Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this the right price?

• 03-07-2012 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I've gotten someone in to do some painting around the house - he's also putting up shelves, painting skirtings and doors and generally fixing all the bits and pieces around the house that I've been meaning to fix for years. He's charging me 100e per day.

If I'm honest, I think I'm not paying him enough!! We've agreed that the full house shouldn't take more than 7 days (he's putting up some shelves, fixing some electrics etc) but when I've broken it down, I'm paying him about a tenner an hour.

He's on the dole and is obviously happy with the money - but I don't want to take the p&ss with him either...is 100e about right for all the jobs ??? (I've a small enough house with rooms just needing one coat of paint each). Ta

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Fittle wrote: »
    Hi all, I've gotten someone in to do some painting around the house - he's also putting up shelves, painting skirtings and doors and generally fixing all the bits and pieces around the house that I've been meaning to fix for years. He's charging me 100e per day.

If I'm honest, I think I'm not paying him enough!! We've agreed that the full house shouldn't take more than 7 days (he's putting up some shelves, fixing some electrics etc) but when I've broken it down, I'm paying him about a tenner an hour.

He's on the dole and is obviously happy with the money - but I don't want to take the p&ss with him either...is 100e about right for all the jobs ??? (I've a small enough house with rooms just needing one coat of paint each). Ta

Dole and working aswell for 100 euro a day you say??

You just made a bit of an "oopsie" there by posting that.;):D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Syllabus

100e per day + the scratcher!!

so in 7 days hes made 900e

he should count himself lucky

if you're looking to give money away i'll have it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

If you want to pay more, pay it to some self employed guy who is struggling to make a living and can never claim dole.
    Of course the guy you have is happy. He's on a win win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

And we wonder why the country is ****ed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

The negativity on the internet is alive and well I see.

To clarify, this guy was a self employed builder in the day..he has 4 kids and has been looking for work since he was laid off 4 months ago. He has done work for me in the past for 250 per day.

2qk4u...this country isn't in the dreads because of guys like him, but I don't want to get into that here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

To clarify, this guy was a self employed builder in the day..he has 4 kids and has been looking for work since he was laid off 4 months ago. He has done work for me in the past for 250 per day.

2qk4u...this country isn't in the dreads because of guys like him, but I don't want to get into that here.

He is draining the coffers, bet he wont pay income tax on the €700 either. Makes no difference what his past is, I too was self employed for 14 years but Im not cheating the system and tax dodging, I got off my hole and got a job, its not much of a job but Im not adding to the problem...
    Both you and him should be reported..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Reported? For working for 10 hours a day for 10e an hour?

Close this mods, thanks.

So too is the criminality,especially when you post it here.;)

Reported? For working for 10 hours a day for 10e an hour?

Close this mods, thanks.

Why do you want it closed so suddenly??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

you know he is on dole, do you know that you are breaking the law, and helping him to stay on dole,
    i do hope he is caught, and his dole is scratched from him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Sorry OP, but if he was self -employed he's not on dole.
    We do'nt qualify for any hand-outs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Beside the legal aspect, paying someone by the day/hour is a sure way to be ripped off.

Advertisement