Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to keep a 16 month old entertained in car?

• 03-07-2012 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

Just looking for some ideas as I have to undertake a 3.5 hour (minimum) journey with my son by myself this weekend. I did it a month ago with him and it was a bit of a nightmare. It took me 5 hours as he kept getting upset so I had to stop for loads of breaks. I'd rather only have one or two stops if at all possible.

I have a nursery rhyme CD that helps to keep him entertained for a while. I'll make sure I have plenty of snacks and water to hand out, and he should sleep for a while. Can anyone suggest any toys that are good for the car? The main problem I have is that he loves running around and doesn't really bother with his toys much! That's great at home but not so much when he's stuck in a confined space....

Any suggestions appreciated!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

is their a favourite toy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

It is hard going alright. Two things, break it up and do it around naptime if you can. Oh, and tune in lyric FM. Helps the sleeps.

I took a 3.5 hour trip a few weeks ago with my 15 month old. First of all, I timed the departure time for 10 mins before her normal naptime. She went to sleep after about 15 mins, and stayed asleep for about 1.5 hours. I drove another 20 mins maybe after she woke, singing songs, and then stopped for food in a cafe.

Food and running around in the grass for a bit. Napoy change and Back into the car. We did more songs, especially the ones she knows actions too.. So wheels on the bus, hokey pokey, happy and you know it, head shoulders knees and toes, etc.

then we did pointing at things. Point at your eyes. Can you say eyes. Point at teddies eyes. Point at your ears... Point at the cows, point at the trees, etc.

Then handed her a cracker and milk.

Repeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Take a look at his seat too - it may be uncomfortable for long sitting.

And if he gets carsick, you might try a packet of ginger biscuits beside you; if that's the problem, though, you're going to need those stops anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭pennypitstop

Bagheera wrote: »
    Just looking for some ideas as I have to undertake a 3.5 hour (minimum) journey with my son by myself this weekend. I did it a month ago with him and it was a bit of a nightmare. It took me 5 hours as he kept getting upset so I had to stop for loads of breaks. I'd rather only have one or two stops if at all possible.

I have a nursery rhyme CD that helps to keep him entertained for a while. I'll make sure I have plenty of snacks and water to hand out, and he should sleep for a while. Can anyone suggest any toys that are good for the car? The main problem I have is that he loves running around and doesn't really bother with his toys much! That's great at home but not so much when he's stuck in a confined space....

Any suggestions appreciated!

Did you ask Alison Canavan in VIP magazine?????:D See attached pic lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Bagheera

Did you ask Alison Canavan in VIP magazine?????:D See attached pic lol!

Ha, no that wasn't me! Thanks everyone for the help. He was much better in the car this time and I timed it well around his naps. I didn't factor in him getting car sick about half way though which wasn't fun. Nor was I expecting a puncture about an hour from my destination! Took me almost 6 hours with everything that happened. So I think the moral of the story is, you can never plan anything when it comes to children :-D

• Advertisement
Advertisement