Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using housemates' room

Options
  • 03-07-2012 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Is it too much of an ask to ask a housemate if it would be possible to use their room while they are away and you are having some people visit? Ensuring them the sheets would be changed and room left untouched.

This housemate is newish only here about a month and is very nice, friendly and clean but would this be something you'd only ask a better known housemate?

I wouldnt mind if someone asked me but thats not the same :)

Anyhow, I was just wondering what people think and how to see if this was a possibility? I dont mind breaking out the airbeds instead!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

after a month, i would be slow to ask because they might feel they must say yes but then never go away again in case you ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I'd ask, but make it very clear that you realise it's a big request, and that no offense at all would be taken if she says no. I'd also highlight that it's a one off situation, and won't happen regularly.

Just be aware that if she says yes, you might need to return the favour - would you be happy with complete strangers in your room while you were away?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

I would hate to have people stay in my room. I would also feel a little bit pressured if I was asked a month after moving in. People are welcome to use or borrow my stuff but my room is mine!! I would go with the airbeds if it suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I would also go with the airbeds. They may not feel able to say no after just a month, or feel that you'll hate them forever if they do. I would also personally hate anyone I didn't know sleeping in my bed.

As a compromise you could say that you are having people over while they're away, if they don't mind yadda, and that you'll set them up with airbeds. And then leave it up to the housemate whether they want to offer their room.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

You could also suggest to them that your guests use your room and you use your housemates so it wouldn't be strangers in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Flat out no from me; they can bring airbeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭itsnotmyname

its a NO from me ......from my years of house sharing, that was the kinda thing that caused the most aggro!
    .....Save yourself the hassle ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

vamos! wrote: »
    I would hate to have people stay in my room. I would also feel a little bit pressured if I was asked a month after moving in. People are welcome to use or borrow my stuff but my room is mine!! I would go with the airbeds if it suits.

I agree with this.

Why don't your friends should stay in your bed and you sleep on the airbed?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Ex house mate had her parents over before,

She slept in my room, They slept in hers.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

no way, I would never ask a house mate to do that.
    Bad idea, Blow up air bed from Home store and more 50 Quid buddy !
    In any event if this was allowed you are inviting some crap

(something taken...........)
    (Clothes moved.............)
    Drawers looked through)

Thats a **** storm waiting to happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Caseywhale

Offer to rent the room from them while they are away.
    Otherwise dont even ask. You are putting them in an unfair situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

breadhead wrote: »
    Is it too much of an ask to ask a housemate if it would be possible to use their room while they are away and you are having some people visit? Ensuring them the sheets would be changed and room left untouched.

How can you ensure the room would be left untouched ?
    Are you going to sleep in there to guarantee that ?
    This housemate is newish only here about a month and is very nice, friendly and clean but would this be something you'd only ask a better known housemate?

Surely the worry should not be about the housemate being clean, but whether your guest(s) are clean ?
    I wouldnt mind if someone asked me but thats not the same :)

Just because you deem something ok and would be willing to do it, does not mean everyone else is of the same opinion.
    You are talking about someones personal space here.
    Anyhow, I was just wondering what people think and how to see if this was a possibility? I dont mind breaking out the airbeds instead!

Whilst housesharing, I have had friends stay.
    One stayed even for a couple of weeks as they were on work placement.
    I asked the others before hand if it was ok, but there was no way in hell I would dream of suggesting he use their room whilst they may be away.
    Their room is their personal space.

If the sexes of the housemate and perspective guest(s) are different you are stirring up even more worries regarding imtimate stuff.

Anyway I believe you are possibly stirring up a load of sh** by even asking the question.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Inappropriate and putting the housemate in an uncomfortable situation, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

Totally inappropriate. I'd hate somebody sleeping in my space!

Advertisement