Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question for a Plasterer

• 03-07-2012 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

A question for any Plasterers out there, I want to have a bedroom replastererd. Whats the standard proceedure, can painted walls be scored and hardwalled over, or do I neeed to remove the paint, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ypvs

joint filler to bad areas and sand down. unless they are really bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,186 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Probably more at home in DIY.

Moved from C & P.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 280 ✭✭engineermike

Hi -
    yes you can plaster on painted walls. (Not wallpaper'd walls, nor wallpaper that has been painted on - all paper must be removed as it reacts to the mositure in your skim mix).

Normal procedure -(A) wash down walls - just ensure there relatively clean surface to adhere to ( don't need to go to town on washing down the walls)

(B) - Scratch the entire surface to be skimmed - take a stanly knife and score the walls - in a criss cross pattern isn't a bad idea /// \\\ if you know what i mean - !
    (C) - Get a roller or large brush - Coat entire walls in PVA - glue bond - mixed in ratio of 4 or 5 parts water to one part PVA - glue bond. - Completely coat wall surface, repeat 3 or 4 times. Apply one more complete coat finally (but mix PVA 3 parts water 1 part PVA ).

Your ready to apply your skim coat of plaster once PVA coats dry in -(later that day, next day).
    Regards,
    Mike F:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭Rangi

Another option could be,if there's going to be a lot of work in removing/prepping,is to simply fix new plasterboard over the walls,then have them skimmed? That's what I am likely to do soon,as my walls are papered,some with several layers of paper and painted paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭650gs

You dont need to do any of that at all, the right way is to remove any paper and buy a bucket of Tistle bond in any builders yard even B&Q you paint this to the walls being carefull not to splash it on anything as it sets like concrete and be sure to stir it as you use it.
    Its made specialy for this type of thing if you do this skim will stick to glass with out a bother

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Hi -
    yes you can plaster on painted walls. (Not wallpaper'd walls, nor wallpaper that has been painted on - all paper must be removed as it reacts to the mositure in your skim mix).

Normal procedure -(A) wash down walls - just ensure there relatively clean surface to adhere to ( don't need to go to town on washing down the walls)

(B) - Scratch the entire surface to be skimmed - take a stanly knife and score the walls - in a criss cross pattern isn't a bad idea /// \\\ if you know what i mean - !
    (C) - Get a roller or large brush - Coat entire walls in PVA - glue bond - mixed in ratio of 4 or 5 parts water to one part PVA - glue bond. - Completely coat wall surface, repeat 3 or 4 times. Apply one more complete coat finally (but mix PVA 3 parts water 1 part PVA ).

Your ready to apply your skim coat of plaster once PVA coats dry in -(later that day, next day).
    Regards,
    Mike F:)

The standard procedure for reskimming walls (once the wallpaper or putty-lime finish has been removed) is:

PVA:Water 1:5 painted on to stabilise background

When that's dry ........... mix the skim coat.

Then quickly paint on PVA:WATER 1:3 (this gives it the adhesion) and while the glue is tacky start applying the skim coat.

If you wait for the glue to dry before applying the skim coat, the plaster will blow before a year is out ........ as you are now plastering on top of plastic/poly vinyl.

If using Thistlebond ........ you can let it dry as it has a grainy composition to allow the skim coat to grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭mail

Thanks everyone for the information, just want to make sure its done right.

Advertisement