Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Isn't it about time football coverage was modernised?

• 03-07-2012 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

The current format of having 3 stuffy middle aged men dressed in suits sat around a table in some studio just doesn't cut it with me anymore. The current camera angel for the actual game, where the camera is located at the halfway line and mid way up the stand just isn't good enough, its good for most of the play but you don't really get to see how hard players are working, how fast they are running etc cause its too far away, they need to mix it up a bit more.

Here's what they need to do:

- Panelists and reporters have full access inside the ground and can go anywhere and interview anyone at any time.

- The panelists can start their prematch chat at pitchside and then walk about the place and maybe end up outside the changing rooms. If they see players or coaches going in or out they can grab them for a short interview.

- When players are warming up on the pitch, a reporter could go on and have a brief chat with some of the players.

- They can have a camerman and roving reporter on the touchline during the game who is allowed to interview the manager and coaching staff and substitutes while play is going on. FIFA/UEFA will obviously have to give the ok but its perfectly doable. The managers won't like it but fcuk em, they get paid well.

- Introduce "player cam." A miniscule camera is attached to a players shirt, probably at the collar. It would be tiny and weigh virtually nothing, so wouldn't restrict players in any way, and they would all have to wear them anyway so no one is at a disadvantage. Think about how great it would be to see one of ronaldo's dazzling runs from his viewpoint.

- Refs, linesmen and keepers would also have to wear the cams.

- Bring in stats, I'm not talking about bombarding us with tons of boring states, I'm just talking about the most interesting ones, such as ground covered and speed. I would like to know who is the fastest player on the pitch, especially when the likes of ronaldo and messi are playing each other. Also the most distance covered and least distance covered stats could throw up some surprises and have some talking points at half time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Football coverage is intrusive enough as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Honestly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Sky/Espn do enough of what you are taling about as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Forehead cameras FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭delad

kryogen wrote: »
    Sky/Espn do enough of what you are taling about as it is.

Do they? Any time I've watched sky they haven't done those things. If they interviewed subs during the game and introduced player cams I would purchase sky tomorrow.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    What about forehead cameras?!

I thought about this too, if they wore a headband with a cam inserted, but then it would affect them when they head the ball so is a non runner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

I'm not too bothered with the analysis as I rarely watch it. But I do look forward to a day when all matches on tv give a much higher wider angle so that more of the game can be seen and a better understanding can be drawn.

Check out the recent video from the Sergio Biscuits thread.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijDdpNxPyPU&t=12m40s
    (I start it a bit early just to remind you of the difference. The bit I mean is at about 12m51s onwards)
    They use a high angle shot at one point that really shows you whats happening in a way you just don't get with the conventional camera angle on tv (even with current widescreen sets).

Same with behind the goal angles. I recently watched a full game version of the Greece 2004 final from a camera high up behind one of the goals. Basically you got a more or less static camera that was showing the full pitch for the whole game. It was a revelation from a tactical point of view to be able to see exactly what Greece were doing defensively. So much so that you were basically wasting your time before trying to make out what was going on with the regular camera angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭HyperSkypeWiper

delad wrote: »
    - The panelists can start their prematch chat at pitchside and then walk about the place and maybe end up outside the changing rooms. If they see players or coaches going in or out they can grab them for a short interview.

- They can have a camerman and roving reporter on the touchline during the game who is allowed to interview the manager and coaching staff and substitutes while play is going on. FIFA/UEFA will obviously have to give the ok but its perfectly doable. The managers won't like it but fcuk em, they get paid well.

I've seen ESPN do something like that, and it's not great. The only extra entertainment I got was John Barnes trying not to deck himself on all the wires they had trailing behind them.

RTE do the touch-line-mid-game interview thingy in LOI and it just distracts from the actual game tbh.

If it ain't broke....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I thought about this too, if they wore a headband with a cam inserted, but then it would affect them when they head the ball so is a non runner.
    Well done I can see you put a lot of thought into it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Whats the point of interviewing subs/managers during a game? Theyre hardly gonna give any info away or say their team is playing ****e. Camera angle will always be a compromise and the present setup probably gives the best overall return. Player cam would be pointless except as a gimmick for certain replays. Plenty of stats are given as it is. Pundits should stick to the studio (unless its Robbie Savage getting hit with a ball), pitchside analysis always looks/sounds crap as they struggle to hear each other over the stadium noise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

No thank you.

Players have to be mentally prepared for the game. I doubt having some plonker with a camera is going to help that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Player cam? Interviewing subs and manager?

Just show me the feckin match.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Just give me the three scruffy middle aged men in suits sitting around a table and the game itself thank you very much.

Although one thing I would like to see introduced is ref mics, ala rugby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

End of the day its all about the 90 minutes. I couldn't give a **** about anything else, its nice to sit there and listen to them, and watch the clips sure.

Grabbing a player/coach going into the dressing room? Thats only going to hinder the teams pregame stuff. I'd much rather them be inside discussing tactics, than outside, awkwardly, answering stupid questions.

Most, if not all of that seems stupid and unnecessary.

Muff_Daddy wrote: »
    Just give me the three scruffy middle aged men in suits sitting around a table and the game itself thank you very much.

Although one thing I would like to see introduced is ref mics, ala rugby.

Lets just hope the FA tells both teams about the mic next time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Give me the option of turning off the in-game commentary, while keeping the stadium sounds and I would be happy

ceegee wrote: »
    Whats the point of interviewing subs/managers during a game? Theyre hardly gonna give any info away or say their team is playing ****e. Camera angle will always be a compromise and the present setup probably gives the best overall return. Player cam would be pointless except as a gimmick for certain replays. Plenty of stats are given as it is. Pundits should stick to the studio (unless its Robbie Savage getting hit with a ball), pitchside analysis always looks/sounds crap as they struggle to hear each other over the stadium noise.

Because there is the possibility of a manager having a freakout during the game if his team is losing and you have some bloke trying to get a few words from him lol. Tensions run highest during the match so thats when you are most likely to get an interesting interview. Most interviews after matches give managers enough time to calm down and compose themselves (not always but most of the time, I know theres been a few exceptions).

If a player was subbed and is p1ssed off about it, then again, there is a greater likelihood of a funny/interesting interview.

The vast majority of after match interviews are tedious and pointless, with a load of cliches being spouted out. During match interviews will have a better chance of being entertaining in my opinion.

You're wrong about the current camera set up being the best. Its too stale having the same camera angle for so much of the match. Alternative viewpoints need to be brought in more and player cam would be perfect for this. Look at how much the hemlet and car camera's have improved f1's coverage (yes yes I know, football isn't f1 blah blah blah, my point remains).

Again, you are wrong about the stats. Some overall team states are very briefly shown at half time but usually only for a few seconds and not usually discussed, and they don't have the ones which would be most interesting such as distance covered by players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Ref cam so we can see what Alan Kelly actually sees.

Crossbar cam, just for the Craic.

Grabbing a player/coach going into the dressing room? Thats only going to hinder the teams pregame stuff.

I'm talking about a few words, not a 10 minute interview. In the same way F1 reporters go onto the grid and have brief chats with the drivers before the race. It all just makes it a bit more interesting, and helps build up the atmosphere, rather than having the 3 stuffy blokes in a studio trying to think up interesting things to say before the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Maybe if the camera was surgically inserted into their forehead, like a modern-day Cyclops, then if wouldn't have as much of an impact on the player's heading abilities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It definitely needs to be modernised. Nothing much has really changed since the origin of football coverage. Unfortunately, football fans are incredibly conservative and anything that is thought of outside the box will get criticised. Remember the furore over Sky moving the scorebox to the bottom of the screen :pac:

Im not too keen on the extra interviews. When RTE do it for LOI, i tend to feel uncomfortable.

I love the idea of a camera on a ref. It wouldnt work on players though. The refs should definetely be mic'd up for TV purposes.

I also agree about the stats. I like seeing who is covering the most ground and passes etc. I'd love to see a heart rate monitor (which some players do wear anyway). They wear monitors in Rugby and the management use it. The heart rate monitor would be great for penos and to see who is tired. Would also be great to see a manager have to answer questions about subbing players that are not tired.

In general i agree that more access is needed. For Formula 1 as an example the likes of the Pre Race pit walk is very popular with viewers. The drivers are talking to interviewers 3-4 minutes before a race. The standard of interviewing is pretty poor though especially Geoff Shreeves's i'll give you the answer and you elaberate style.

Football is a million miles behind most sports and we are getting seriously short changed as TV viewers. The same TV viewers that are the main financial contributors in high level football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I'm talking about a few words, not a 10 minute interview. In the same way F1 reporters go onto the grid and have brief chats with the drivers before the race. It all just makes it a bit more interesting, and helps build up the atmosphere, rather than having the 3 stuffy blokes in a studio trying to think up interesting things to say before the game.

You have been watching too much Rte this summer me thinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

So you're looking for Formula 1 coverage then...

Because there is the possibility of a manager having a freakout during the game if his team is losing and you have some bloke trying to get a few words from him lol. Tensions run highest during the match so thats when you are most likely to get an interesting interview. Most interviews after matches give managers enough time to calm down and compose themselves (not always but most of the time, I know theres been a few exceptions).

If a player was subbed and is p1ssed off about it, then again, there is a greater likelihood of a funny/interesting interview.

The vast majority of after match interviews are tedious and pointless, with a load of cliches being spouted out. During match interviews will have a better chance of being entertaining in my opinion.

You're wrong about the current camera set up being the best. Its too stale having the same camera angle for so much of the match. Alternative viewpoints need to be brought in more and player cam would be perfect for this. Look at how much the hemlet and car camera's have improved f1's coverage (yes yes I know, football isn't f1 blah blah blah, my point remains).

Again, you are wrong about the stats. Some overall team states are very briefly shown at half time but usually only for a few seconds and not usually discussed, and they don't have the ones which would be most interesting such as distance covered and by players.

Clubs would quickly clamp down on managers/players who make outbursts on tv during games, everyone would just give a no comment.
    Driver cams work because drivers are looking ahead of them down the track, footballers are constantly changing directions, it would look crap and people wouldnt know where the ball is.

Distance covered is often shown for individual players during matches especially when theyre being brought off.

Personally Id rather watch a match the traditional way than some Bournesque shaky cam while someone complains about a decision that went against them

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

You could be right here, but it will never take off, because people hate change. If Sky introduced a behind the goal camera angle for their main coverage, there would be uproar from people used to the tried and tested camera angle. Sure, have it for the red button, but not for their main coverage. It just wouldn't take off.

Do you remember the first few weeks of the 2007/08 season when sky changed the position of the SCOREBOARD to the bottom left of the screen, rather than the top left corner? There were complaints and the scoreboard was promptly put back to its origional position within weeks.

There aren't enough breaks in the game for mid-match interviews to take place. It works perfectly in the NFL for that reason. There is a break every 10-15 seconds and a longer one every 5 minutes or so.

The only way something like that might work would be if it was a 'red button' option on your remote. Back in the day there was the 'player cam', where a certain player was shown for 15 minutes or so. I didn't have Sky back then so I only ever used it once or twice. I've no idea why it was gotten rid of really.

I love the sky cam that is slowly being introduced. I know they cant follow the play around that much because of the ball hitting it but i would love to see it used more for set pieces. They really went for it a couple of years ago for an el classico match at the Bernabeu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

- Panelists and reporters have full access inside the ground and can go anywhere and interview anyone at any time.

- When players are warming up on the pitch, a reporter could go on and have a brief chat with some of the players.

- Introduce "player cam." A miniscule camera is attached to a players shirt, probably at the collar. It would be tiny and weigh virtually nothing, so wouldn't restrict players in any way, and they would all have to wear them anyway so no one is at a disadvantage. Think about how great it would be to see one of ronaldo's dazzling runs from his viewpoint.

- Refs, linesmen and keepers would also have to wear the cams.

- Bring in stats, I'm not talking about bombarding us with tons of boring states, I'm just talking about the most interesting ones, such as ground covered and speed. I would like to know who is the fastest player on the pitch, especially when the likes of ronaldo and messi are playing each other. Also the most distance covered and least distance covered stats could throw up some surprises and have some talking points at half time.

I have to agree with you some of the above, in fact you are being a bit conservative.

Globo TV of Brazil, used to interview Goalkeepers during games. During an obvious "nothing to do" period when the Goalkeeper is under-utilised and that was in the 1990's. It would be a pity if that tradition was lost.

Unfortunately I can't find any modern imagery (still or motion) of Goalkeepers being interviewed during a game but here is the closest I have found from Brazil. What would be the difference in this interview taking place during a game.

(interview with FAC Jefferson Goalkeeper)

I love the sky cam that is slowly being introduced. I know they cant follow the play around that much because of the ball hitting it but i would love to see it used more for set pieces. They really went for it a couple of years ago for an el classico match at the Bernabeu.

It's great, just as long as it doesn't break and nearly slice someone's head clean off. It'd make for an interesting '3rd Eye' on Soccer AM the following week though.

• Advertisement

Give me the option of turning off the in-game commentary, while keeping the stadium sounds and I would be happy

They did that on BBC for the Euros I think.

Clubs would quickly clamp down on managers/players who make outbursts on tv during games, everyone would just give a no comment.
    Driver cams work because drivers are looking ahead of them down the track, footballers are constantly changing directions, it would look crap and people wouldnt know where the ball is.

Distance covered is often shown for individual players during matches especially when theyre being brought off.

Personally Id rather watch a match the traditional way than some Bournesque shaky cam while someone complains about a decision that went against them

They couldn't give no comments because they would be contractually obliged to do during match interviews. If they refused or made a mockery of the interview by not answering the questions asked etc then sky would withhold a big amount of their tv rights money, so they would be forced to do the interviews.

When a player has the ball and running towards goal they are not constantly changing directions. Even if they did change directions it would still work, theres plenty of football advertisements which are done from the viewpoint of the player eg nike world cup ads, which show that it would work. It would also be great to see free kicks and penalties from the viewpoint of the player.

Referees are also always facing play so that would provide a great viewpoint at all times, and it would be funny to see when refs are being harassed by players like the famous roy keane incident.

Distance covered is sometimes flashed across the screen, I usually don't see it in time and the commentators never mention it. Plus you need a comparison with other players who have played the same amount of time for it to have any relevance and importance, which they don't currently do.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

They couldn't give no comments because they would be contractually obliged to do during match interviews. If they refused or made a mockery of the interview by not answering the questions asked etc then sky would withhold a big amount of their tv rights money, so they would be forced to do the interviews.

When a player has the ball and running towards goal they are not constantly changing directions. Even if they did change directions it would still work, theres plenty of football advertisements which are done from the viewpoint of the player eg nike world cup ads, which show that it would work. It would also be great to see free kicks and penalties from the viewpoint of the player.

Referees are also always facing play so that would provide a great viewpoint at all times, and it would be funny to see when refs are being harassed by players like the famous roy keane incident.

Distance covered is sometimes flashed across the screen, I usually don't see it in time and the commentators never mention it. Plus you need a comparison with other players who have played the same amount of time for it to have any relevance and importance, which they don't currently do.

Whatever about camera angles and optional commentary, interviews are not necessary at all. I don't want players to embarrass themselves because of a stressful situation just so I can get a little chuckle at half time.

Whatever about camera angles and optional commentary, interviews are not necessary at all. I don't want players to embarrass themselves because of a stressful situation just so I can get a little chuckle at half time.

Well I do, its funny. After the match, they'll just go home to their mansion, bang their supermodel girlfriend and soon forget about it, they don't need your sympathy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Muff_Daddy wrote: »
    You could be right here, but it will never take off, because people hate change. If Sky introduced a behind the goal camera angle for their main coverage, there would be uproar from people used to the tried and tested camera angle. Sure, have it for the red button, but not for their main coverage. It just wouldn't take off.

Do you remember the first few weeks of the 2007/08 season when sky changed the position of the SCOREBOARD to the bottom left of the screen, rather than the top left corner? There were complaints and the scoreboard was promptly put back to its origional position within weeks.

That was because having the score graphics at the bottom of the screen was obstructing peoples views on some tv's as it was a block of colour and not see through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

No pundits and real crowd noise.

