Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would date a smoker?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

I don't date. I'm Irish. I would drunkenly ride a smoker no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

KenSwee wrote: »
    Throughout my life, when it came to dating, I always refused to date or see any girls who smoked. No matter how attractive they were I always drew the line with they drew a cigarette. I turned down some great opportunities and walked away from some beautiful women but I have no regrets.
    Now happily married...to an non smoker of course.

Just wondering if anybody else feels this strongly about smokers?

Have done, but ot for long. And I wouldn't do it again.
    It's too difficult when you have to overcome your instinctive reaction of revulsion everytime you get close enough to the other person to smell them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

MrReynholm wrote: »
    No, absolutely not.

Only dumb people smoke cigarettes (adults, I'll forgive kids for it since they're naive and prone to peer pressure) and if there's anything I find unattractive it's an obvious lack of intelligence.

If there's anything I find unattractive it's people willing to make such stupid generalisations.

On topic, dating a smoker wouldn't bother me but I would badger them to quit (or at least cut back significantly) if I thought they were smoking too heavily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

I smoked for years and had only ever gone out with smokers. Then I quit and was seeing a smoker for a year and now I'm with a non-smoker and he's the first non-smoker I've ever gone out with. I don't think I could back now although I wouldn't rule it out. As long as he wasn't a heavy smoker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I would prefer not to. I wouldn't rule out a guy if I really liked him just because he was a smoker but truthfully, I would be happier not to have to kiss someone who tasted like cigarettes. Urgh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭MrReynholm

If there's anything I find unattractive it's people willing to make such stupid generalisations.

On topic, dating a smoker wouldn't bother me but I would badger them to quit (or at least cut back significantly) if I thought they were smoking too heavily.
    Sorry but smoking, when you're fully aware of the dangers it poses and the damage it actively does to you, is retarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

What do ya do if your girlfriend starts smoking?

Slow down and use lube!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

As an Ex smoker i have to say not a hope in hell i'd long term date a smoker, it's tough enough as is staying off them, so why put the temptation in front of me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

No, absolutely not.

Only dumb people smoke cigarettes (adults, I'll forgive kids for it since they're naive and prone to peer pressure) and if there's anything I find unattractive it's an obvious lack of intelligence.
    Sorry but smoking, when you're fully aware of the dangers it poses and the damage it actively does to you, is retarded.

Your very bias towards smokers, why is this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

As an Ex smoker i have to say not a hope in hell i'd long term date a smoker, it's tough enough as is staying off them, so why put the temptation in front of me..

Give her something else to smoke instead. :)
    Your very bias towards smokers, why is this?

Because dude, smokers are filling their bodies with toxins and killing themselves :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

I recently quit smoking, so now I hate the smell of cigarettes and dating someone who smoked would be a massive turn off. But at the same time I am always desperate for a shag so I probably wouldn't turn a blind eye if she is a 7 or over.

MugMugs wrote: »
    Because dude, smokers are filling their bodies with toxins and killing themselves :)

I know that, its on every box of fags. But sure, we are here for a good time, not a long time. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I know that, its on every box of fags. But sure, we are here for a good time, not a long time. :)

I agree however I also call myself a thundering idiot every time I light up ! :)

MugMugs wrote: »
    I agree however I also call myself a thundering idiot every time I light up ! :)

As do I (sometimes). But the worst thing about it is the waste of money. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Im a female smoker, never been turned down!!!!

Not a huge deal, you are or you arent, if you're hot enough they will do you, ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Id sooner date some one who eat's poo for a living, FILTHY SMOKERS AM I RIGHT YAHHHHH GET EM !!

Lone Stone wrote: »
    Id sooner date some one who eat's poo for a living, FILTHY SMOKERS AM I RIGHT YAHHHHH GET EM !!

Yeah because so many people get paid to eat ****....

Ive often gone on a night out and said what do you think of smokers? They say oh they are the filth of the planet,.....I say oh Im a smoker...straight away 'Oh they arent too bad'

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Halloran springs

I think smokers are cool, and I like dating cool girls, therefore yes - I would date a smoker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

I'm an ex smoker ...hate smokes the smell makes me ill, but if I really liked someone I could deal with it....I think :cool:

Once they never smoked in my house..

Smoking or not doesnt come into it tbh, if they are fit as **** you would....

If you say you wouldnt youre lying!

• Advertisement

syndeyfife wrote: »

Our lovely sydney does have a point, i'd pow her up and down the kitchen table... while she was smoking ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Our lovely sydney does have a point, i'd pow her up and down the kitchen table... while she was smoking ..

If she was enjoying it she wouldn't smoke until after you were finished.

Just saying;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

That's the thing, though... Can they be hot if you find their smell revolting?
    Cause that would be my problem.

If she was enjoying it she wouldn't smoke until after you were finished.

Just saying;):D

Some people find it erotic to smoke during sex :p

Fecking prude ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

I'm a non-smoker dating a smoker and I never even thought of it as a reason not to start a relationship. He smokes in the house as does his roommate and I don't really mind, long as they're not blowing smoke in my face then it's their choice if they smoke or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

KenSwee wrote: »
    Throughout my life, when it came to dating, I always refused to date or see any girls who smoked. No matter how attractive they were I always drew the line with they drew a cigarette. I turned down some great opportunities and walked away from some beautiful women but I have no regrets.
    Now happily married...to an non smoker of course.

Just wondering if anybody else feels this strongly about smokers?

Should of asked them to smoke the bishop instead!

Seriously though it wouldn't bother me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

For a serious relationship this scenario isn't as bad for blokes as it is for the ladies. Cause if she smokes and he doesn't then whenever a kid is on the way she'll be giving up in any case. But if he smokes and she doesn't then that's a different matter- there's no guarantee that he'll give up at any stage in the future so she has to accept it or just not go out with him to begin with.

Having been thru the online dating thing as a smoker and a non-smoker I was amazed at how many more women were available to me as a non-smoker when I searched profiles. For most non smoking girls having a partner who is a non smoker is a total deal breaker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Annoying on a date if someone smokes and has to head out to the smoking area every 20 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

A cigarette smoker- no.
    A weed smoker- probably would.

Tbh it's the frequency and expense of a pointless habit which would turn me off most of all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I really wonder how many people who voted no could know a smoker, really like them, and actually be put off going out with that person on the basis of them being a smoker. I don't think it'd be many. In my experience, the people who I have known who've expressed such opinions have always been willing to forego this position in reality.

• Advertisement

I feel so special....

But yes, yes you would do me whether smoking or not! :D

If its that good you cant wait until its over!

The smell/turn off of smoking is not important, if you find them physically attractive then they could look and smell like a giant cigarette butt and you would still do them

Ive never ever had a problem! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

Dunno if it´s affected dating but I´ve defo pulled more women as a result of smoking , put that in your pipe and smoke it OP! :pac:

I couldn't, I just hate it too much. I know of a girl who fancies me but that's the very reason I haven't pursued it any further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Dunno if it´s affected dating but I´ve defo pulled more women as a result of smoking , put that in your pipe and smoke it OP! :pac:
    Smoking area, huh?

"Oh, you need a light? Certainly..."

Actually, that reminds me, will have to remember to bring a lighter with me. I've switched to an electronic cigarette, and last time I was out, I was asked for a lighter a load of times, but couldn't oblige as I didn't have a lighter. Heck, I'll bring the lot (or a lot) out, and feck most of them away. Damn stockpile of lighters.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Smoking area, huh?

"Oh, you need a light? Certainly..."

Actually, that reminds me, will have to remember to bring a lighter with me. I've switched to an electronic cigarette, and last time I was out, I was asked for a lighter a load of times, but couldn't oblige as I didn't have a lighter. Heck, I'll bring the lot (or a lot) out, and feck most of them away. Damn stockpile of lighters.

Smoking area gets all the action! :P

Was out earlier, asked at the bar did they have any matches (it was a hotel) they said no, aussie bloke at the bar says oh you need a lighter for a smoke? I said yeah, his friend gave me a lighter, followed me out 5 minutes later asking me if I was staying in the hotel etc...

You can always pull in the smoking area lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Absolutely not. Not only for what it is (smell, expense, etc.) but for what it says about the person. It is so obviously bad, in more than one way, that you have to be wilfully ignorant to keep doing it.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

I feel so special....

But yes, yes you would do me whether smoking or not! :D

If its that good you cant wait until its over!

The smell/turn off of smoking is not important, if you find them physically attractive then they could look and smell like a giant cigarette butt and you would still do them

Ive never ever had a problem! :cool:

Fast moving up my list of favourite boards people, bet you feel even more special now?!! :P

Seriously if two people are drunk you won't even notice the smell not unless they start sticking fingers in your gob and want you to suck them!

Anyway I'd more worried about the smell of their ............. (incert your own word) if thats good then game ball :)

Fast moving up my list of favourite boards people, bet you feel even more special now?!! :P

Seriously if two people are drunk you won't even notice the smell not unless they start sticking fingers in your gob and want you to suck them!

Anyway I'd more worried about the smell of their ............. (incert your own word) if thats good then game ball :)

It wont smell like cigarettes, unless they are homeless!!!!!

Nobody even notices the smell of cigarettes, 2 people fancy each other and they pull, great. It doesnt come into account! Ive yet to meet anyone who notices the smell off me.

Ive often said oh what do you think of smokers, they say they are horrible etc, I say im a smoker and they quickly change their tune.

Youre attracted to them or youre not, if smoking turns you off in terms of a relationship fair enough, but they are always good for a shag lol

It wont smell like cigarettes, unless they are homeless!!!!!

Nobody even notices the smell of cigarettes, 2 people fancy each other and they pull, great. It doesnt come into account! Ive yet to meet anyone who notices the smell off me.

Youre attracted to them or youre not, if smoking turns you off in terms of a relationship fair enough, but they are always good for a shag lol

Definitely number one now!

Bold bit, I might hold you to that one :D

• Advertisement

Definitely number one now!

Bold bit, I might hold you to that one :D

No, its true. If you have good hygein and stuff. People will be none the wiser, that you smoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Well, I'm a smoker so yeah. It'd be hypocritical not to.

I actually find something sexy about girl's smoking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

God would date a smoker, so would Jesus..

For shame AH, for shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

No, its true. If you have good hygein and stuff. People will be none the wiser, that you smoke.

Bull****.

(Unless hygein is some new, more successful type of Oust...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Have done loads of times - the older I get, the less appealing it is. The odd ciggie with a drink is grand but a daily, habitual smoker - would be an issue for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

_Gawd_ wrote: »
    Get off your high horse you half eejit, ye.

YOU CAN DO IT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

bnt wrote: »
    Absolutely not. Not only for what it is (smell, expense, etc.) but for what it says about the person. It is so obviously bad, in more than one way, that you have to be wilfully ignorant to keep doing it.

Its an addiction, its not something you stop doing at the drop of a hat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭yellowtrout

I smoke so it wouldn't bother me but my other half quit smoking a year ago and can't stand the smell of it, which I understand but it's annoying-he has a short memory!
    I would date a smoker but only if I smoked too-if I quit then I wouldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

I'm a smoker and my girlfriend isn't, She says she doesn't mind the taste, and she rather likes to smell of smoke (When its being smoked - I doubt its the after smell) And I always feel bad about being a smoker when I'm with her. Shes my first non-smoker girlfriend, so I find it quite hard on myself, as I feel quite guilty.

Hence, I'm actually cutting back, and planning on quitting too; because I don't think its fair on her. She doesn't nag about it or anything at all, but still! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

No, don't like the smell of smoke, and definitely not in my own house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

No. I'm in my 20s. We grew up knowing that smoking had only negative effects to your health. So no, I wouldn't.

Actually just to add: if they were trying to quit or didn't smoke all the time (just maybe at a break in work or something) I wouldn't be totally against it. But anyone who smokes a lot and at home, there's no way I'd date them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement