Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

10,000 Ties to remember 6 months as president

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

GarIT wrote: »
    The Department of Forigen Affairs has put in an order for 10,000 silk ties to remember the 6 months Irish presidancy of the EU, are they actually serious?

So thats whats the 100 euro household "tax" was for.;)

Those sneaky politicians.:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

are they off their head with these extravagant gestures god only knows what else they get up to these days..its sickening you know every euro counts,and joan burton with the 128,000 trip advisor are we off our heads with this ****e

are they off their head with these extravagant gestures god only knows what else they get up to these days..its sickening you know every euro counts,and joan burton with the 128,000 trip advisor are we off our heads with this ****e

You never know,those ties could be usefull to some of the politicians in the end...when they strung up on lamposts by the people.;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

It just gets more ridiculous by the day.
    It's like a fukn comedy at this stage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,426 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Arrogance personified. But what do you expect from F.G / Labour, the party of the rich ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭flutered

The Department of Forigen Affairs has put in an order for 10,000 silk ties to remember the 6 months Irish presidancy of the EU, are they actually serious?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0703/government-tenders-for-10-000-silk-ties.html
    you forgot to mention 10,000 scarves for the women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

You still won't get Mick Wallace to wear one.

The scruffy cunt.

Amazing how RTE didnt mention this on the main evening news earlier.

Funny that.:rolleyes:

all them dalkey farts are a tight crowd..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Recession means ties instead of a full suit...:pac:

• Advertisement

galwayrush wrote: »
    Recession means ties instead of a full suit...:pac:

The ties and scarves will make the lynchings cheaper.

its disgusting that nobody has gone public to at least complain about it on all our behalfs and ya i never said RTE say a peep about it..worrying whos side are they on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

paddy147 wrote: »

They did actually.

Lumbo wrote: »
    They did actually.

When?

When?

9 o clock news. You'll have to watch it again yourself, I think ya missed some of it.

It was just after the item re the e voting machines.

Lumbo wrote: »
    9 o clock news. You'll have to watch it again yourself, I think ya missed some of it.

Wasnt on the 6.1 news,which I was refering too,I didnt seem to see it then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

Priceless.:D

Come on Einhard or Valdimir curtains or all the posters that defend all the tax hikes and cuts, get in here and bleat on about your taxes paying for "local services".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

its disgusting that nobody has gone public to at least complain about it on all our behalfs and ya i never said RTE say a peep about it..worrying whos side are they on?

I've written to all the local ministers, theres not much more I can do though, I'm only an anonymous keyboard warrior.

Wasnt on the 6.1 news,which I was refering too,I didnt seem to see it then.

I thought the 9 news was the main evening news. Sure anyways, yeah they gave it a quick mention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

They got an e-mail telling them to make 10,000 cutbacks, sadly, when the tossers passed the instruction on verbally, things got garbled and someone ordered 10,000 cravats instead. Easy mistake to make. Anyway, whats the big deal? Ye all seem fit to be tied over this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Conchir

From the title of the thread, I assumed Michael D had worn 10,000 different ties during his presidency.

My admiration for him would have sky rocketed if that was the case. I like a nice tie.

donate the ties to charity at least get some dignity back out of this needless extravagance..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Yeah, but RTE are just the government's propaganda department. Surely you already knew that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Hmm, maybe the tender could be scuppered by the sexist nature of the commemorative ties, sure what are the wimmens sposed to wear?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It's obviously the way things are usually done in this country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ned_O%27Sullivan

Ned O'Sullivan

In December 2008, he sent silk ties (worth €25 each) to approximately 400 County councillors. He is the Fianna Fáil Seanad spokesperson for Food and Horticulture, Health Promotion and Food Safety.

Another Wiki bit to celebrate the good-old days:

In June 2011, it was revealed that 3,600 premium line votes from a phone in Leinster House at a cost of €2,600 to the Irish taxpayer helped Michael Healy-Rae win Celebrities Go Wild in 2007.O'Sullivan admitted making "around a dozen" calls and texts to support Healy-Rae after being asked to do so by Healy-Rae's campaign manager.]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Sexists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I am suRe I will be in the minority but I really can't see the need for the big outcry.

We have the presidency for 6 months. It's doesn't come around often. Last in 2004 I think and generally we normally wouldn't have it again for soon but I think the Czechs pulled out of hosting it.

The eyes of Europe is on the country for that time. Huge footfall of people travelling to Ireland for conferences, meetings events summits Etc.

A few souvenirs used to promote Ireland is no big deal even if they are tacky or whatever. Jebus I remember seeing people walking the streets with presidency 2004 bags umbrellas notepads etcc after the last presidency.

It seems this government has kept things fairly minimal so far. Probably won't even cost 300k

Charlie Haughey would never allow this,
    unless they came with Charvet shirts :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Why couldn't they just have had some beer mats made up for the event?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Um....what the fúck are they going to do with 10,000 ties?

Uriel. wrote: »
    I am suRe I will be in the minority but I really can't see the need for the big outcry.

We have the presidency for 6 months. It's doesn't come around often. Last in 2004 I think and generally we normally wouldn't have it again for soon but I think the Czechs pulled out of hosting it.

The eyes of Europe is on the country for that time. Huge footfall of people travelling to Ireland for conferences, meetings events summits Etc.

A few souvenirs used to promote Ireland is no big deal even if they are tacky or whatever. Jebus I remember seeing people walking the streets with presidency 2004 bags umbrellas notepads etcc after the last presidency.

It seems this government has kept things fairly minimal so far. Probably won't even cost 300k

We can't afford it. We are in austerity.

c_man wrote: »
    Why couldn't they just have had some beer mats made up for the event?

Imagine what they would have paid some twits to design them...:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

"It's like 10,000 ties, when all you need is a loophole. Isn't it ironic."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

no need to get yourself in a knot over it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

We can't afford it. We are in austerity.

We may make money out of it. It's a relatively little outlay to be honest. Spend money to make money and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

I've written to all the local ministers, theres not much more I can do though, I'm only an anonymous keyboard warrior.

You need to send a facepalm jpeg. It's our only hope of getting through to those idiots.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

RTE are a disgrace, I've been saying it along time now. There silence on certain matters along with mainstream newspapers is disgusting. The Ulster Bank fiasco as an example has had poor coverage.

Questions need to be asked, Mick Wallaces taxes have had 10 times the coverage the Ulster Bank fiasco has. I know what people care about the most, but the government certainly would rather it wasnt given coverage.

Cant blame RTE really, they always licked FFs arse as well. Men like Eoghan Harrish run this countrys media. Thank fuck for Boards.ie anyway! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

deccurley wrote: »
    Um....what the fúck are they going to do with 10,000 ties?

They're going to tie them all together and string us along like they normally do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

10000 ties, sure there is nearly 4 million of us. Can we not all get a tie and wear it with pride. Mine will have an Olympic theamed tie clip with a etching of an Olympic sized swimming pool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

Feck's sake, surely someone in the entire government has a bit of cop on to tell them this idea is absolutely ridiculous! Just buy a bloody plaque for €100 and let it do.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Is the EU presidency really worth €70m to Ireland?
    19/02/2012 1:25 pm
    Reports today suggest that Ireland plans to spend €70m for the Presidency of the Council of the European Union over the next year, even though it exceeds a spending cap.

What could we, as a nation, do with €70 million? Take a few people off hospital trollies? Build a new school or two? Or host the Presidency of the Council of the European Union for a grand total of six whole months? Six months or, if you’re a numbers man, that works out to cost around €385,000 for every day that Ireland holds the top seat.

However, we might be overshooting the mark already. The €70m that has been allocated is double the €35m spending cap which was imposed by Denmark to help and deliver a ‘low cost’ presidency, which is only fair what with Europe down the crapper, and all that.

A report in the Sunday Times suggests that the Irish Government has allocated €25m in spending for this year, in order to ‘prepare’ for the presidency, and €35m for 2013, but expects the total to be in excess of €70m.

When all is said an done, will our six months sitting in the president's chair be really worth all that money? What do you think?

http://www.joe.ie/news-politics/current-affairs/is-the-eu-presidency-really-worth-e70m-to-ireland-0021162-1

Enough said!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Rango555

It's a false flag operation guys.... the more worrying tender is the one that doesn't become public like the saunas, rub downs, and happy endings for the bankers!

EEK!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

DB10 wrote: »
    RTE are a disgrace, I've been saying it along time now. There silence on certain matters along with mainstream newspapers is disgusting. The Ulster Bank fiasco as an example has had poor coverage.

Questions need to be asked, Mick Wallaces taxes have had 10 times the coverage the Ulster Bank fiasco has. I know what people care about the most, but the government certainly would rather it wasnt given coverage.

Cant blame RTE really, they always licked FFs arse as well. Men like Eoghan Harrish run this countrys media. Thank fuck for Boards.ie anyway! :D

Love the way you've pulled that together, the Liveline is open now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

One less thing for Mick Wallace to give out about. Sean Quinn should join in.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

It's a sign of a stable country when you hand a man 10,000 ties for no apparent reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

RTE needs Fianna Gangsters to introduce the broadcasting charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Checks this isnt a bump of a 2006 thread... its not.

For FFFFFFFUUUUU...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

How much will 10,000 ties cost?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

ilovesleep wrote: »

250 household charges.......... or about 30+ MRI scans for seriously ill children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

ilovesleep wrote: »

About 30 Mick Wallace judgements.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
Advertisement