I don't care about player interviews, they are either bland cliches, or an interviewer trying to goad a player/manager into saying something "controversial".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Well I do, its funny. After the match, they'll just go home to their mansion, bang their supermodel girlfriend and soon forget about it, they don't need your sympathy.

99% of the time it will be a prescripted answer, the one percent will see players getting fined/banned, no real positives to it.

bohsman wrote: »
    99% of the time it will be a prescripted answer, the one percent will see players getting fined/banned, no real positives to it.

100% of after match interviews are scripted, I never want to hear another footballer say "at the end of the day its all about 3 points in the bag."

If their interviewed after they've just been taken off then tensions/emotions are high, the old adrenaline may even be going, the chance of a good interview is a lot higher than 1%.

If players get fined/banned as a result of these interviews then thats good, makes things interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

What Des said. Give the option too Mute the commentry and listen too the noise of the crowd or lack of i wouldnt mind.

My ears were crying out for the above during the euros *shakes* fist at rte commentry :mad:

Or or hire some south americans that stay quite until a goal is scored gggggoooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll id be happy with that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

Is this serious?

Its one of the maddest/stupidest things I've read!

Cameras on the jersey? So you need 36 of these for every game? And these miniature, military grade wireless cameras, who will pay for them?

Access to the dressing room before a game to interview players? I can only assume you've never played football.

Those interviews with managers during LOI games are cringeworthy. the managers have no interest as, ye know, they are actually doing their jobs.

You want more drama? Go and watch desperate housewives then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Underground

Most interviews with footballers are riddled with clichés and boring as sin anyway, so I wouldn't feel the need to see more of them.

Also, the idea of interviewing players pitchside while they're warming up wouldn't work at all...Geoff Shreeves and Co are annoying enough as it is, I actually think we need to hear a bit less from them.

Playercam actually exists, although I don't think Sky use it anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

why stop there, stick a half time in each half and stoppages every 30 seconds for ads :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Goal line technology and/or a video review option for incidents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

why stop there, stick a half time in each half and stoppages every 30 seconds for ads :pac:

Players should also be allowed throw the ball, although the shape of the ball would need to be altered.

Maybe they could wear padding and helmets to avoid injury too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

user2011 wrote: »
    What Des said. Give the option too Mute the commentry and listen too the noise of the crowd or lack of i wouldnt mind.

Sky Germany have that option for CL and Bundesliga. On Canal+ Spain they have it for La Liga and they also have the option to listen to local radio commentary which is great! I'm always listening to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Des wrote: »
    No pundits and real crowd noise.

Have wanted that for years too. I wouldn't miss them for a second (well except maybe Brian Kerr and his orangey boots.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The current format of having 3 stuffy middle aged men dressed in suits sat around a table in some studio just doesn't cut it with me anymore. The current camera angel for the actual game, where the camera is located at the halfway line and mid way up the stand just isn't good enough, its good for most of the play but you don't really get to see how hard players are working, how fast they are running etc cause its too far away, they need to mix it up a bit more.

- They can have a camerman and roving reporter on the touchline during the game who is allowed to interview the manager and coaching staff and substitutes while play is going on.

No just no.

129052658599267846.jpg

If anyone tried to interview a coach/manager during the game I would applaud the first manager to deck a reporter. As for roving panalists, its the sort of notion that would have parodied on the Day Today or the Fast Show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

This all sounds like something you would see on that Masters football you see every so often on Sky. The auld footballers playing, with them getting subbed coming off the "pitch".

event wrote: »

Access to the dressing room before a game to interview players? I can only assume you've never played football.

If they can do it in Formula 1 there is no reason why they cant do it in football and F1 is a sport that needs 100% concentration at all times.

Sadly in football there is nobody remotely good enough to conduct an interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Tony O'Donoghue/John Kenny do interview coaches/managers mid match during some live LOI games.

Not a fan of it myself.

On a similar theme. Ever notice how BBC think it's ok for them to go into the mens jockeys changing room and yet they don't go into the female changing rooms. What's the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

How about having viewers decide substitutions via text poll?
    Or instead of bringing in a video ref have Simon Cowell rule on any controversial decisions?
    Or lets just play the game on a revolving pitch for the craic?

• Advertisement
Advertisement