Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jobseekers Allowance for beginners

• 03-07-2012 8:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭

Hi

My wife is currently out of work and it isn't looking likely that she will get a job. She is currently claiming jobseekers benefit. But after the 12 months i'm not sure she would be entitled to jobseekers allowance because of my salary.

How is the means test calculated? Does it take my own repayments for loans etc into account? I've looked at explanations on welfare.ie and citizensinformation.ie but they are as clear as mud.

Can anyone help? I'm freaking out a little here.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭Fran79

Hi
    basically for working out JSA they do not take into account any loan repayments etc.

Basically they take all the income coming into the house. ie your wages. They then deduct €20 / day (max 3 days for the week).
    They then assess 60% as means against the welfare rate for your family size.

e.g. if you get €500 / wk they take off €60 (3 days of €20)

They then assess 60% of the balance (ie 60% of €440 = €264)

So your weekly means = €264 / wk
    This is then taken away from the welfare rate for your family size
    so if you had 1 child your rate would be €188 (for an adult), + €124 (for your partner) + €29.80 (per child) Total = €341.80

Then take away your weekly means from employment and your left with €77.80.

€77.80 would be the rate of JSA per week.

Hope thats a little clearer for you

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭bagel2010

Hi just wondering what way would they calculate ja for some one whose spouse is self employed and sometimes doesnt bring home a wage

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

bagel2010 wrote: »
    Hi just wondering what way would they calculate ja for some one whose spouse is self employed and sometimes doesnt bring home a wage

Generally you would have to supply last years certified accounts,this is what they use for calculating means.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭bagel2010

mp22 wrote: »
    Generally you would have to supply last years certified accounts,this is what they use for calculating means.

thanks for reply

Advertisement