Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Disability Benefit?

• 03-07-2012 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

I have been in and out of work for the last 13 months with a back injury I recieved in a workplace accident. The clerk in the social welfare office told me yesterday to apply for disability benefit, she said that I will almost certainly qualify. I've just had a look on the social welfare website but the info there is fairly vague and i cant make any sense of it :confused: Basically, I'm earning €450 p/w at work although I'm trying to cut my hours as I am physically unable to do the job. If I cannot cut my hours then I will probably have to go back on illness benefit. How would this disability payment benefit me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

Be careful, the welfare people dont really care about your welfare, ironic as it is...
    They try to mess people around as much as they can, its easy for them to sit there and tell you to give up your job and apply for something you may not get, they let their own doctor decide on your claim even though he/she will never speak to you and take no notice of what your doctor thinks.
    My son has been messed around by them for the last year, had his disability claim declined, then his appeal was declined then he was cut off completely and left with no income. They said he cant apply for JSA as he is unfit for work but yet they declined his disability claim.. He has now started a new claim for disability as he is unfit for work.
    I went to the local office yesterday with a simple question and I had to speak to two staff members and an inspector before I got an answer and even at that the inspector was not impressed that I demanded the answer...

Do not trust them !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Well I wouldn't be giving up my job, I'd just be going back on illness benefit for the foreseeable future (I'll probably have to do this regardless of disability benefit). The welfare clerk said you can opt to take a lump sum or a weekly payment but I'm not sure how this would apply if I earn over the threshold :confused:

That's desperate about your son, how can he be unfit for work but ineligible for disability?? Too much buerocracy and red tape going on there....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

5. This is not a forum for critiscizing Government Departments or Semi-State Bodies.

5a - 5 includes the policies of the Government Departments of Semi-State Bodies

From the forum charter which I'm sure you guys have read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Disability Benefit or Illness Benefit is a weekly payment which you qualify for based on your PRSI Contributions.

If you have the required PRSI the rate of pay is based on your own average earning from 2 years previous. So if you make a claim now, your rate is based on 2010 income.

The Max personal rate is €188, the minimum is €84.50.

If you have dependents you may qualify for an increase for them but that depends on your partner's income, if any.

I don't know what the "clerk" is talking about when they said lump sum or weekly payment...
    Unless they are talking about your first payment. It can take a couple of weeks for payments to start so you could apply for Supplementary Welfare or wait for your "lump sum"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Sorry, it's actually disablement benefit under the occupational injury scheme. From what I can gather, they grant a weekly payment if you are deemed to be %20 or more disabled or a lump sum if you are less than %20 disabled. I wonder how do the calculate their percentages?? :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement