Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to make thick veg soup ?

Options
  • 03-07-2012 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi. I'm looking for a recipe for making a lovely thick veg soup ?anyone any ideas. It kinda has to be be low fat too, kinda like the soup they serve in Joel's on the Naas road , that's Yum, any ideas ????? Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

veg soup:

i litre of chicken/veg stock(2 cubes,some pepper,some salt and parsely added),add on litre of water

dice onions (about 3 of them..)

dice five carrots

dice five potatoes

2 red or yellow peppers

2 celery sticks thickly chopped

1 parsnip

boil for an hour to soften the veggies

then put the boiled mix in the blender in parts as much as your blender can take and press the switch button(make sure you have the lid screwed on securely)..

and there is your thick soup paste!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

If you search this forum you'll find all these previous threads containing recipes http://www.boards.ie/search2/submit/?subforums=1&forum=610&query=Soup

As a general rule, it's a litre of stock to 500g of vegetables of your choice for soup.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭SpaceRocket

I made an absolutely yummy think veg soup the other day from dregs that were leftover in my freezer and cupboards!

Garlic (melted in a little butter)
    Assortment of frozen veg
    Stock of your choice
    Along with....
    Tinned green lentils
    Corriander (heaps, cause its soooo good on these rainy days)
    Chilli
    Paprika
    Salt & pepper

...And then cause i had to use it up, a drip (or more) of cream on top before serving...

Delicious......:)

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭all_smilz

try Donal Skehans bootcamp soup!

Lettuce
    green peppers
    celery
    lentils
    tin of tomatoe
    Stock

boil, simmer and blitz! (add lettuce about ten mins before blitzing for maximum vit content!)

google for more accurate recipe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Bid08

i find potatoes thicken the soup lovely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭tp25

pick whatever ingredients you wish.

separate 1/2 of the veggies and put aside, boil the rest for 30 min.

The other 1/2 put into the blender and mix there.

after 30 min add blended vegetables into the soup and cook for another 30min.

Lovely thick soup.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭EZ24GET

I'd try the potato as thickener. Try pureeing a few and adding back to pot. Should make a creamy base.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Potatoes definitely thicken it. After cooking and if I'm reheating I'll always throw some milk in to give it a smoother texture.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Instead of dirtying a food processor, I have grated potatoes in the past with a cheese grater. All the starch falls out, they are thin so cook fast and just break up into the liquid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

This recipe uses lentils and is thick and very tasty. I substitute parsnip for some of the carrot.

I'd go easy on the potato, I found it completely killed the other flavours in my soup when I tried it before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Cook it twice.

Advertisement