Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Orange Order official asks for permission for Dublin parade on visit to Seanad

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

twinytwo wrote: »
    And yet they insist on bopping around catholic areas of NI

do they still or are you going back to the war?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

i hope DCC refuse it... all it will do is attract hooligans out to destroy private property

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Bessiebee

In case anyone is interested the annual Twelfth Parade in the Republic is in Rossnowlagh, Co. Donegal this Saturday. Great family day out.:)

Kurz wrote: »
    I will only approve of this if Charlie Bird agrees to cover it for RTE again.

he should have worn a flak jacket. such events need to be policed or quarantine the scumbags who cause trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

And yet they insist on bopping around catholic areas of NI

...and maybe, just maybe, they bop round catholic areas of NI to elicit exactly the response they get. Remove the response and you remove the incentive for them to do it.

• Advertisement

i hope DCC refuse it... all it will do is attract hooligans out to destroy private property

so hooligans dictate how things should be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

Great, an official troll fest. Just want the country needs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 141 ✭✭Patrick Cleburne

Bessiebee wrote: »
    In case anyone is interested the annual Twelfth Parade in the Republic is in Rossnowlagh, Co. Donegal this Saturday. Great family day out.:)
    :)

And never a hint of trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

prinz wrote: »
    Let the OO march and you'd never know what might come of it. React with violence and insults and you convince them their attitudes are right.

I don't think there are too many who give two shits what they think tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Border-Rat

I agree. Take a look at the Tri colour flag. Some people seem to ignore the Orange.

None moreso than the Orange themselves. They want it replaced by the butchers apron.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Colours

I was listening to one of the Orange Lodge representatives on Morning Ireland today and the one thing he said which I took in was that the group of Protestants he represents are actually less conservative and staunchly anti-Catholic in their views compared to Protestants in other parts of the repoublic of Ireland whose scripture still refers to the Pope as "the Anti-Christ". And the thought it left me with was "Sinead O'Connor ought to become a Republic of Ireland Protestant".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Border-Rat

Another Keith account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭twinytwo

...and maybe, just maybe, they bop round catholic areas of NI to elicit exactly the response they get. Remove the response and you remove the incentive for them to do it.

Or just prevent them from marching. Simples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

So we have a chicken and egg situation, and nothing improves. Brilliant plan.

No less brilliant than expecting the Orange Order to be anything more than the historically have been when traditionalism is the cornerstone of their beliefs. Indulging a spoilt child only leads to further trouble down the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Great first post....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Fuinseog wrote: »
    so hooligans dictate how things should be?

unfortunately yes. Orange order have no real place to march in dublin anyways... especially knowing that it will incite riots like it did last time.

if i was an insurance provider i'd be objecting to it.

Indulging a spoilt child only leads to further trouble down the line.

You know that's exactly the attitude that kept NI in senseless violence for decades..

votecounts wrote: »
    Great first post....
    Thanks I thought so too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Let them march wherever the local community is happy for them to march.

If they are to March in Dublin it should probably be incorporated into the St Patricks day parade. All aspects of Irish society celebrated together or some BS like that. It would be funny watching them parade past countless tricolours...

They do annoy my balls though, with the secret aspects of their order, secret oath and not allowing film crews video their secret gatherings... Anyone else see the doc on women of the Orange Order? Frightening stuff in this day and age...

Still its time to move on from the past...

We are becoming a much more tolerant secular society, prob time to start coming to terms with the Orange Order. Accept their right to practice their beliefs even if we do disagree with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

are you having a laugh or am i missing something?

No! Kieth is missing something :D

• Advertisement

You know that's exactly the attitude that kept NI in senseless violence for decades..

What a fantastically disingenuous statement. Being equally facetious you're absolutely right, they shouldn't be allowed march in NI either considering all the trouble it causes to indulge such a small group of irrelevants and their backwards beliefs. It's 2012, not 1916 or 1690, people in all parts of Ireland should be able to live their lives without having to put up with this ****e.

Border-Rat wrote: »
    None moreso than the Orange themselves. They want it replaced by the butchers apron.
    A load of absolute bollocks. You are using the colour of the people from that tradition, have some respect for them.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

A little premature and events are maybe a bit too quick in succession . Leave it a while and should be o k .Most are not really bothered too much but ..all towns have them and full of dutch gold .....yous know yourselves .

What a fantastically disingenuous statement..

No, it's exactly the kind of argument you would have heard from the likes of the OO against letting people like Sinn Fein into power sharing arrangements. But well done on adopting their attitudes and then complaining about their antagonism.

Agree. This attitude of never never never. Move on and accept equality and stop trying to oppress people you don't agree with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

A load of absolute bollocks. You are using the colour of the people from that tradition, have some respect for them.

Fair play if you are willing to accept it as your flag but somehow I think there's some double speak here.

Deedsie wrote: »
    Let them march wherever the local community is happy for them to march.

If they are to March in Dublin it should probably be incorporated into the St Patricks day parade. All aspects of Irish society celebrated together or some BS like that. It would be funny watching them parade past countless tricolours...

They do annoy my balls though, with the secret aspects of their order, secret oath and not allowing film crews video their secret gatherings... Anyone else see the doc on women of the Orange Order? Frightening stuff in this day and age...

Still its time to move on from the past...

We are becoming a much more tolerant secular society, prob time to start coming to terms with the Orange Order. Accept their right to practice their beliefs even if we do disagree with them.

should we also let muslims pratice sharia law in this country as well then???...

No, it's exactly the kind of argument you would have heard from the likes of the OO against letting people like Sinn Fein into power sharing arrangements.

Right, because equality in political representation is exactly the same as indulging an outdating organisation's desire to march in an area they know will cause strife with the local population simply because they view it as part of their cultural right. Yep, absolutely the same thing. :rolleyes:

Right, because equality in political representation is exactly the same as indulging an outdating organisation's desire to march in an area they know will cause strife with the local population simply because they view it as part of their cultural right...

Won't cause any strife with me, and I'm in Dublin, or are you speaking on my behalf from Limerick?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Triumphalist request from an order with triumphalism at it's heart.

Let them march, I have no problem with it. A bit of entetainment for the hard pressed people of Dublin.

Won't cause any strife with me, and I'm in Dublin, or are you speaking on my behalf from Limerick?

Because you represent the entire local population and anyone else who might be in Dublin on that day am I right? And it would be completely inappropriate to compare the response of previous marches to look for a pattern of response. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭cristoir

If they are not violent they should march. Anyone who is not violate should be allowed protest. If you don't like stage a peaceful counter protest. That's how a democracy should work. We give the gob****es a soapbox so we can judge their ideas and expose them for what they are.

Because you represent the entire local population and anyone else who might be in Dublin on that day am I right?

Nope but a least I am part of the local population.
    And it would be completely inappropriate to compare the response of previous marches to look for a pattern of response. :rolleyes:

Yes, looting Schuh and damaging parked cars half the city away had a lot to do with the OO. Scumbag opportunism at its best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

They were well established in the USA at one stage, not sure if its still the case.

EDIT: Sorry, that's the KKK.

Yes, members of the orange order have had clandestine meetings with the Klan, Jewish isolationists, Saff London skinhead groups (innit), South African apartheid artists and all these mealy mouthed post colonial idiots and Little Englanders.

The bould Ian has a decent following of misguided fruitcakes down in the Bible belt. But now this fanciful bunch have a bete noir ........ step forward Ms Christina Gallagher from Kinsealy Achill :D

should we also let muslims pratice sharia law in this country as well then???...

Not really the same thing but, as long as it didnt impact upon the Human rights of any person or break any Irish laws, why not?

I am no fan of the Orange Order, however there are like it or not Orange lodges in Ireland made up of Irish citizens. They have the same rights as all Irish citizens...

Our founding documents spoke of a nation oblivious to the different cultures of our citizens...

"The Republic guarantees religious and civil liberty, equal rights and equal opportunities to all its citizens, and declares its resolve to pursue the happiness and prosperity of the whole nation and of all its parts, cherishing all the children of the nation equally, and oblivious of the differences carefully fostered by an alien government, which have divided a minority from the majority in the past"

Maybe its time to try fulfil this promise...

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

The only time I would even consider letting them march is if there was a United Ireland of some sort. On the one hand they want nothing to do with the republic or a united Ireland and will take arms before that happens I'd say. But on the other they want to cross the border and march for what reason exactly?

On another it seems a certain M.Martin invited this man here. It seems like very sly behaviour from our FF leader. Did he want them here when FF were in government? I also doubt he would bring them certain areas of Cork, it would lose him votes.

Nope but a least I am part of the local population.

Which implausible as it may sound, still doesn't entitle you to speak for the entire million-plus population of the capital with any more authority than I do.
    Yes, looting Schuh and damaging parked cars half the city away had a lot to do with the OO. Scumbag opportunism at its best.

If you want to wilfully ignore the correlation between OO marches and said scumbag opportunism you're more than welcome but I for one would rather not import such silliness into this country. We're finally moving away from the problems theistic groups in this country have caused without taking in more from those outside the country.

That said, maybe you're right and the whole thing will go ahead and go off without any kind of undesired response and the Orange Order will realise that tolerance and respect for your fellow man regardless of his political allegiance or religious beliefs are absolutely the way to go forward. I would absolutely love it if it did, if only for the benefit of people living up North, but I wouldn't consider putting money on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mickcollins

Even thinking about the scum wanting and having the cheek to ask makes my blood boil. Not a hope.

Deedsie wrote: »
    Not really the same thing but, as long as it didnt impact upon the Human rights of any person or break any Irish laws, why not?

I am no fan of the Orange Order, however there are like it or not Orange lodges in Ireland made up of Irish citizens. They have the same rights as all Irish citizens...

Our founding documents spoke of a nation oblivious to the different cultures of our citizens...

"The Republic guarantees religious and civil liberty, equal rights and equal opportunities to all its citizens, and declares its resolve to pursue the happiness and prosperity of the whole nation and of all its parts, cherishing all the children of the nation equally, and oblivious of the differences carefully fostered by an alien government, which have divided a minority from the majority in the past"

Maybe its time to try fulfil this promise...

key point here... id be interested to see how many of the OO are actually irish. Im going to go out on a limb and say not a lot.

DB10 wrote: »
    The only time I would even consider letting them march is if there was a United Ireland of some sort. On the one hand they want nothing to do with the republic or a united Ireland and will take arms before that happens I'd say. But on the other they want to cross the border and march for what reason exactly?

They have an annual parade "cross the border" every year and guess what nobody cares, nobody objects, nobody riots & nobody could give a toss. I don't see the problem, there are a lot of Lodges in the Republic and are full of old men trying to hold on to the only culture they know.

• Advertisement

Which implausible as it may sound, still doesn't entitle you to speak for the entire million-plus population of the capital with any more authority than I do.

Which part of "Won't cause any strife with me"... indicates I was speaking for anyone but myself? :confused: So you'd love it all to work out but you unwillingly to try, so best leave it as it is?

key point here... id be interested to see how many of the OO are actually irish. Im going to go out on a limb and say not a lot.

If they are born on this island they are entitled to Irish citizenship... Its irrelevant to me if they choose to call themselves Irish or British or Northern Irish or Ulster or whatever they want. Our state must protect their rights. We cant choose which laws we like and which we dont like.

Anyone who objects, possibly myself even, should protest against their marches, peacefully. I dont think they should be marching where they are clearly opposed against.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

DB10 wrote: »

They have an annual parade "cross the border" every year and guess what nobody cares, nobody objects, nobody riots & nobody could give a toss. I don't see the problem, there are a lot of Lodges in the Republic and are full of old men trying to hold on to the only culture they know.

Ah yes, the annual forced exodus of decent peaceful people from one end of the town and the entry of a bigoted mob at the other end. Great day! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Mod

If you have an issue with a post or poster, report it.

Flaming stops here.

Mod

Patrick Cleburne banned.

Loads of cards handed out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

Someone's made a point that there is lodges all over the 26 counties, well let the members of those lodges march down o'connell street with a token few from the north, the idea of busing down thousends of orangemen from the north who probably hate the idea of even crossing the border doesnt sit well with me but ive no problem with residents of this country marching

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Come on everybody sing a long and clap your hands.
    We came over to Ireland and robbed their Land
    We came over to Ireland and robbed their Land
    When they tried to stop us we cut them Irish down
    When they tried to stop us we cut them Irish down
    Come on everybody beat your chest in proud triumphalistic way.
    Throw their children out on the street to starve
    William of Orange killed the Irish
    William of Orange killed the Irish.

Please let them march in Limerick or Cork.
    We will give them a right welcome down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mickcollins

Anyone who thinks it is ok for this scum organisation to march anywhere south of the border are a disgrace especially letting them walk down O'Connell street.

Will these people who are happy with them marching be smiling when they are singing up to their necks in fenian blood.

Mod Edit:

Poster banned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

we'll just stop this here.

Nobody is coming out of this looking good.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement