Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Indie go go - I want something... GIVE ME MONEY!

• 03-07-2012 8:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭

For those who might not know what Indie Go Go is. Its a website where people post adverts looking for donations. Be it for a business that person wants to start up, a charitable cause ... so many different things.

But as you may have guessed .. people post some mental stuff :pac:

Take this guy's advert "help me live my dream"

He's 60. Works as a poker dealer and wants YOU! to help him live his dream. What dream you may ask? well he wants to be a professional poker player. But he needs 100k to make this happen :o But not only that he will donate 3% of his winnings to help other people reach their dreams .... :pac:

Has anyone else read any funny ads on this site? :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

http://www.indiegogo.com/loveforkarenhklein

That one's quite hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

If you don't reach the goal by the target time, you get nothing. So, yeah, people setting crazy high amounts are idiots.

Edit: Lulz at the perk from the guy looking for 100,000...

$10,000
    print or embroidery

your name or logo worn on my attire (caps, shirts, jackets etc.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭MrReynholm

Good for them and whoever feels like donating to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Take this guy's advert "help me live my dream"

He's 60. Works as a poker dealer and wants YOU! to help him live his dream. What dream you may ask? well he wants to be a professional poker player. But he needs 100k to make this happen :o But not only that he will donate 3% of his winnings to help other people reach their dreams .... :pac:

I pity the fool who donates to him

(sorry, couldnt resist)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Great idea - I like it! :)

It seems to be mostly for charitable efforts though (fair enough) but what about a few grand for meself? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

That poker guy seems to be missing the point; if he had the skill he claims, he wouldn't need the money because he'd have worked his way up by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

separator.giffair play if she does get 600k !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

token101 wrote: »
    That poker guy seems to be missing the point; if he had the skill he claims, he wouldn't need the money because he'd have worked his way up by now.

I agree.
    To me it just comes off as "give me money! not gonna risk my own" type of thing.

Now while IndieGoGo has some noble ads. But you do see alot that are ... just well ... laughable and the neck of them.

Thats like me posting an advert saying I want to visit Japan. Why in the hell should someone pay for me to go there?!?!? I'm not sick. I'm not a charity case. It would just be me trying to get something for free. At the expense of another. But i'll slap "my dream" into an advert :rolleyes: Like that will increase my chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ARLP

token101 wrote: »

Yeah he's clearly a donk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Well, you've got the power inside you right now. So use it, and send $1 to Happy Dude, 742, Evergreen Terrace, Springfield. Don't delay. Eternal happiness is just a dollar away!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

If you don't reach the target you do keep the money. I've been thinking of making a page asking for money, it's like begging on the street. You put hours into making a promotional video and write ~1500 words about your 'cause' and if people feel entertained and empowered by the painless payment through credit card, they will give you money. The bus monitor thing made me sick. That woman did not deserve that money. She deserved the 5,000 from the beginning, but 600k? I don't wish to sound like a tree hugging hippy, but how many starving people in developing countries could have been saved with $595,000?!

People were trying to outbid each other on the donations tab too - since it displays how much money you pledged. There is a choice to select to hide the amount of money given. If people were doing this purely to give to someone and to help them out, why would they choose to show it publicly? These people are using this as a method to buy a feeling of helping others. I watched SEVERAL people pledge over $250 to the bus monitor. Imagine somebody handing $250 to a beggar on the street, or popping over to a disadvantaged persons house and handing them hard cash. Unbelievable. I'm jealous of the bus woman though, 600k for crying on video. I suppose it's not even as much money as actors get for doing a movie, admittedly in which they aren't as believable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Why don't the chuggers on Henry St and Grafton St set up an indiegogo account instead of harassing unassuming pedestrians??!

Looks like anyone can get money for anything on it...
    I should set up an account to help me buy that Lamborghini I always wanted since I was a kid...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Some just come across as scams like this one

http://www.indiegogo.com/Lucky-Needs-More-Luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Some just come across as scams like this one

http://www.indiegogo.com/Lucky-Needs-More-Luck

No idea if that one is genuine or not. But I get a busload of emails every month from people claiming to need money for their pets vet treatment. Most of them are scams.

Advertisement