Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extending broadband connection to other house

• 03-07-2012 5:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭

Currently I have a broadband connection in my house, and I would like to extend that connection to a granny flat at the back of my house. The walls are to thick and the flat too far (approx. 20-25m) for the wireless to be picked up.

How can I extend the connection out to the other house??

Thx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Dazza

sudzy wrote: »
    Currently I have a broadband connection in my house, and I would like to extend that connection to a granny flat at the back of my house. The walls are to thick and the flat too far (approx. 20-25m) for the wireless to be picked up.

How can I extend the connection out to the other house??

Thx
    Is the granny flats electricity provided by the same electricity as the house is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭sudzy

No, it's seperate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Run an ethernet cable. You could run it through an alkathene pipe and bury the pipe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭sudzy

Would an ethernet cable stretch that far?
    Would the data rate not be affected?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

You can get up to gigabit speeds over 100m on ethernet according to the standard.

25m shouldn't be a problem. If you're putting down a cable you don't intend to move you should use solid core cable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Zab wrote: »
    You can get up to gigabit speeds over 100m on ethernet according to the standard.

25m shouldn't be a problem. If you're putting down a cable you don't intend to move you should use solid core cable.

+1 if you can run it do it. Speeds will be fine 25m is nothing for Ethernet id use solid core shielded.

Advertisement