Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low Cost Office Space - Start Ups

Options
  • 03-07-2012 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I have been looking for a suitable 4 person office around Dublin city center for my digital start-up company and have been surprised at the prices being charged considering the current climate. Everywhere has availability, but no-one wants to do a deal!

Does anyone know of a website or directory that advertises sublets? I know companies have laid people off so they might appreciate some fresh faces and a contribution towards the rent/rates each month.

Not looking for a hotdesk, needs to be an office.

Thx.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭R3al

You are less likely to get a deal if you are a start up rather than an established company as there is more risk for the landlord that you wont make the rent or may go under.

Your best bet is probably the commercial section of daft, lots of office shares available nowadays, that is a good way to reduce your overheads - shared receptionist, board rooms etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 liam473

Wouldn't €x per month be better than having an empty office sitting idle somewhere?

As for 'going under' we have enough funds to last us 12 months so no risk to anyone there. Ideally we could co-locate with another business that has downsized - and the commercial rates you speak of on daft.ie are way too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Bombe

Talk to enetrprise Ireland they will help you find shared office/incubators:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

liam473 wrote: »
    Wouldn't €x per month be better than having an empty office sitting idle somewhere?
    I don't understand this mentality either. I have been looking for an office space (one man outfit) for 6 months and there are LOADS of idle offices/shops in my area that aren't willing to negotiate and they have been empty for yonks.

Enterprise Ireland have very specific criteria for working with them i.e. export orientation - so they can't help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Why exactly do you need a city centre location for a digital startup? Rental units might be cheaper in the outer city regions.

It has to be in the city center.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

I've half (or possibly two-thirds of an office going...you'd need to take a look at the space though.

It's on Upper Mount St...

PM me if you'd like to take a look.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

I assume you have spoken to places like the NDRC, the GEC and the Digital Hub if you are a digital startup company?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Talk to local county enterprise boards too - they can be very helpful.

• Advertisement

Hi Axwell - yes have spoken to them all. They have very specific criteria and look for a capital share in your company. We are just looking for office space so we can move the business from our frontrooms and work together in the same location. Thx

Hi Hanley - we don't need business funding, we just want reasonably priced office space and the best option is to sublet from someone for 12 months initially. Thx

Ballyman wrote: »
    I don't understand this mentality either. I have been looking for an office space (one man outfit) for 6 months and there are LOADS of idle offices/shops in my area that aren't willing to negotiate and they have been empty for yonks.

It is strange that no-one wants to do a deal, I read that office space in Dublin is only currently at 60% capacity. Is there a tax write-off for leaving buildings empty I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

Hi Axwell - yes have spoken to them all. They have very specific criteria and look for a capital share in your company. We are just looking for office space so we can move the business from our frontrooms and work together in the same location. Thx

Em, I'm pretty sure you haven't spoken to the Digital Hub then! They rent space, they don't look for equity!!

Check them out OP, prob exactly what you need you can find there: http://www.thedigitalhub.com/move-to-the-hub/high-spec-flexible-office-space/281

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Sorry but this is complete nonsense and you clearly havent. I have an office in the GEC and there is no capital share on any company in the whole place. The Digital Hub is the exact same. In the NDRC they run a launchpad programme which if you get on it does take equity but thats only to do with Launchpad.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

You just need to pick up the phone and talk to these groups. There is no difficulty finding space in Dublin. You've also got AMWorks off Capel St, in addition to the others mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

OP how many square metres are you after ? And what's your ball park budget ? There is an office in my building empty and I managed to thrash out a good deal with the LL.

The Digital Hub which operates the NDRC looks for equity, the 'rented' office space they let is more expensive than you would think. All the innovation centers are very expensive because of the 'short term lets' agreement - doesn't make sense but that's the reality.

To get the thread back on topic - if anyone knows someone/somewhere that would be willing to sub-let a 3 person office to us for 12 months in the city center then PM me.

Thanks.

RATM wrote: »
    OP how many square metres are you after ? And what's your ball park budget ? There is an office in my building empty and I managed to thrash out a good deal with the LL.

Thanks for post - have sent you PM.

Chet Zar wrote: »
    You just need to pick up the phone and talk to these groups. There is no difficulty finding space in Dublin. You've also got AMWorks off Capel St, in addition to the others mentioned.

I have looked at AM Works and it's a good set-up alright. Our best option is still to get/share an affordable office somewhere, as a start-up cash is king which I'm sure you understand. Thanks

• Advertisement

Axwell wrote: »
    Sorry but this is complete nonsense and you clearly havent. I have an office in the GEC and there is no capital share on any company in the whole place. The Digital Hub is the exact same. In the NDRC they run a launchpad programme which if you get on it does take equity but thats only to do with Launchpad.

Yes, I clearly have researched office spaces and do know what I'm talking about. The last time I visited the GEC there was no availability as all the units were let. Let's allow this thread to get back on track eh?

Advertisement