ...what if they EXPECTED YOU to start smoking ..see ladies 2 way street

But i think its a personal choice, and for those who would rule out a relationship because the person smokes even if they connected on such a high level my advice to you is worry bout the BIG THINGS and please for all that is good and pure in this world let the little things slide.

Have a great rainy week everyone keep smiling

War_child

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

I gave up smoking recently but my girlfriend still smokes and tbh I doesent bother me.

I do stay away from her when she's just after a smoke but she's a very light smoker so i'm not that affected by it, I though it would be tougher than it is.

war_child wrote: »
    I have to ask the women whats this about if you want a long term relationship YOUD EXPECT them to quit ...what if they EXPECTED YOU to start smoking ..see ladies 2 way street

Er. I'm male last time I had a look, but if they expect you to take up a damaging habit to make you smell bad, I dunno. There's an upside to quitting smoking, where's the upside to starting? Apart from fitting in and looking awesome, of course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

It really wouldnt bother me in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭superblu

When I was younger I wouldn't have given a dam once I was getting my rock and roll. I became more selective as I got older and irrespective of what a woman looked like or whatever else if she was a smoker it would be a no.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

No.
    I never like chewing on an ashtray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

I've been single for so long now i would consider dating a crack smoker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 xylophones

war_child wrote: »

But i think its a personal choice, and for those who would rule out a relationship because the person smokes even if they connected on such a high level my advice to you is worry bout the BIG THINGS and please for all that is good and pure in this world let the little things slide.

Have a great rainy week everyone keep smiling

War_child

your damn right.who do these women think they are? expecting the man they are in love with to give up cigarettes so that there is no second hand smoke which could cause serious illness and lung problems! sooooo unreasonable right? btw two way street doesnt really work when one side is called 'this could get you cancer' and the other is 'this wont'.

so yeah,not a big thing at all! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

have to say that i wouldnt - hypothetically (as im happily married), i'm an ex smoker and i think dating a smoker would lead to me starting smoking again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

^Especially if you both wanted kids...I think that's when I'd have to jump on the "I expect you to quit" side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

This is what I love about AH. Looking at the poll at this very second has an equal level. Actually, its an even balance (30/30). Two of my closest friends smoke but don't touch alcohol but yet there are a couple of my friends who drink like its going out of fashion and don't smoke. First time I have ever seen such a balance on AH. (Btw, I was a lurker for a long time before I registered on boards).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

I have dated smokers and I would date one, but reluctantly so, only if I really liked the person. I have a lung disease and it really irritates me that someone could destroy a perfectly good pair of lungs on purpose, I have no choice but to watch my health decline no matter what I do, so I find smokers very frustrating. I couldn't live with a smoker because it increases my chances of infection so that would be a huge problem long-term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

The poll needs to differentiate between smokers who would date smokers and non-smokers who would date smokers.

I couldn't. I don't mind friends smoking but I do often wonder if they realise how bad the smell. The same people wouldn't hesitate to criticise someone with BO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

No I couldn't do it. I just hate the smell. I've noticed that people who smoke and then put on perfume or aftershave, it just makes it worse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Gave up smoking 3.5 months ago and I can safely say that I will never date a smoker, even if he's Brad Pitt !

The reason why I gave up is because they smell horrible, they make your clothes smell and I don't want to die young..!

When I see people smoke now I think it looks so unattractive and man am I glad to be out of the trap !

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

Depends what she looks like

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭_Gawd_

Get off your high horse you half eejit, ye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Yeah Georgia Salpa smokes! wouldnt touch her with a barge pole!

Well said :)

So for the blokes out there who say you wouldnt... yeah right.
    and for the ladies. well johnny depp smokes. I'm sure you'll all say "hit the bricks johnny.. take your 300 million and get lost!" :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

no, absolutely not. I kissed a smoker once and it was disgusting.. it was like what I imagine licking an ashtray to be.

I would have absolutely no interest in dating someone who smokes, with all the associated health risks and smells.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

Ah ya I would, no big deal really. I dont smoke either, pack a chewing gum be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

I turned down some great opportunities and walked away from some beautiful women but I have no regrets.

The thing is they're not so beautiful in the morning when they're coughing up a lung! :eek: I dated a smoker once and said 'never again'.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭River Song

I have and would again. It's not something I would ever hold against a person.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

I would date a smoker as an on off smoker myself so i dont judge,but ya bring the mint spray ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭MrReynholm

No, absolutely not.

Only dumb people smoke cigarettes (adults, I'll forgive kids for it since they're naive and prone to peer pressure) and if there's anything I find unattractive it's an obvious lack of intelligence.

• Advertisement
Advertisement