Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Orange Order official asks for permission for Dublin parade on visit to Seanad

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

Morons. Surely this won't go ahead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

At least he had the decency to ask! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Trolling the Island again.

I wonder what fuckhead of a politician will think entertaining these dinosaurs is a good idea.
    He also suggested the State had failed to look after Protestant communities in the border counties compared to the way the British Government looked after Catholics in Northern Ireland.

Listen to this bullshit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

Tell them to **** off, in general, not just about this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Bangs head against wall repeatedly*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

the orange order sound like a real nice bunch of fella's.dont see why they cant be trusted:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

I'll never forget how I felt when I found out that the 'Love Ulster' (or whatever the fuck it was called) Parade was going ahead. It was just sheer and utter bewilderment. It didn't make any sense. Why would anybody, anybody, invite what is essentially an openly racist, bigoted orgnisation such as the satsuma brigade to their home town? I knew it was going to mean things getting smashed, and probably fire as well.

I hope this second one happens too and that the rioters decide to head up to Leinster House...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭MrReynholm

The only reason I'm opposed to this is because it would have the moronic Irish underclass out in Dublin City Centre for the day again causing trouble.

If the Gardai were a little more forceful and shot the protestors with rubber bullets or something then I'd certainly encourage it for the entertainment value alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Does the orange order still have rules against associating with catholics?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

Dublin would be a little more hostile to them.

Have they considered having their wee parade in Knock?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Trolling the Island again.

I wonder what fuckhead of a politician will think entertaining these dinosaurs is a good idea.
    He also suggested the State had failed to look after Protestant communities in the border counties compared to the way the British Government looked after Catholics in Northern Ireland.

Listen to this bullshit.

He must know something good we don't - I can't help but note the absence of any mass movement of oppressed Anglicans and Presbyterians from Donegal, Cavan, Leitrim and Monaghan. There's no doubt that the Catholic church had too much influence on government policy in this country but I'm calling BS on this particular notion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭twinytwo

FinnLizzy wrote: »
    Dublin would be a little more hostile to them.

Have they considered having their wee parade in Knock?

here is an idea, rather than trying to prance around dublin, rubbing peoples face in it and starting trouble.... why not march in london.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Asking to parade is deranged now? :confused:

Expecting people to welcome a load of bigoted and sectarian fools parading around a city and country they hold such contempt for, is deranged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Does the orange order still have rules against associating with catholics?

You can't attend any catholic ceremonies - weddings, funerals, baptisms....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

let them and see what happens it will go down like the last time..nobody will be ready for it or like it..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 141 ✭✭Patrick Cleburne

Would be great if it can happen. A great chance for Irish men to express their culture.

Would be great if it can happen. A great chance for Irish men to express their culture.

are you having a laugh or am i missing something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Will you be attending it yourself, Keith?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

twinytwo wrote: »

KeithAFC's re-reg after being 'perma-banned' from AH.
    let them and see what happens it will go down like the last time..nobody will be ready for it or like it..

There's a lot more pent up anger at the establishment now too. I think this is one hornets nest those in charge will be careful not to kick.

• Advertisement

No I am not having a laugh. Times have changed and they will march down O'Connell street sooner or later. These Irish patriots are entitled to march if given permission.

No I am not having a laugh. Times have changed and they will march down O'Connell street sooner or later. These Irish patriots are entitled to march if given permission.

LOL maybe in your own little dream world buddy;)

but they dont seem themselves as irish

LOL maybe in your own little dream world buddy;)
    Why is it a dream world? It seems certain to happen and as long as the peace process keeps a steady pace, this will happen. Now just embrace your Irish Orange brothers and sisters and everything will be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭Riddle101

In what way? There are still plenty of people who hold on to their old fasioned views, ready and willing to disrupt this parade if they go through with it. There could be another riot. I don't think times have changed all over Ireland tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

KeithAFC's re-reg after being 'perma-banned' from AH.
    why was keith perma banned?
    back on topic, utter madness to even ask that these bigots be allowed march in dublin, let them march in london so that the british taxpayer can pick up the bill.
    NEVER,NEVER,IRELAND SAYS NO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Jesus, stop feeding the troll and he might die.

I saw this on the news today. They also brought up an Orange Lodge getting burned in the north. Which had me scratching my head. It was said as if we had something to do with it.

but they dont seem themselves as irish
    They are reclaiming what was denied to them by IRA terrorists who thought all Irish men and women should be Republican.

They are reclaiming what was denied to them by IRA terrorists who thought all Irish men and women should be Republican.

...well generally what pissed the IRA off was the whole "sectarian statelet" thing yez had going on up the north.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

I hope Shamrock Rovers have an away fixture when this happens.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

votecounts wrote: »
    why was keith perma banned?
    back on topic, utter madness to even ask that these bigots be allowed march in dublin, let them march in london so that the british taxpayer can pick up the bill.
    NEVER,NEVER,IRELAND SAYS NO.
    probably for his perma trolling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

A bigoted racist supremacist organisation like the OO has no business walking through our capital city. I don't buy the crap they spout about not appreciating the Northern Protestant. Protestants are welcome, bigoted orangemen are not as far as i'm concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

Do you agree that the orange order are a bigoted organisation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Expecting people to welcome a load of bigoted and sectarian fools parading around a city and country they hold such contempt for, is deranged.
    The freedom of speech of a minority shouldn't be curtailed by the majority because they don't like what they have to say. If you don't want an orange parade that's fine don't go to it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

I hope this second one happens too and that the rioters decide to head up to Leinster House...
    And half the road is dug up again with lots of bricks lying about.

• Advertisement

Varied wrote: »

If he doesn't answer this question clearly then we will know its the return of Kieth :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    He must know something good we don't - I can't help but note the absence of any mass movement of oppressed Anglicans and Presbyterians from Donegal, Cavan, Leitrim and Monaghan. There's no doubt that the Catholic church had too much influence on government policy in this country but I'm calling BS on this particular notion.
    Yeah I think he was attempting to stir the pot here to be honest. I can't imagine the OO being too enamoured with the fact that religious bitterness and divisions are miniscule at most in border areas. As the are in rural areas such as Fermanagh and west Tyrone also, for example.

Varied wrote: »
    No I don't. I think a organisation which represents hundreds of thousands of Irish Protestants is not bigoted. They are just Pro Protestant.

I actually like to give people the liberty of thought and freedom to express the cultural background they come from which these Irish Protestants do.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    The freedom of speech of a minority shouldn't be curtailed by the majority because they don't like what they have to say. If you don't want an orange parade that's fine don't go to it.

or they could march in London, by all means lets change our country to suit the needs of all the minorities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

"Ireland would be a poorer place if the order's cultural heritage disappeared"

hmmm not so sure about that. whats your cultural heritage, hating Catholics and banging drums really loud while marching provocatively down areas where you are unwelcome?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Republicanism's greatest folly in the past fifty years has been the assumption that all Orangemen are just a wee bit misguided and that with a little TLC will come out of the closet and embrace the orange third of the flag of the Republic of Ireland.

Nothing could be further from the truth. These people are far more complex than you could ever even begin to imagine.

Let's take the old Republican cant of 'Brits Out'. These people are, for better or worse British. So are we proposing a ethnic cleaning of the Province? Let's hope not.

I've worked and known a lot of Ulster Loyalists over the past twenty years. If anything, they will be as straight up with you as they can be from the start and to the average Irish person coming from the South their direct language can be at odds to our sense of natural diplomacy. Personally I'd rather their straight-up honesty than most of the double-think speech of our own self-serving politicians.

there are absolute bigots in them though..you cant just ignore that im not saying all of them are but there are a few prominent ones there though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

No I don't. I think a organisation which represents hundreds of thousands of Irish Protestants is not bigoted. They are just Pro Protestant.

I actually like to give people the liberty of thought and freedom to express the cultural background they come from which these Irish Protestants do.

Hundreds of thousands of Irish Protestants?! They represent themselves and their own members, no one else.

....but not to attend catholic funerals, weddings or baptisms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Isn't it more like 30,000 and falling ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I actually like to give people the liberty of thought and freedom to express the cultural background they come from .

:pac: Sure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Yous missed out on recreational rioting for years. Enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Wouldnt be arsed if they walked down my road as long as they didnt use their drums and instruments (Noise pollution).

I think its just a fishing/trolling excersise. The best thing is to ignore them. They have zero reason to march in Dublin anyway. Has William of Orange even been to Dublin?

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    Hundreds of thousands of Irish Protestants?! They represent themselves and their own members, no one else.
    Sorry, I can't change the religion of these Irish people who are in the Orange Order. Not to mention the thousands who aren't in the Orange Order itself who march with them in bands.

Perhaps this idea of scaremongering against these Irish people will stop soon when they witness what great music they can produce down O'Connell street.

This was posted on the independent website:

I wonder would an anti protestant organisation which doesn't allow any of it's members attend a Protestant mass even if it's a funeral. Who's history is steeped in racism and bigotry towards Protestants would be allowed to march down the Shankill road??

Or how about a deal where Republicans can march down the Shankill if the orange order are allowed down the most historically important street to Irish Republican's. After all fairs fair!!

I don't understand how any organisation like the Orange order is allowed to exist in today's world. I wonder how the Orange order would be perceived if they had as much hatred towards Jews as they do Catholics. Would they then be outlawed?

Someone should remind Mr Nelson that many Protestants in Ireland see the Orange order as a pathetic, bigoted and outdated organisation and don't want anything to do with it. Let's stop pretending that this is in any way a tradition but more about triumphalism, intimidation, bullying and hatred. For too long, this sick and twisted organisation has been tolerated and should now be outlawed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement