Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Isn't it about time football coverage was modernised?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They did that on BBC for the Euros I think.

They do it for most of their live matches be they Cup, Championship or internationals - BBC TV/5live/ambient with the odd experiment like this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Des wrote: »
    No pundits and real crowd noise.

/tips hat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

delad wrote: »
    The current format of having 3 stuffy middle aged men dressed in suits sat around a table in some studio just doesn't cut it with me anymore. The current camera angel for the actual game, where the camera is located at the halfway line and mid way up the stand just isn't good enough, its good for most of the play but you don't really get to see how hard players are working, how fast they are running etc cause its too far away, they need to mix it up a bit more.

Here's what they need to do:

- Panelists and reporters have full access inside the ground and can go anywhere and interview anyone at any time.

- The panelists can start their prematch chat at pitchside and then walk about the place and maybe end up outside the changing rooms. If they see players or coaches going in or out they can grab them for a short interview.

- When players are warming up on the pitch, a reporter could go on and have a brief chat with some of the players.

- They can have a camerman and roving reporter on the touchline during the game who is allowed to interview the manager and coaching staff and substitutes while play is going on. FIFA/UEFA will obviously have to give the ok but its perfectly doable. The managers won't like it but fcuk em, they get paid well.

- Introduce "player cam." A miniscule camera is attached to a players shirt, probably at the collar. It would be tiny and weigh virtually nothing, so wouldn't restrict players in any way, and they would all have to wear them anyway so no one is at a disadvantage. Think about how great it would be to see one of ronaldo's dazzling runs from his viewpoint.

- Refs, linesmen and keepers would also have to wear the cams.

- Bring in stats, I'm not talking about bombarding us with tons of boring states, I'm just talking about the most interesting ones, such as ground covered and speed. I would like to know who is the fastest player on the pitch, especially when the likes of ronaldo and messi are playing each other. Also the most distance covered and least distance covered stats could throw up some surprises and have some talking points at half time.

Mental:( TV has far too much inluence already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Introduce "player cam." A miniscule camera is attached to a players shirt, probably at the collar. It would be tiny and weigh virtually nothing, so wouldn't restrict players in any way, and they would all have to wear them anyway so no one is at a disadvantage. Think about how great it would be to see one of ronaldo's dazzling runs from his viewpoint.

Have the cam pointing downwards and tell Blatter it's to promote the women's game and you've just earned yourself a million dollars.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

RTE are modernised.

They don't use a center forward just lots of midfielders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

it never fails to baffle me how people continually want to be told, in ever increasing detail, what they're looking at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

What about interactive refereeing?

The game could be paused for 2 minutes while viewers text or email in their decisions as to wether it was a penalty or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Helix wrote: »
    it never fails to baffle me how people continually want to be told, in ever increasing detail, what they're looking at

WHAT'S GOING ON BILL?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

Sadly in football there is nobody remotely good enough to conduct an interview.

It's their job to be good at football, not give epic speeches about the match they just played.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

It's their job to be good at football, not give epic speeches about the match they just played.

I think he was talking about he interviewers, not the players

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Here's what they need to do:

- Panelists and reporters have full access inside the ground and can go anywhere and interview anyone at any time.

Brilliant idea.

Not just sports journalists mind. People from The Sun gossip column should be able to reach the players for comment about the story they are printing about them banging hookers tomorrow.
    - When players are warming up on the pitch, a reporter could go on and have a brief chat with some of the players.

Brilliant. Like that would affect their concentration or anything.

- They can have a camerman and roving reporter on the touchline during the game who is allowed to interview the manager and coaching staff and substitutes while play is going on. FIFA/UEFA will obviously have to give the ok but its perfectly doable. The managers won't like it but fcuk em, they get paid well.

:pac:

Serious question.

Are you Sepp Blatter?

I dont think anyone bar him could be capable of thinking of this level of retarded sh1t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I'd like to see greater support for streaming all matches online

And options to choose your own camera angle both for normal play and replays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Des wrote: »
    No pundits and real crowd noise.
    Give me the option of turning off the in-game commentary, while keeping the stadium sounds and I would be happy

Snap

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Do they? Any time I've watched sky they haven't done those things. If they interviewed subs during the game and introduced player cams I would purchase sky tomorrow.

Sky used to have a player cam when Sky Sports Extra was first launched & it was a huge boring failure.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

They do the whole touchline interview with the manager during the game for LOI games, I don't know a single person who enjoys it. We want to watch the match and the managers are clearly not happy to do it.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I wonder why TV companies don't use hawkeye? The hawkeye cameras don't intrude on the game itself so there is no excuse for them not to or not be allowed use them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

In relation to Managers being interviewed during the match, I have seen this being done on coverage on the league here, and during some of the FA coverage in the England where lower ranked clubs have been involved.

Personally, rather than being intrusive, it's almost disrepectful to the manager, to say its his job, maybe so, but not whilst he is actually working, which he is what he is doing during a match. Imagine going up to the likes of Fergie whilst a match is in progress, he would blow a gasket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I think this is the dumbest thing I've read on the Soccer Forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Do they? Any time I've watched sky they haven't done those things. If they interviewed subs during the game and introduced player cams I would purchase sky tomorrow.

They already had 'player cam' a few years ago and got rid of it after a few seasons, as it obviously wasn't popular.

Id rather football stays football to be honest. Everything of what you described is like voyeurism for the viewer. Managers get interviewed during the game in LOI matches and it just seems wrong when it happens, it always seems very reluctant interviews, giving short answers to get away quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭delad

Corholio wrote: »
    They already had 'player cam' a few years ago and got rid of it after a few seasons, as it obviously wasn't popular.

Do you mean where the camera was focused on a particular player and you could just watch them for the match? If so, thats not what I was talking about, I'm talking about a camera on the players shirt which has never been done before as far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Do you mean where the camera was focused on a particular player and you could just watch them for the match? If so, thats not what I was talking about, I'm talking about a camera on the players shirt which has never been done before as far as I know.

it hasnt been done because you'd be seasick in about 90 seconds of watching it

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭delad

Helix wrote: »
    it hasnt been done because you'd be seasick in about 90 seconds of watching it

I'm not talking about watching a full game on the players camera, I'm talking about a few seconds here and there throughout the match. They would be especially good for free kicks, penalties and action replays of goals scored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

I'd be happier with less "you can't score if you don't hit the target" cliches and complete scrapping of the meaningless statistics from decades ago that get brought up as if they will somehow affect the outcome of the game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

PaulieC wrote: »
    I think this is the dumbest thing I've read on the Soccer Forum

Please keep in mind the Forum Charter and keep the discussion civil.

Advertisement