Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Orange Order official asks for permission for Dublin parade on visit to Seanad

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

did they not learn anything from the last time they tried to have a march in Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Sorry, I can't change the religion of these Irish people who are in the Orange Order. Not to mention the thousands who aren't in the Orange Order itself who march with them in bands.

Perhaps this idea of scaremongering against these Irish people will stop soon when they witness what great music they can produce down O'Connell street.

Who want's to change anyone's religion? I don't have any particular problem with them marching, but to claim that they somehow represent all Irish Protestants is an insult to most Protestants frankly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

did they not learn anything from the last time they tried to have a march in Dublin?

That was wee willie fraser. Lets not slander the name of the orange order by confusing the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Nodin wrote: »
    You can't attend any catholic ceremonies - weddings, funerals, baptisms....

What???? Seriously????

Their website (I'm assuming it's official) is top notch:pac: And Wikipedia:

"The Orange Order in Ghana appears to be growing" :pac:

They are a joke really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

twinytwo wrote: »
    or they could march in London, by all means lets change our country to suit the needs of all the minorities.
    Or you could learn to accept the opinions of those different to your own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

token101 wrote: »
    What???? Seriously????

Their website (I'm assuming it's official) is top notch:pac: And Wikipedia:

"The Orange Order in Ghana appears to be growing" :pac:

They are a joke really.

They were well established in the USA at one stage, not sure if its still the case.

EDIT: Sorry, that's the KKK.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 141 ✭✭Patrick Cleburne

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    Who want's to change anyone's religion? I don't have any particular problem with them marching, but to claim that they somehow represent all Irish Protestants is an insult to most Protestants frankly.
    I didn't say you wanted to change the religion of these Irish people.

They interact and get on perfectly fine with Protestants who aren't in the Order. Like the thousands of old and young people in bands who aren't in the Order.

People can show hatred towards these Irish people if they want. Times are changing and you should accept it.

The Orange Order IS part of Irish society and has been for hundreds of years. You might not like it but it is true and they will get to march down O'Connell street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

From a totally objective and indifferent view IMHO it is an exercise in sh*t-stirring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

You can't attend any catholic ceremonies - weddings, funerals, baptisms....

Officially you can't but it still occurs.

It's probably not a good idea because it will probably turn into a riot but I think we should except these people marching in a city that was once also their capital and possibly nationalists should consider that for a united Ireland to be realized these people have to be accommodated. I know they are fools but they celebrate the culture of Protestantism and Unionism on this island, a culture few of us have ever been exposed to, and normalized relations may be beneficial towards further integration of the 2 parts of the island as well as another step forward in the PP.

Personally I don't give **** either way I just know I'll laugh when I see the some chap I know in a Celtic jersey who actually travelled up to Dublin to riot. :D:pac: I might do it for the craic myself.

• Advertisement

token101 wrote: »
    What???? Seriously????

O yeah. 'Popish rites are in error' or some such bollocks. Not sure if theres a ban on other protestants ceremonies (as they only approve of the Calvinist tradition).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

thats a great pity if it does happen as they will only act the d!ck and go on and shout insults and remonstrate with ordinary dubs,(just as they do in the north every july 12th),its a scandal,our govt should observe the riots up there every year and decide to stop it from happening,businesses being wreck and our own oppurtunisitc theives and rioters getting in on the act..

O yeah. 'Popish rites are in error' or some such bollocks. Not sure if theres a ban on other protestants ceremonies (as they only approve of the Calvinist tradition).
    Do you like making up lies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Nodin can hardly make up the truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

Surprised with a lot of the posts on this thread. Its a free country, if they want to march, let them march. Is it not about peace and reconciliation these days. If the muslim, gay or black community or any other minority group wanted to have march would there be such a problem? The only problem I would have against them marching is I realise there could be trouble from the point of view of nationalists and celtic fans coming down looking to cause it, which I thought was disgraceful last time. Obviously we havent ''moved on'' that much

They prefer members of the "reformed" churches. You have to swear that you're of "reformed" christian faith.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_Order

"Reformed"=calvinist.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reformed_churches

Tell me, Patrick, would you go to a catholic wedding?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

No I don't. I think a organisation which represents hundreds of thousands of Irish Protestants is not bigoted. They are just Pro Protestant.

I actually like to give people the liberty of thought and freedom to express the cultural background they come from which these Irish Protestants do.

Yes and the KKK aren't racist they are just pro-white.:eek:

Me tinks this whole thing has a come about as an attempt to harden attitudes in response to the softening brought about by Lizzie's visit to the Republic, Sinn fein shaking 'er mitt.

They want some PR to show that Ireland/The Irish/Republicans/Nationalists/whatever are not as committed to peace-building as they actually are.

As someone else said, protestants are welcome, bigoted organisations are not.

Surprised with a lot of the posts on this thread. Its a free country, if they want to march, let them march. Is it not about peace and reconciliation these days. If the muslim, gay or black community or any other minority group wanted to have march would there be such a problem?

Its not the same thing,do you think gays and blacks are going to start ranting off about catholics when some of them might be catholic themselves??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

twinytwo wrote: »
    LOL maybe in your own little dream world buddy;)

Is that laugh out loud or loyal orange lodge ?

Its not the same thing,do you think gays and blacks are going to start ranting off about catholics when some of them might be catholic themselves??

...throwing out gays because they attended a straight marriage....can't see it meself.

They prefer members of the "reformed" churches. You have to swear that you're of "reformed" christian faith.

"Reformed"=calvinist.

This is untrue. You obviously don't have a scooby about the Orange Order. Why would I go to a Catholic wedding?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Orangeman: We've been marching down this bit of road for 400 years....

Me: Yeah whatever bigot head.. fook off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

Why don't we let the KKK march through Dublin too while were at it?

This is untrue. You obviously don't have a scooby about the Orange Order.?

...you've a source to refute mine?
    Why would I go to a Catholic wedding?

Same reason you'd go to a protestant one. Would you go to a catholic wedding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Would you not even go if one of your many catholic friends was getting married?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

This is untrue. You obviously don't have a scooby about the Orange Order. Why would I go to a Catholic wedding?

Maybe because you have friends who are Catholic....oh wait that would show a tolerance well beyond your minuscule view of the world.

If you ever step out of your insular world, meet other people and get invited to a catholic wedding .

Tbh i dont really care what songs they sing or what they are shouting. We've plenty songs and slogans ourselves flying around, each to their own. The unionists in the north have ceded a lot of ground to Irish nationalists by means of achieving the peace process. Not saying we ''owe'' them but cant see any problem if giving them a bit of recognition in our state by allowing them to march. No big deal there, imo.

"Reformed"=calvinist.

For these purposes, members of the Church of Ireland and Methodists are included, for example, the parish church in Drumcree is COI. Much to the embarrassment of most Church of Ireland people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

Their Grand Secretary claims that a parade in Dublin will help the Protestant community in Ireland to no longer live in fear. All the Protestant people in Ireland that I know live normal lives. Maybe he means Unionist Orangemen when he says Protestant, it's something ignorant people often get wrong.

Their Grand Secretary also claims that "the Orange Order want accommodation and tolerance not segregation", yet their organisation by it's very nature and rules does not accommodate or tolerate anyone who isn't a Protestant.

Will the PC brigade pull out all the stops for an Orange parade in Dublin, or will common sense prevail when it comes to this backwards organisation where religion and politics are seamlessly intertwined?

It is statement which is untrue in regards to having to be Calvinist to join the Orange Order. A lot of Orangemen and women are not Calvinist.

And I don't attend sky fairy buildings, be it Protestant or Catholic.

• Advertisement

It is statement which is untrue in regards to having to be Calvinist to join the Orange Order. A lot of Orangemen and women are not Calvinist.

And I don't attend sky fairy buildings, be it Protestant or Catholic.

Hey Keith! Thought it was yourself, and that "sky fairy" remark just confirms it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I for one welcome our orangey neighbours - make the route of the march good and long covering many diverse areas - our construction industry needs the work so all the better to spread the riot damage over the largest area possible - I feel this is one of the first proper jobs creation initiatives proposed. Fair play OO. This will give a whole new meaning to the phrase "Protestant work ethic".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Mod

If you have an issue with a post or poster, report it.

Flaming stops here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Fentdog84 wrote: »
    The unionists in the north have ceded a lot of ground to Irish nationalists by means of achieving the peace process.

They've met the other tradition where they should have in the late 60's early 70's before violence inevitably filled the middle ground.
    Not saying we ''owe'' them but cant see any problem if giving them a bit of recognition in our state by allowing them to march. No big deal there, imo.

The OO =/= Unionists.

Unionists simply want to remain within the UK - it could be argued that these aspirations are apolitical and non-sectarian.

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    Hey Keith! Thought it was yourself, and that "sky fairy" remark just confirms it!
    Patrick thanks.

And that is my opinion Benny_Cake. I think the Roman Catholic Church is corrupt and covers up child abuse of Irish kids. Why on earth would I attend a Catholic wedding which is linked these crimes.

No thanks. I hope you understand that many Atheists and Secularists don't like the Roman Catholic criminal institution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

They should be allowed march down O'Connell St but only if Sein Fein are allowed put up a temporary mural of King Billy being spit roasted by the Earl of Albermarle and the Earl of Portland.

Patrick thanks.

And that is my opinion Benny_Cake. I think the Roman Catholic Church is corrupt and covers up child abuse of Irish kids. Why on earth would I attend a Catholic wedding which is linked these crimes.

No thanks. I hope you understand that many Atheists and Secularists don't like the Roman Catholic criminal institution.

And would you go to the wedding of a (non protestant) ethnically Irish person?

Patrick thanks.

A lot of catholic priests are good and chaste right social thinking people,who believe in charity ,spirituality and goodwill and being a basic good samaritan that helps ones neighbour/friend etc..

Not everyone in the catholic church or those who happen to follow catholic teachings are responsible for child abuse,dont tar them all with the same brush there not criminals.Stop calling catholics criminals..

Theres plenty of abuse and murder that goes on in other religions but to say they are criminal would not be tolerated why SHOULD INSULTING THE CATHOLIC CHURCH be any different?

And from what i have read you seem to have a very narrow minded view on all catholics due to a few incidents of individuals they are not representative of a whole catholic population ,would you accuse me an ordinary catholic follower of being a child abuser,and that of many others?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Fentdog84 wrote: »
    Surprised with a lot of the posts on this thread. Its a free country, if they want to march, let them march. Is it not about peace and reconciliation these days. If the muslim, gay or black community or any other minority group wanted to have march would there be such a problem? The only problem I would have against them marching is I realise there could be trouble from the point of view of nationalists and celtic fans coming down looking to cause it, which I thought was disgraceful last time. Obviously we havent ''moved on'' that much

The muslim, gay or black community don't hate Catholics or Irish people, big difference. They also do not sing about "up to our necks in Fenian blood".

The OO is about the supreme of the Protestant Church over Catholicism and especially Secularism, religious bigotry in its finest. Gays beware.

Oh, leave genuine Celtic fans out of your bigoted vitriol, it was local Dubs who rioted last time in 2006.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Don't try to liken yourself to intelligent and rational people that avoid going to churches because they are irreligious. That's not why you do it. You do it because you're a bigot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭bernardamaac.

Trolling the Island again.

I wonder what fuckhead of a politician will think entertaining these dinosaurs is a good idea.

Listen to this bullshit.
    Lol seen that and thought the exact same thing.

The RCC are not forcing the hand of peadophiles,its the individual themselves,the catholic church have a lot of good people working for them,it should be tarred because of the perverse few..

Don't try to liken yourself to intelligent and rational people that avoid going to churches because they are irreligious. That's not why you do it. You do it because you're a bigot.

Indeed, most irreligious people would still attend a wedding or funeral in a church out of respect for a friend or loved one. Pure bigotry to do otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

Morons. Surely this won't go ahead?

aah,But they will.There lies the problem.Are we ready for Orange Man to walk down O Connell St? Our Politicians may say we are as we haved moved on.I dont think so.Well we did send one of our ministers up there yesterday for smething else,Somme ? Anyway,I say NO!

Please keep your accusations to yourself.

I don't go to any Churches. I don't support the Roman Catholic cult because of the many crimes it has caused. Perhaps you don't like that but people are entitled in Ireland to not have to go to Church and reject a criminal institution like the Roman Catholic Church.

• Advertisement

The RCC are not forcing the hand of peadophiles,its the individual themselves,the catholic church have a lot of good people working for them,it should be tarred because of the perverse few..
    That must be why the current Pope covered up child abuse and moved them on to different parishes. If it wasn't so disgusting, it would be funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Perhaps this idea of scaremongering against these Irish people will stop soon when they witness what great music they can produce down O'Connell street.

Going to have to call you on this. Orange Order parades are rubbish. They have next to no entertainment value.

I propose we all dress up in our best leather, mingle in with the old guys in stupid hats and turn it into a gay pride march.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

They go on about being so British but any English I've talked to can't stand listening to their shít.

I don't want to have to listen to their shít in my capital

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

Just watched a 3000+ man march pass by my appt here in Belfast yesterday. Right down albertbridge road which is a fairly well know divide, (as they do every year). The ONLY reason they do these marches is to antagonise. That's it in my opinion. They could march anywhere, but no, they do a loop around Short strand estate (republican estate) beating their drums and waving their flags. They're pure scumbags who are flexing their mucles is all.

March in Dublin? Get out of it and stop living in the past! You want to move on? hang up your flags, take down the murals, tone it down with the union jacks all over the bloody place, etc.

gurramok wrote: »
    The muslim, gay or black community don't hate Catholics or Irish people, big difference. They also do not sing about "up to our necks in Fenian blood".

The OO is about the supreme of the Protestant Church over Catholicism and especially Secularism, religious bigotry in its finest. Gays beware.

Oh, leave genuine Celtic fans out of your bigoted vitriol, it was local Dubs who rioted last time in 2006.

Ok Ill leave the genuine, non sectarian, non bigoted Celtic fans out of my vitriol. We'll blame the Dubs instead, but Im sure there's a lot of them who are also non sectarian and non bigoted.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement