Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would date a smoker?

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

this thread should be renamed: Would you date an ashtray? Answer: No!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭validusername1

Yeah, I would. I don't smoke myself. But the smell doesn't bother me, and I don't think kissing someone who smokes is as bad as some people make it out to be. I've shifted guys who were just after having a cigarette and it wasn't horrible like some people think it is. Can't say I really notice much difference from kissing non-smokers tbh. I don't like the taste/smell of smoke but I don't particularly dislike it either so I guess it's just never something that I pay attention to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Onixx wrote: »

And smoking, no matter how much attention you pay to hygiene, does make you, your clothes, your surroundings smell. It's pointless smokers themselves saying they don't think the smell is that bad - because they wouldn't would they?
    Its the lingering smells in the house and on textiles and hair thats the most annoying factor.

I'm currently working with someone who smokes, then has a tic-tac to neutralise the smell. She must have no idea how much worse it makes it, the aftermath of smoke mixed with mint is ten times more nauseating than the smell of smoke alone.

I think smokers who think they don't smell from the habit, do so because smoking had clouded their sense of smell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

Gave up smoking myself about 2 months ago after 19 years (pause for congratulations :D )

To be honest when I am on bus/luas/dart and some smoker gets on, I notice the smell immediately and find it disgusting. I never thought I would be a militant ex-smoker, but the attitude of some smokers really disgusts me at this stage - and it is an attitude, a mentality that society is wrong and "i'll do whatever i want" or at least that's how i felt as a smoker. As an ex-smoker, it just seems so selfish. When I was a smoker I dated smokers, but now I wouldn't even consider it

As a non-smoker, if the person is a chain smoker or a heavy one, then I can't. I can't stand the smell that lingers on my clothes, on them, or in rooms, and the taste in their mouths as you kiss them. If they're just a light/occasional/social smoker, then it mightn't bother me as much, as long as they understand I'm not.

Though I'd much rather date a non-smoker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Thread needs poll.

I have, and wouldn't again. For a start, I need my inhaler after being around smokers. Secondly, the smell off your clothes, and thirdly kissing someone that tastes of fags is rotten.

Yeah I've never dated a smoker but I kissed a few, bleuch! Actually had to stop one once cause I thought I was going to be sick.

And I've been around enough smokers to know most of them smell bad, they just don't realise it. Was doing a group research project before with a smoker and another girl. Me and the girl would take turns to sit next to the smoker, he smelt so bad it gave me headaches.

If it was a serious relationship I would honestly expect them to quit. They can't smoke around me because of my asthma anyway, which I made really bad by a brief stint of smoking when drinking a few years ago.
    Same as.

As a teenager I kissed someone who smoked and thought I'd be sick on him if I didn't stop. I've never been with one since. I think I was already off the idea with two smoking parents, but the taste was the nail in the coffin for me. I tried to push my boundaries at one stage and wanted to find out what was so great about them. How people can get past the point of it tasting so foul to an addiction I will never understand.

I don't want it to seem like I'm attacking smokers, I'm not. Bad breath in general is a bit of a turn off for anyone. It may be different smoker to smoker, but for those that never took to it, it's harder accept.

Kissing and being close is important in any relationship, so a non smoker with little dating experience with smokers may just be the clincher.

/honest

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Carbon Bootprint

Having smoked for years I have a hard time accepting people around me whose clothes reek of the stuff. If a chick is hot, maybe a quick ride but nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭KenSwee

No, the clear winner. Thanks for posting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I have no doubt everyone would date a smoker if they were drop dead gorgeous and sound

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

The only thing that really disgusts me about smokers is the way they fling their cigarette butts everwhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭qwert2

Spent a year in UCD. The amount of attractive girls who smoke is staggering. They become half as attractive when smoking

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    I have no doubt everyone would date a smoker if they were drop dead gorgeous and sound

You're wrong, I wouldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

KenSwee wrote: »

I'm sure if Scarlett Johannsen sashayed up and propositioned you with a cigarette in her mouth you'd tell her where to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

If they are prepared to 'smoke the Wavin' then yes I would :p

I'm no wrong, you would!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Super Poppa Smurf

Kissing a smoker is like kissing an ashtray so no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

How do you know ?

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    I'm sure if Scarlett Johannsen sashayed up and propositioned you with a cigarette in your mouth you'd tell her where to go

Ehh yes, I would. The majority of my original post is about that.
    No matter how attractive they were I always drew the line with they drew a cigarette. I turned down some great opportunities and walked away from some beautiful women but I have no regrets.
    I'm no wrong, you would!

Assuming I am part of 'everyone', then you are wrong. Looks are nothing when you smell disgusting and look like you've drawn 10 pints of blood from your face. Although drop dead is a good term to use there.

Ehh yes, I would. The majority of my original post is about that.

Assuming I am part of 'everyone', then you are wrong. Looks are nothing when you smell disgusting and look like you've drawn 10 pints of blood from your face. Although drop dead is a good term to use there.

I'm not going to argue with you but I think you are totally and absolutely full of sh*t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

My lady smokes so yeah. I'd rather she didn't but it's her choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I've dated smokers before..........maybe because I've met them in the smoking area of places :pac:

Gf I'm with now is a non-smoker and I've no problem not smoking around her or in the house. The way I see it, it helps me to cut down on them, which it has since I don't smoke nowhere near as much a day as I used to. (I'm down to 5-6 a day :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

If I met a girl and I was attracted to her. Her habits wouldnt even cross my mind. But as a smoker if a girl has "issues" whit me smoking, its her problem, not mine. Id be better off without her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Smokin hot: yes

Smoker: no

Gave em up, don't want back on them again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭war_child

dgt wrote: »
    Smokin hot: yes

Smoker: no

Gave em up, don't want back on them again :)

So let me get this right , u used to smoke and then you gave em up. Hmmmm so your one of these born again high horse people, smokers were ok when you were smoking but since YOUVE given them up you have now copped a holier than tho attitude.....

pot kettle anyone ...lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

I did smoke for a few years, now I'd have a few smokes once or twice a month when drinking so if I started dating a smoker I'd probably end up smoking all the time again but its not a deal breaker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

I'm already married to one so no.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

my girl is an ex smoker now, only thing that bothered me was her heading off outside to smoke when out for dinner, shed pull me out too. Or after getting off a plane she would be dying for one so even though we had an interconnecting flight to get we had to do a 15 min walk to get outside for her to light up. :mad:

so thankfully that's over with, the world is not smoker friendly any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

I've kissed a smokers and it was a nice experience, I'll have to go look for an ashtray:D

war_child wrote: »
    So let me get this right , u used to smoke and then you gave em up. Hmmmm so your one of these born again high horse people, smokers were ok when you were smoking but since YOUVE given them up you have now copped a holier than tho attitude.....

pot kettle anyone ...lol

I think you took it up wrong... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I find it funny that somebody says kissing a smoker is like kissing an ashtray.

I started smoking again at 21, after several years off of them (I started young). In my time not smoking, I dated some smokers that did taste like an ashtray, but the majority were sensible enough to not smoke around me, have chewing gum, deodorant, etc. One guy I dated for three months, I had no idea he smoked.

Now that I'm smoking, my boyfriend didn't realise I was a smoker until I told him. I never smell or taste like cigarettes. You might say that a smoker can never tell if they smell like it, but most of my non-smoker friends didn't realise I smoked until one day when I lit up in front of them on a night out.

If you're careful with hygiene and how much/often you smoke, there is no reason why kissing a smoker would be like kissing an ashtray.

With that said, I'd happily date a smoker or a non smoker. Even if I quit smoking again, I don't care about my partner smoking. I never smoke in my house anyway, and I would expect any smoker I'm dating to respect that rule. That's the only real stipulation I have when it comes to dating a smoker.

pot kettle anyone ...lol

I'm sorry, I can't hear you from up there... Come down off that high horse :rolleyes:

You didn't bother your arse to understand what that post meant

Nooooo.... I don't want to go back smoking after quitting. A simple precaution. People smoke, they smoke, I have no problems with that :)

Calm down will ya, go light one up, sounds like ya need one :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭war_child

dgt wrote: »
    Nooooo.... I don't want to go back smoking after quitting. A simple precaution :)

Calm down will ya, go light one up, sounds like ya need one :pac:

Just your statement dgt , didnt really make any sense it was ok for someone to be with u wen u smoked but now u dont you wouldnt date someone who does kind of a double standard....just sayin

And thanks i did have a smoke and a cuppa was really nice...cheers for your concern for my well being lol

Just your statement dgt , didnt really make any sense it was ok for someone to be with u wen u smoked but now u dont you wouldnt date someone who does kind of a double standard....just sayin

And thanks i did have a smoke and a cuppa was really nice...cheers for your concern for my well being lol

People I know smoke, leave em to it, lol. If you ever quit, you will know how much of a temptation it is when there is someone else around smoking, that little gremlin saying "go on, one won't be any harm, do it" lol. If I were dating someone who smoked, I'll give them a chance and I'm sure they would understand if they showed an interest, lol. But I try to stay away from smokers when I can, lol.

LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Thread needs poll.

I have, and wouldn't again. For a start, I need my inhaler after being around smokers. Secondly, the smell off your clothes, and thirdly kissing someone that tastes of fags is rotten.

You should have spent more time kissing fanny\stones

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Super Poppa Smurf

mattjack wrote: »
    How do you know ?

Cause I already kissed a smoker DUH!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Oh so that's why I'm single:o Is it really that much a turn off a woman smoking?:eek:

ziggy23 wrote: »
    Oh so that's why I'm single:o Is it really that much a turn off a woman smoking?:eek:

I feel your pain ziggy. Im in the same boat. :( Because im a smoker aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

I feel your pain ziggy. Im in the same boat. :( Because im a smoker aswell.

Was only discussing with someone earlier Champix the drug that can help you quit. I really want to give up for my health and my wallet but now I may as well add my lovelife to that:(

ziggy23 wrote: »
    Was only discussing with someone earlier Champix the drug that can help you quit. I really want to give up for my health and my wallet but now I may as well add my lovelife to that:(

Health and money, maybe. Lovelife? I dont thik so, If a lad dosnt want you just because you smoke.. He just isnt worth it.

Advertisement