Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How high can mice climb?

• 03-07-2012 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Hi
    Just wondering about how high a mouse is willing to climb? I have a newly built 2 storey house with rough wet dashing on the outside. There is gaps between fascia and wall at the roof so it'd be easy for a mouse to get in to roof if it was not afraid of heights? I want the plasterer to fill in the gaps but He is saying that He is almost certain (99%) that a mouse would not climb that high? I'm not so sure at all? I think brave ones would in really frosty weather? I used to have them on the ground floor until I blocked up gaps. I must check though that they cant get in to cavity now and out through wall at top where cavity closure may be leaving a gap. I've bonded bead insulation in cavity. They'd probably walk through it if they got in there
    Anyway the main question I have is would a mouse climb such a wall from outside?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

Espoo wrote: »
    Hi
    Just wondering about how high a mouse is willing to climb? I have a newly built 2 storey house with rough wet dashing on the outside. There is gaps between fascia and wall at the roof so it'd be easy for a mouse to get in to roof if it was not afraid of heights? I want the plasterer to fill in the gaps but He is saying that He is almost certain (99%) that a mouse would not climb that high? I'm not so sure at all? I think brave ones would in really frosty weather? I used to have them on the ground floor until I blocked up gaps. I must check though that they cant get in to cavity now and out through wall at top where cavity closure may be leaving a gap. I've bonded bead insulation in cavity. They'd probably walk through it if they got in there
    Anyway the main question I have is would a mouse climb such a wall from outside?

Cheers

yes.......and a cat can.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

A mouse can climb as high as it wants to. If there's a hole then aside from mice you could get squirrels, birds or bats in there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

lol, I don't think you need to worry about the mice climbing up the outside of the house. They'll find a way inside on the ground floor and make their way up from there.

But, like already pointed out, they will be able to climb up the outside if they felt like it (I used to get mice running around in the gutters, makes an awful noise and it took forever to figure out what it was)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I'v seen mice running up the curtains before and from watching pet rodents (hamsters and gerbils) they are quite agile and fast and I would imagine quite capable of climbing up, whether they would actually do it or not I don't know. I would be more worried about birds or bats entering and nesting inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Espoo

Thanks folks
    Yeah I've seen mice go just about anywhere too. I thought it was kinda funny that this guy was trying to convince me that they wouldn't climb that high on the outside. I'd say I should be safe enough when it comes to squirrels birds and bats though. Gaps are just slightly bigger than pencil size

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭SonOfAdam

I once moved rooms in a New York hotel because of a mouse - that was on the 17th floor - porter said he must've been in training with NASA :D

Advertisement