Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licence in progress????

Options
  • 03-07-2012 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

I'm waiting for a substition an couldn't get into contact with anyone in my local station today about my licence when i called in and was told to phone up tomorrow as the person who deals with the licensing will be there, so googled the firearms policy unit and rang them,when i got through he was able to tell me that the new gun was up on the system and had licence in progress on it, so curious what this means? The seargent on the phone was dead sound but couldn't tell me anymore and said i'll have to contact my local station which i intend to do tomorrow if i get a chance with work, i just want to know what this means and what the delay is as i originally applied 8 weeks ago and after not hearing anything in 4 weeks i called back in and low and behold nothing had been done with it, and 4 weeks on again i still have no licence, the fact that its in progress does this mean that they are delaying it for some reason, e.g want a meeting with me or want to check security or is it a case of it has been forgotten about again and just after being sent to the super in the last few days?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I could be wrong, but here is the way i see it.

In progress means the details of your application have been entered. As to whether this means the license is granted, and is being "finalised" so you get the grant or whether it means the application has not been fully signed off on well i really don't know.

However if the policy unit say it's in progress, and not "in print" or whatever term they use for granted, would suggest the FCA1, while on PULSE, is still at station level.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

Ya i forgot to mention that the guy on the phone told me that it must be waiting to be signed off for, so i'm thinking either the super only got the sub in the last few days off the guard i dealt with or else the super is delaying it for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

It means it's.. In progress.

Basically just waiting for the super to sign off.

When he signs off he will update the computer to say granted, not granted etc.

That in turn automatically generates a grant letter at HQ.

Arrives in your door the following day and off to the Post Office with your €80.

Honestly i wouldn't say it's a purpose act to delay the application. There is a serious shortage of Super's, and their time is very limited. In Laois there is now only one Super to cover all five stations, and an Inspector has now started to sign off on applications in my local station.

IOW it could be a simple manpower issue. I'm sure if it's on PULSE, but not yet signed off on in the station because they wanted to meet you, then you would have gotten a notification by now.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

keano25 wrote: »
    It means it's.. In progress.

Basically just waiting for the super to sign off.

When he signs off he will update the computer to say granted, not granted etc.

That in turn automatically generates a grant letter at HQ.

Arrives in your door the following day and off to the Post Office with your €80.

Ya but its been in progress for four weeks so whats the delay?????? Over 8 weeks since i originally applied

And i hope i dont have to pay 80 euro, i didn't the last time for a sub, i filled in the form in the station and my license arrived some few days later, no other letter saying it was being processed like others have received and as it was a sub no need to pay the 80 in post office

• Advertisement

Subs are free, and while you get a grant letter the license will follow a few days later.

ormondprop wrote: »
    Ya but its been in progress for four weeks so whats the delay?????? Over 8 weeks since i originally applied

And i hope i dont have to pay 80 euro, i didn't the last time for a sub, i filled in the form in the station and my license arrived some few days later, no other letter saying it was being processed like others have received and as it was a sub no need to pay the 80 in post office

My apologies missed the sub part.

The reason it would say in progress is because it has been imputed on the system by the FO.

Simply waiting for Super to sign off.. probably in a pile of paper for him somewhere.

He could be on holiday.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

I'm waiting for a substition an couldn't get into contact with anyone in my local station today about my licence when i called in and was told to phone up tomorrow as the person who deals with the licensing will be there, so googled the firearms policy unit and rang them,when i got through he was able to tell me that the new gun was up on the system and had licence in progress on it, so curious what this means? The seargent on the phone was dead sound but couldn't tell me anymore and said i'll have to contact my local station which i intend to do tomorrow if i get a chance with work, i just want to know what this means and what the delay is as i originally applied 8 weeks ago and after not hearing anything in 4 weeks i called back in and low and behold nothing had been done with it, and 4 weeks on again i still have no licence, the fact that its in progress does this mean that they are delaying it for some reason, e.g want a meeting with me or want to check security or is it a case of it has been forgotten about again and just after being sent to the super in the last few days?

Hang in there, my application is in progerss (on their system) for 13 weeks now but 15 since I put it in.:(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭lb1981

Yep my shotgun sub took 2 months and my new one for a .17hmr is on the system for nearly 3 , they are blaming the new pre populated forms for the delay and the massive back log , pain in the hole , i have a lot of farmers with bunny problems and a lad who is waiting for payment on the gun so it is getting fairly frustrating now.

Just off the phone now and was tol my license has gone through on the 1st or 2nd so should arrive anyday now hopefully,

Delighted

• Advertisement

Just off the phone now and was tol my license has gone through on the 1st or 2nd so should arrive anyday now hopefully,

Delighted

Worrying for noting. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

lb1981 wrote: »
    , they are blaming the new pre populated forms for the delay and the massive back log , pain in the hole ,.

Surely the new pre populated forms would speed up the whole process, not slow it down?????:confused::confused::confused:

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Surely the new pre populated forms would speed up the whole process, not slow it down?????:confused::confused::confused:
    **** you and your logic :D , yeah i was told that they are so busy transfering all the details over on to the licence templates that they are snowed under and the new aplications are taking longer as they are not getting overtime now......... we all know it is just an excuse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭Constab2

Waiting on a sub myself nearly 4 weeks now cannot get any answers second time in a matter of months,really pissed off of the whole system puts you off changing or upgrading.Must be infuriating for any RFD in this country to try & do business dealing with this bureaucratic nightmare.

Constab2 wrote: »
    Waiting on a sub myself nearly 4 weeks now cannot get any answers second time in a matter of months,really pissed off of the whole system puts you off changing or upgrading.Must be infuriating for any RFD in this country to try & do business dealing with this bureaucratic nightmare.
    Tell me about it,I have a lad off of here waiting on payment for a gun nearly 3 months now,I feel ****e about it

Tell me about it,I have a lad off of here waiting on payment for a gun nearly 3 months now,I feel ****e about it

I'm the same, i bought the gun the 1st week in may and he's waiting for me to collect it so he can collect his new gun, i don't get how some people get theres in less than a week and others wait months, definately put you off changing guns, must be infuriating for dealers

It eventually arrived today after just over 8 weeks of waiting, i got my "s" back as the last time i subbed it didn't have it but was told that it was on pulse so it was ok to use a mod, but the expiry date is 01/01/0000,

Cant wait to collect it now

I'm the same, i bought the gun the 1st week in may and he's waiting for me to collect it so he can collect his new gun, i don't get how some people get theres in less than a week and others wait months, definately put you off changing guns, must be infuriating for dealers

The problem is in the local station, some are better then others. Just depends on who takes your application at the counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

I just collected my winchester last week which i bought at the very start of last october missed all last season and when the dealer finally got it in i had to wait again as when they were printing the licence they decided to add an extra 6 in the middle of the serial number. This country is a complete joke when it comes to firearms etc... Thats why i am moving:p:D

It eventually arrived today after just over 8 weeks of waiting, i got my "s" back as the last time i subbed it didn't have it but was told that it was on pulse so it was ok to use a mod, but the expiry date is 01/01/0000,

Cant wait to collect it now
    Nice one, i rang the civic offices in the station to get an update today .the one that deals with them is on 2 weeks leave:mad: , im like a ****ing lunatic going around now.

• Advertisement

Nice one, i rang the civic offices in the station to get an update today .the one that deals with them is on 2 weeks leave:mad: , im like a ****ing lunatic going around now.

Good to see I am not the only one (wife is going to get house blessed after I saw post man bypassing house this morning with the colourful lingo I hurled around the gaff) 10 days my ?.

Constab2 wrote: »
    Good to see I am not the only one (wife is going to get house blessed after I saw post man bypassing house this morning with the colourful lingo I hurled around the gaff) 10 days my ?.
    My shotgun sub took 2 months by the time this one gets back off holidays it will be nearly for months since i sent this in..... im under pressure to go bunny bashing and i want to pay the lad for the gun..it is holding up a few other things i want to get as well... they dont care what they are holding up and they are on a go slow now with no overtime

That is a disgrace I thought I was bad waited 5 weeks for for a sub for the shotgun,just waiting on a sub now on a 204.Sorry to hear that hope you get sorted soon

Rang FPU today great lads staffing the place informed 204 licence winging its way to me.Over the moon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭wexfordman

I got my new .243 licence recently, and seem to have only got it because the application had or was almost about to expire. My understanding is that they have a set time in which they need to give you a reply, or its an automatic refusal, and you can then appeal.

I beleive mine was about to expire (I got the date from the fpu), and rang them to remind them the day before. Got a call next day saying the application had expired, but they re-entered it themselves and approved it straight away. Got the licence a few days later.

The deadline and automatic refusal seems to be the thing that spurs them on, so I would suggest getting the date from your local station or the fpu, and if it approaches this date or passes it, make calls.

Saying that, a mate applied a few weeks after me, and he did the above, and was told that the application had only been recveived beginning of the month (but he had submitted it at least 2 months previous)!

I think everyone is supposed to receive a letter acknowledging receipt of application and providing a decision date, but never got one myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭wexfordman

wexfordman wrote: »
    I got my new .243 licence recently, and seem to have only got it because the application had or was almost about to expire. My understanding is that they have a set time in which they need to give you a reply, or its an automatic refusal, and you can then appeal.

I beleive mine was about to expire (I got the date from the fpu), and rang them to remind them the day before. Got a call next day saying the application had expired, but they re-entered it themselves and approved it straight away. Got the licence a few days later.

The deadline and automatic refusal seems to be the thing that spurs them on, so I would suggest getting the date from your local station or the fpu, and if it approaches this date or passes it, make calls.

Saying that, a mate applied a few weeks after me, and he did the above, and was told that the application had only been recveived beginning of the month (but he had submitted it at least 2 months previous)!

I think everyone is supposed to receive a letter acknowledging receipt of application and providing a decision date, but never got one myself.

Just an update on my mates application! He got approv yesterday (I think because the dealer actually kicked up with the gardai over length of time it was taking)!

Interesting though, he got refused the sound mod! Very odd as same super as mine, which was approved, and he submitted pretty much the exact same justification for the mod! AND the super made him go get a letter from his doc at a cost of 50 quid to say the bang was bad for his ears!

Unbelievable!

Advertisement