Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Orange Order official asks for permission for Dublin parade on visit to Seanad

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

Whats all this RC V COI crap,I just dont want Orangers walking in my town.Feel free to do it were they are welcomed.As for COI,Hey a huge big Church has just being built down the road from me and they say they are in decline,Hell no.A lot of immigrants are of that persuasion.Religion sucks and NO TO ORANGERS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

The Orange order are more then welcome to March in Dublin, In fact I think they should march through Finglas, Ballymun and Coolock. Or If they would prefer to visit the traditionally more affluent side of Dublin, I am sure Tallaght, Clondalkin and Ballyfermot will be more than accommodating.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

That must be why the current Pope covered up child abuse and moved them on to different parishes. If it wasn't so disgusting, it would be funny.

there was bad judgement by a few individuals the pope himself didnt personally go out of his way to cover it up,all religions are not perfect and need to move on with modern times i agree,there were a lot of priests who disagreed with the actions of those few in the RCC who excercised bad judgement but dont tarr them all with the same brush..there are murders and executions of innocent people under religions why dont you talk about that?
    Its too easy to attack the catholic church if you dig out a few people but its not representative of all who attend the catholic church,there are a lot of catholic followers also who do not agree with the actions of those who took those bad decisons..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 141 ✭✭Patrick Cleburne

kowloon wrote: »
    Going to have to call you on this. Orange Order parades are rubbish. They have next to no entertainment value.

I propose we all dress up in our best leather, mingle in with the old guys in stupid hats and turn it into a gay pride march.
    The music is great with many great Ulster Scots folk songs and some fine quality music on display. If you are into the fashion, then perhaps it isn't for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Trolling the Island again.

I wonder what fuckhead of a politician will think entertaining these dinosaurs is a good idea.

Listen to this bullshit.

Ignorance is one thing but the statement made there is stupidity plain and simple.

Just watched a 3000+ man march pass by my appt here in Belfast yesterday. Right down albertbridge road which is a fairly well know divide, (as they do every year). The ONLY reason they do these marches is to antagonise. That's it in my opinion. They could march anywhere, but no, they do a loop around Short strand estate (republican estate) beating their drums and waving their flags. They're pure scumbags who are flexing their mucles is all.

March in Dublin? Get out of it and stop living in the past! You want to move on? hang up your flags, take down the murals, tone it down with the union jacks all over the bloody place, etc.
    Expressing their culture is perfectly normal and happens all over the world. The divide isn't based on culture and cultural expression like the Ancient Order of Hibernian which is tolerated amongst Protestants.

Belfast doesn't just belong to you. If you don't like it, that is fine. There is plenty of people in Belfast who do like expressing the culture and heritage they have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

Expressing their culture is perfectly normal and happens all over the world. The divide isn't based on culture and cultural expression like the Ancient Order of Hibernian which is tolerated amongst Protestants.

Belfast doesn't just belong to you. If you don't like it, that is fine. There is plenty of people in Belfast who do like expressing the culture and heritage they have.

Well if it's cultural.... Do you own a pair of clogs by any chance? Do you speak Dutch?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I'm from a (Dublin) Protestant background and I think these people are complete fcukwits. The Orange order has absolutely no relevance to any Protestants I know from the Republic. I don't see why they want to march in Dublin, except that they're trying to stir up a reaction, but I don't think we should stop them - the best outcome would be if we could just ignore them, let them have their silly little march and then piss off back up north.

I was working in a shop on Henry St during the march in February 2006, we had to lock ourselves in with a load of customers because of the chaos outside. It was a pain in the arse. At least this time the police will be prepared, hopefully.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

It shouldnt happen it will be an awful expense cleaning up in the aftermath of the riots,and all that policetime..when they should be getting on with targetting other crimes..its a waste if you ask me

Well if it's cultural.... Do you own a pair of clogs by any chance? Do you speak Dutch?
    Obviously don't have a grasp on Irish history I take it Mance Rayder?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Scarinae wrote: »
    let them have their silly little march and then piss off back up north.

I don't think people would be half as annoyed if it was just the OO. It's the gang of drum bangers and head-the-ball droolers that will come with them that would make it provocative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

people are born gay or black, or both,
    people choose to become bigots or they are influenced by their 'culture'

I don't think people would be half as annoyed if it was just the OO. It's the gang of drum bangers and head-the-ball droolers that will come with them that would make it provocative.
    Why offend Irish people like that?

First it was that stupid and racist thread yesterday and now this post. You are shocking no one here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

If they do come down i bags first punch at Willie Frazer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Border-Rat

Can ye imagine a Sinn Fein march up through London?

dont really see the point to this thread, when is Keith getting banned again?

Border-Rat wrote: »
    Can ye imagine a Sinn Fein march up through London?
    what reason would they have to do that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

twinytwo wrote: »
    Il get me Celtic jersey and luas fare ready now
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭twinytwo

the same reason the OO want to march in dublin, the same reason they march in belfast.... to cause trouble

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Border-Rat

Um, I dunno. Why not use LOL rhetoric;
    A SENIOR member of the Orange Order (Sinn Fein) has appealed to the Irish (British) Government for permission to parade in Dublin (London).

Yada yada, cite poor treatment of Catholics and infer that their culture must be protected. It would be only as preposterous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

votecounts wrote: »
    why was keith perma banned?
    back on topic, utter madness to even ask that these bigots be allowed march in dublin, let them march in london so that the british taxpayer can pick up the bill.
    NEVER,NEVER,IRELAND SAYS NO.

They do actually march in London but it's a low key affair, biggest English marches are in Southport and Liverpool, however sectarianism in Merseyside is a shadow of what it was decades ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Scarinae wrote: »
    I don't think we should stop them - the best outcome would be if we could just ignore them, let them have their silly little march and then piss off back up north.

This... and threads like this is feeding into exactly the reaction they are looking to provoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

prinz wrote: »
    This... and threads like this is feeding into exactly the reaction they are looking to provoke.

True! Unfollows thread*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭overshoot

March in Dublin? Get out of it and stop living in the past! You want to move on? hang up your flags, take down the murals, tone it down with the union jacks all over the bloody place, etc.
    cant stand the flags everywhere in the north, like dogs pissing to mark their territory

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭lost marbles

heres an idea ...... let them march in dublin . the port tunnel .dublin port to santry .coaches waiting then off up home on the m1 .:D

• Advertisement

heres an idea ...... let them march in dublin . the port tunnel .dublin port to santry .coaches waiting then off up home on the m1 .:D

Or they can just stay at home, no trouble , no mess and no one gets their head kicked in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

if it goes ahead they would need to police it better than the Love Ulster parade which gave the scumbags an excuse to loot and burn.

its part of the reconciliation process. they probably figure that songs like **** the pope are now popular, given our anti catholic sentiments.

Or they can just stay at home, no trouble , no mess and no one gets their head kicked in.
    Violence is totally unacceptable and with the Irish President who will be hosting a garden party for the Irish holiday which is the 12th of July, then there is just no excuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

Violence is totally unacceptable and with the Irish President who will be hosting a garden party for the Irish holiday which is the 12th of July, then there is just no excuse.

For the trolling parade?

Oh, I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bellylint

In honestly dont see why people have a problem. ****e was done it 'their' name, ****e was done in 'our' name. They have values I dont agree with but couldnt really give a fck if they want to march, let them. Chance to show you really couldnt care, what they do. There is so much hate on this thread, you would almost think it AH is a serious forum!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

I see absolutely no reason to even entertain the idea of allowing a bigoted, antagonistic, anachronistic organisation from another country march in our capital in the name of their perverse beliefs on the status of our nation. There is nothing legitimate intended in this request, it's just another sad attempt by the Orange Order to bully their way into having their pathetic organisation and its backwards ideology acknowledged.

I doubt very many Londoners would enjoy seeing Sinn Fein march down their streets at the behest of improving the feeling of security among Irish people thing.

The argument "Just let them march and ignore them" is the same argument used when a child misbehaves, these people are not children and know full well the reaction they're attempting to incite and should not be allowed to get into a position to do it in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

They go on about being so British but any English I've talked to can't stand listening to their shít.

I don't want to have to listen to their shít in my capital

nearly all the population of the uk.....have never heard of them...and certainly do not want to.......it must bhe very disheartening for them....but fact is ...who cares...

overshoot wrote: »
    cant stand the flags everywhere in the north, like dogs pissing to mark their territory

in fairness there are parts of Dublin and you see flags everywhere.
    the irish flag for the unionists is the flag cherished by those who committed Kingsmills, Bloody Friday and Le Mon atrocities.

I say let them march.

who is going to start a riot against them, a few sectarian celtic supporters.

yada, yada, yada, Ulster, never, never, never

C'mon, Keith, you know that you're outside the spectrum of people I'm interested in discussing these matters with.

Hopefully some idiot politician thinking of trying to make a name for himself by appearing to be statesman-like by inviting the OO to the south will read threads such as this and think better of it.

nearly all the population of the uk.....have never heard of them...and certainly do not want to.......it must bhe very disheartening for them....but fact is ...who cares...

and I abhor the idea of a gay pride parade, but live and let live.

maybe its time to meet the neighbours. we have lived apart long enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

They should let them parade through O'Connell street, only on condition they hold a massive gay pride carnival along the Shankill road.

Hopefully some idiot politician thinking of trying to make a name for himself by appearing to be statesman-like by inviting the OO to the south will read threads such as this and think better of it.

You could say the same about Martin McGuinness giving Queen Elizabeth a handshake. It actually worked well. Leave the OO march, ignore them, they'll soon get bored of the concept of coming to Dublin. It's a novelty for them.

You really are some troll keith.. can you not find your way back to your bridge??

Fuinseog wrote: »
    in fairness there are parts of Dublin and you see flags everywhere.
    the irish flag for the unionists is the flag cherished by those who committed Kingsmills, Bloody Friday and Le Mon atrocities.

I say let them march.

who is going to start a riot against them, a few sectarian celtic supporters.

Why?? there is Zero reason for them to march in dublin... none.

If they want to march so bad let them do it in non catholic parts of belfast.

• Advertisement

and I abhor the idea of a gay pride parade, but live and let live.

And I'm sure Ireland's gay population tremendously appreciates being compared to the Orange Order with such tolerance. :rolleyes:
    You could say the same about Martin McGuinness giving Queen Elizabeth a handshake.

Difference is one's a Head of State being met by a senior politician of that same state while the other is a group with long held antagonistic views towards the country they expect to be allowed march in. Practically the same though I confess. :rolleyes:

Difference is one's a Head of State being met by a senior politician of that same state while the other is a group with long held antagonistic views towards the country they expect to be allowed march in. Practically the same though I confess. :rolleyes:

It was a PR event in the interests of moving forward in N.I. If the OO feel like walking down O'Connell St would be some major gesture and help them catch up with the times, it'd be worth it to let them march in the long run. Reactions like yours feeds into their antagonism. Paisley's trip to Cork is in the same vein.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/paisley-gets-titanic-welcome-at-remarkable-visit-to-cork-1353359.html

Dr Paisley also said his visit to Cork came amid the success of the Northern Ireland peace process.
    "We certainly have got the ship into the water and we have found that the ship is waterproof -- and it is sailing in the right direction," he said. "I feel the generation who are now growing up, those young people need to take over from us. There is a very big change in Northern Ireland," he added.

Let the OO march and you'd never know what might come of it. React with violence and insults and you convince them their attitudes are right.

Why?? there is Zero reason for them to march in dublin... none.

If they want to march so bad let them do it in non catholic parts of belfast.

the war is over. orangeism is part of Irish culture, maybe not Irish catholic culture, but Irish nevertheless. Southern unionsists are Irishmen as well.

it time to open up this country to our northern brethern and not have some celtic supporter thugs dictate by destruction to property and violence who can and cannot come

'Protestants are not welcome on the streets of Dublin'. does not sound very tolerant does it? The order has surely mellowed in the last few years.

maybe its time to meet the neighbours. we have lived apart long enough.
    I agree. Take a look at the Tri colour flag. Some people seem to ignore the Orange.

It was a PR event in the interests of moving forward in N.I. If the OO feel like walking down O'Connell St would be some major gesture and help them catch up with the times, it'd be worth it to let them march in the long run. Reactions like yours feeds into their antagonism.

And yet they insist on bopping around catholic areas of NI

You could say the same about Martin McGuinness giving Queen Elizabeth a handshake.

Huh?

Political opportunism? Perhaps.

Remember that Martin McG did not meet QE2 in her role as head of state. He met her in her role as co-patron of an all Ireland charity. Also, It was broadly welcomed across these islands.

It was a PR event in the interests of moving forward in N.I. If the OO feel like walking down O'Connell St would be some major gesture and help them catch up with the times, it'd be worth it to let them march in the long run. Reactions like yours feeds into their antagonism.

Except that it won't, and the Orange Order well knows this. Let them work on becoming a more tolerant, open organisation and they're more than welcome to visit the capital. This is, as I said before, simply another pathetic attempt to stay in the public consciousness now that they're so hopelessly out of time with everyone else.

Let them work on becoming a more tolerant, open organisation and they're more than welcome to visit the capital..

So we have a chicken and egg situation, and nothing improves. Brilliant plan.

I agree. Take a look at the Tri colour flag. Some people seem to ignore the Orange.

its usually the armchair republicans that see gold or yellow instead of orange.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

I will only approve of this if Charlie Bird agrees to cover it for RTE again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement