Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internship vacancy, a total piss take

Options
  • 03-07-2012 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭

At least 3 years' experience in application and web based development
    Excellent knowledge of PHP 5 and MySQL. Strong programming capability and ability to upgrade and maintain back-end functionality
    Online experience of customising open source e-commerce platforms - in particular experience of Magento would be a distinct advantage
    Experience of front-end web design (page layout, promotional images & banners) with portfolio examples
    Strong knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, especially Photoshop
    Understanding of HTML, CSS, especially in respect of web standards and image presentation, image mapping etc
    Knowledge of XHTML, JavaScript, Ajax, jQuery, JAVA, & open source content management systems would be beneficial
    Web testing experience: usability, security, fixing bugs etc
    An outrageous #jobbridge 'vacancy' - http://bit.ly/NtO4wr - equivalent in qualifications 2 mid-range (salary 40-50K) web developer.
    a tweet i saw on tweeter about it

http://www.jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=1184398

too misery to pay a professional to do it so they are looking for an intern.

shocking stuff that this is aloud to happen

il be boycotting this crowd should i ever come across them

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

I am just finished college and I was hoping to go straight into an IT job - even a graduate position but around my area in the South East there is nothing (even in surrounding counties) but intern/FAS jobs and jobs on recruitment company websites where once you apply you don't even get a reply even though you meet the initial requirements. You might think they were 'made up positions' just to get CVs and people's skills on files so they can charge more when companies come looking.

While there will be genuine companies offering intern positions with a view to full employment there is also bound to be companies who will exploit this to further their margins.
    The above position looks like the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Report them, a lot of companies who have been seen to exploit the Jobsbridge program have been reported and their job offer taken down of the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Freddio

Unfortunately it doesn't get much better in the "paying" jobs market.

I did an interview this week for an Irish household name. The interview was for a front end developer with mobile experience. In the interview they asked me to look at their mobile site and ask me to make recommendations. I should have recommended they fix all the broken links on their home page but I was more diplomatic.

I heard back that I didn't have enough experience. (even though Ive been programming for 30 years)

Don't you just love it when recruiters can't even tell you the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Yea it's a joke but at the same time so is this comment:

"equivalent in qualifications 2 mid-range (salary 40-50K) web developer."

3 years experience isn't worth 40-50k.

smash wrote: »
    Yea it's a joke but at the same time so is this comment:

"equivalent in qualifications 2 mid-range (salary 40-50K) web developer."

3 years experience isn't worth 40-50k.

You won't have much change from 40K with a family and a mortgage.

• Advertisement

Freddio wrote: »
    You won't have much change from 40K with a family and a mortgage.
    What's that got to do with anything? With 3 years experience you wont be getting 40-50k as a developer.

What's that got to do with anything? With 3 years experience you wont be getting 40-50k as a developer.

Enda Kenny has less than 3 years experience in his job and he gets 200K. You'd have more intelligence with 3 years developing iOS

Again, you're not making a decent point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Enda Kenny has less than 3 years experience in his job and he gets 200K. You'd have more intelligence with 3 years developing iOS

Whether they deserve 50k is a different question. In reality that's not the going rate (unfortunately...)

Also apprenticeships are four years and then you would be earning that sort of money. And how much does a junior Doctor make straight out of college?

• Advertisement

Also apprenticeships are four years
    Not all of them.
    and then you would be earning that sort of money.
    Not always.
    And how much does a junior Doctor make straight out of college?
    Totally irrelevant.

I'm not saying that 50K is what is paid, but I am saying if someone with that experience is managing to get that wage, then it is entirely fair. It would be different if they had 3 months experience as opposed to 3 years

Not all of them.

Not always.

Totally irrelevant.
    I'd say you'd be great to work for

I'm not saying that 50K is what is paid, but I am saying if someone with that experience is managing to get that wage, then it is entirely fair.

That's different than what you've been saying.

You're going off on a pointless tangent mate...

The topic at hand is whether someone with the appropriate skills and experience should be on salary for a position like this. I think they should. They'd probably have little trouble finding a paying position anyway.

That's different than what you've been saying.
    No its not. The inference from the start is that someone with all those skills is worth 40 to 50 k, and they are.

No its not. The inference from the start is that someone with all those skills is worth 40 to 50 k, and they are.

No, someone with those skills and is good at what they do, is worth that money.

No, someone with those skills and is good at what they do, is worth that money.
    Being good at it should be taken for granted if you got the gig

I'd say the suggestion is that, worth it or not, a person with that experience would be earning 40 - 50k. As someone around that level in terms of experience, I can tell you there's little chance of getting that salary!

Personally I'm not interested in discussing whether or not it's an appropriate salary.

To be honest, they'll never find someone. They're merging a few different jobs all together into one.

• Advertisement

Dave! wrote: »
    Personally I'm not interested in discussing whether or not it's an appropriate salary.

Is it appropriate that the sector be strangled to the point that you are expected to work for free until you have a pHd worth of knowledge?

Is it appropriate that the sector be strangled to the point that you are expected to work for free until to have a pHd worth of knowledge?

One silly job spec will not strangle the industry. Have a look at the creativeireland.com job's forum, these kind of jobs pop up all the time.

There is a lot of internship stuff going on and its a downward force. I worked with a company before who took on interns before it was fashionable and it was pure exploitation.

There is a lot of internship stuff going on and its a downward force. I worked with a company before who took on interns before it was fashionable and it was pure exploitation.
    Why?

Someone with 3 years experience is not an intern and will not apply for an intern position. They're living in the clouds!

Is it appropriate that the sector be strangled to the point that you are expected to work for free until you have a pHd worth of knowledge?

Mate I think that employer is just a chancer, and the ad will hopefully come down. There are plenty of paying positions for someone of that experience, the industry isn't being strangled. It's a pretty good time to be involved in IT in Ireland. Salaries have come down since the boom, but the vacancies are still there.

People get desperate and get told things like this will get your foot in the door. But you are right most people with 3 years experience wont go for an internship, they'll go for a junior role because people tell them they aren't worth 40k

Mate I think that employer is just a chancer, and the ad will hopefully come down. There are plenty of paying positions for someone of that experience, the industry isn't being strangled. It's a pretty good time to be involved in IT in Ireland. Salaries have come down since the boom, but the vacancies are still there.

Thats my point entirely - stop this rot before it takes hold

Easier said than done! If I asked for 40k in my next job application I don't think I'd get very far.

You're right though - I have about 2 years' work experience (and however many years learning independently), and my next job I'll still be looking for a junior position. Not sure if that's just a personal thing (I have my reasons), or a widespread trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Again, you're not making a decent point.
    You haven't made any.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement