Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dublin zoo on a showery day?

Options
  • 03-07-2012 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We've been planning to go to Dublin zoo for weeks for my daughters birthday, making a weekend of it by going on the train(we live in Waterford) and staying in a hotel, everything is booked and train is paid for so I don't want to cancel, anyway she's really looking forward to it!

So the weather forcast is showers for Sat, I haven't been to the zoo in years, what's it like if it rains? Or is there any alternatives in Dublin city a 4 year old would love ??

So fed up of this weather!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Might be a bit miserable... rain coats are an option? How about imaginosity in Sandyford?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

http://www.dublinkids.ie/Outdoor.html good link.
    Had it planned for this weekend aswell but rang hotel today got the dates changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Imaginosity looks great thanks, I need a back up incase we can't do the zoo!

We can't do any other weekend in the next few weeks, so well just go and make the most of it. Ya never know, we could be pleasantly surprised by the weather
    :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

There's a couple of lovely playgrounds in the Phoenix park too. I think you just have to bring suitable clothes and go for it. If you relied on the weather to do anything in this country you'd just spend your time sitting at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

OP , the zoo is fine on a showery day.

There is plenty of shelter .

Enjoy .......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We don the rain suits and Welles :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

I sometimes like going to places like that when the weather is a bit unsettled as they tend to be less crowded.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

We've an annual pass for the zoo and once you're dressed for it, it's almost more fun in the rain. There's far less crowds, your little one gets to jump in "muddy puddles" like Peppa Pig and watch the elephants "having a shower" :)

Imaginosity is supposed to be great but it's viciously expensive, shocking that parents have to pay so much to accompany their children into the place.

Thanks for all the replies ! :) yea I'm gona pack our rain gear and her wellies so were just gona give the zoo a go, I got a free pass for it, so it would be a shame to lose out on it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

We went a fortnight ago (up from Kilkenny & determined to make a day of it :D), it was raining cats & dogs on the drive in but thankfully stayed dry while we were there & herself loved the puddles :)

I'd chance it, as mentioned pack wellies & rain coats just in case!

• Advertisement

We went a fortnight ago (up from Kilkenny & determined to make a day of it :D), it was raining cats & dogs on the drive in but thankfully stayed dry while we were there & herself loved the puddles :)

I'd chance it, as mentioned pack wellies & rain coats just in case!

Good stuff, I'm looking forward to it, were staying in a hotel by heuston station so we can head back and warm up if it gets too wet :)

Do Enjoy , I love the zoo.

As other posters have said , the visitor centre in Phoenix Park is worth visiting , the playground is great and the coffee shop does great food. It's even worth walking around the gardens there to show the kids all the food growing ( its the kitchen garden for the Aras )

The Art place in Temple bar ( Ark ) is worth a try apparently , so much so that my 6YO is going to be there on Sat.

http://ark.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

The Ark theatre in Temple Bar is amazing. I can't wait until my son is old enough to go!

The Ark theatre in Temple Bar is amazing. I can't wait until my son is old enough to go!

We took our 6YO there yesterday .

Fantastic , and really really good value .

Unlike a certain place on the south side of the M50 , they don't charge for the adults.

So we went to the zoo last week(the 7th) ...it was fantastic, one of the sunniest days we have had so far!!:D The zoo was lovely, and we finished up early enough to leave pheonix park before all the maddness for swedish house mafia!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I would strongly disagree with this.

How many times have I seen some newspaper article advertising an event at the Ark, and then you ring them up and the event is booked out.

They seem to run events once every two months, for group sizes up to maybe 12 kids. And that might be across 4 different categories.

I'd say no more than 300 or 400 kids pass the door of the place every year. The zoo would have the same volume in an hour on a busy day.

They never have anything available, and yet they are regularly in the papers saying "we have this on, we have that on".
    After several frustrated attempts to buy tickets for their shows, I have given up on the ark.

(note, I did buy a ticket once, but it was bought for an event four months in advance, and by the time the event came around I;d forgotten the date....they dont post out tickets, and dont post email reminders....).

It may well be amazing, but i've found impossible to get into anything at it.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    I would strongly disagree with this.

How many times have I seen some newspaper article advertising an event at the Ark, and then you ring them up and the event is booked out.

That's odd , the weekend before last we just walked up to the door no hassle, and the week before my Sister in law did the same

Very strange

Advertisement