Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What WON'T you read?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

And all that dwarves and orcs type fantasy stuff.
    :eek:
    I think I'd give everything a go. I think I've read some of the misery lit, chick lit, sports books by boring boring people where nothing interesting get's said Mr. Giggs, and Mr. O'Gara here's looking at ye. I've even read the first book Jordan wrote (it came free in a magazine) so don't think there's anything I wouldn't read.

Oh wait I got a book called Jude in London as a present and could not figure out what the hell was happening after two chapters so couldn't read anymore. So that book but yep would give everything a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

:eek:
    I think I'd give everything a go. I think I've read some of the misery lit, chick lit, sports books by boring boring people where nothing interesting get's said Mr. Giggs, and Mr. O'Gara here's looking at ye. I've even read the first book Jordan wrote (it came free in a magazine) so don't think there's anything I wouldn't read.

Oh wait I got a book called Jude in London as a present and could not figure out what the hell was happening after two chapters so couldn't read anymore. So that book but yep would give everything a go.

If it's not well-written, why bother?

(And yeah, I'm generalising with the orcs and elves stuff. I have tried. But it seems - from the books I did read - that it was more about having orcs and elves in them rather than a story that necessitated orcs and elves to further the plot).

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

Jane Eyre, and anything by (the) Bronte(s).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

There are probably only two books that I can say I will never pick up to read: Ulysses and Finnegans Wake, both by James Joyce.

Apart from those two there is nothing that I would rule out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

- Misery lit. I have read the Ma, He sold me..series and I do like her writing style but yeah they are just too miserable. Never again.
    - Romance, Mills and Boon.
    - Philosophy, prose, books that are too 'deep'.
    - Crime/detective novels
    - Trashy celebrity ghost-written stuff like Katie Price' "books"
    - Modern autobiographies, just no interest. (Historical personages are fine)
    - Terrible chick lit, I have standards with this genre! I enjoy Marian Keyes and Melissa Hill in particular. Huge amounts of crap I won't read but there ARE good engaging reads within this genre
    - Danielle Steele!
    - Self-help books
    - Non-fiction stuff like 'This is why Ireland's economy is ****ed' and 'What went wrong with the banks'
    - Twilight, Hunger Games and anything with vampires
    - Horror

My favourite genre, historical fiction, often dips into some of the above- horror, crime, mystery, thriller etc. but as a general rule I avoid the above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 wlzkelly

I wouldn't bother reading at all if it weren't for a love of poetry.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Supermensch

I'm not too keen on biographies, I'll read the odd one if it's gotten good reviews.

One particular type of book, I'm not sure what you'd call them, books written to convey a philosophical theory with a 'real' world narrative. An example of this is Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged, pure ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

One particular type of book, I'm not sure what you'd call them, books written to convey a philosophical theory with a 'real' world narrative. An example of this is Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged, pure ****e.

I think that may be an over reach because you are dismissing authors like Huxley, Orwell, Sartre, Beckett and all postmodernist classics actually and modernism to a certain extent and greek tragedy and Shakespearean drama, hell nearly all great pieces of literature and drama are heavily grounded in philosophy.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

I have an aversion to books written in the present tense ie 'I look at him, I say. We walk into the room etc.

Before I buy a book I open it to a random page in the middle and read a paragraph just to check i'm not put off by the way it's written.

I'm not too keen on books written in the first person either!

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Persiancowboy

Anything by that smug sh*te Roddy Doyle

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Shivers26

What I won't read

- Misery-lit. I used to read loads them and they were just draining the life out of me so no more. I gathered them all up and put them on bookmooch. Won't even have them in the house any more.
    - Mills & Boon
    - Sci-Fi / Fantasy. Not really my thing.
    - 'Celebrity' Autobiographies
    - I do read some chick-lit and I stress some. I have a couple of writers that I particularly like but I don't cast the net much wider than that. I think Marian Keyes is class.

I read Fifty Shades of Sh1te just to see what all the fuss was about and I won't lie I did read all three of them. The first one was woeful, I'd have brained the fecker and for the life of me I can't see the attraction to this character. The sex bits were not even remotely the most shocking this about this book. The story improves slightly in the second and third books but not by much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 Tony Trap

Novelisations of Hollywood movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Dromineer

Fiifty Shades of Grey, Twilight, Hunger Games, True Blood and fanfiction lit. I love originality and a book that requires some deep thinking and the books mentioned tend to lack these elements. They are okay to read, but bore the heck out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 catgirl2012

girly chic lit books!!...thats about it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

- Misery Lit, for all the reasons others have mentioned
    - Horror/crime novels - don't find them enjoyable
    - Autobiographies or novels from Z list celebs eg Jordan, Cheryl Cole
    - anything by Cecelia Ahern - got one of her books one year as a Christmas present from my mum, so I had to read it as she kept asking me was I finished it yet (once I start a book, I get a bit obsessed and have to keep reading til its finished) and did I enjoy it. Anyways, it was torture, the greatest load of cr*p I've ever read, about some make believe character, whose name was make believe backwards. I didn't think I'd ever get to the end of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

Terms and Conditions.

Other than that, I'll give anything a start at least....

• Registered Users Posts: 40 jeanadamz

So much of an erotic books, I just can't stand love scenes describe in details.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,988 ✭✭✭✭bnt

"Misery Lit" - that's a new one on me, but I agree. Tales of abuse and the daily grind don't do it for me in movies either e.g. I don't care to see any Ken Loach films I don't think I've read any of them, not unless you include Stephen King's Misery.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Advertisement