Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish taxpayer pays for implants fiasco

• 03-07-2012 10:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

it was on the news tonight that the Irish taxpayer will foot the bill for women who decided to get breast implants and now want to get them removed. why should the taxpayer finance any of this. breast enhancement is hardly life saving surgery?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

needless expense i hope every woman is not going out getting hers done if so :eek: were fvucked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

As long as they are being replaced with larger, better quality implants, I am all for this. Big tits are a better visual amenity than ties. Lets cancel the ties and go bigger on the implants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Any chance of a link, OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

They are making tits out of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

FFS, I don't even have breasts!! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

Seeing as Im paying for them, i should at least be allowed to touch these breasts :p

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Not everyone gets implants just to make their breasts look bigger. What of someone had breast cancer and needed reconstruction, would that be acceptable to you?

Even if a woman did want bigger breasts and that's why she had the surgery, then why should she have to leave toxic, mattress-grade silicon in her chest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭CommanderC

It is ridiculous. Why the HELL should the HSE be paying for some botched surgeries. Yes, it's terrible that these women have been screwed over but why the hell is the HSE getting involved ??????!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

Didn't see the article on the news but I would be surprised if this was referring to breast implants in general. It may be referring to the faulty PIP implants that some women received, which did not use medical silicon (think they used an industrial type as it was cheaper) and have been associated with ruptures and other health problems.

http://breastimplantrecalls.com/files/FDA%20WARNED%20OF%20PIP%20SILICONE%20BREAST%20IMPLANT%20MANUFACTURER%20PRIOR%20TO%20RECALLS.html

Other countries such have France are letting women who received such implants have them removed for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

are they trying to make the country go bust?

I'll get my coat

• Advertisement

The Department has said the State will provide care through the National Treatment Purchase Fund and this will involve surgical consultation, radiology and removal of implants if this is deemed clinically necessary.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0703/state-to-cover-cost-of-pip-implant-removal.html

Misleading OP is misleading.

I can see this government expenditure having its knockers, but for these women, it is all for the breast. As for them lads down in Cork whinging about their leaking penile implants and looking for taxpayers money to get them replaced, they're just taking the mickey with their inflated claims. This constant drip drip of bad news is just a silicone attempt to get money from innocent taxpayers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Scarinae wrote: »
    Not everyone gets implants just to make their breasts look bigger. What of someone had breast cancer and needed reconstruction, would that be acceptable to you?

Even if a woman did want bigger breasts and that's why she had the surgery, then why should she have to leave toxic, mattress-grade silicon in her chest?

yeah it's like when the government buys a new car for everybody who totalled theirs in a crash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Fuinseog wrote: »
    it was on the news tonight that the Irish taxpayer will foot the bill for women who decided to get breast implants and now want to get them removed. why should the taxpayer finance any of this. breast enhancement is hardly life saving surgery?

I thought the taxpayer was not footing the bill, Is it not the clinics who did the work that are paying?

The HSE should assist in some way in a case like this.

She shouldn't leave them in. She should do what she needs to do to resolve the situation i.e pursue the Harvey Medical Group for their **** up.

The HSE should not be getting involved here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Any chance of a link, OP?

I was hoping for you to inform me more as my details are sketchy.it was on the RTE news tonight. Tubridy or sleazy Brendan had the women on his show.

according to a HSE rep the taxpayer should pay for their consultation and a few other things. why?

Thats how all this mess started. So Miss, what appears to be the problem...
    FFS, I don't even have breasts!! :mad:

I was hoping for you to inform me more as my details are sketchy.it was on the RTE news tonight. Tubridy or sleazy Brendan had the women on his show.

according to a HSE rep the taxpayer should pay for their consultation and a few other things. why?

It's only right the OP provides a link, how else are we to know what you are on about?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

all that expense for surgery,they shouldnt get it done in the first place..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

To quote....

The support group for Irish women who received the implants said they were shocked at the announcement and had hoped the Harley Medical Group would cover the cost.

So why is the government paying for this not the Harley Medical Group?, do they not have insurance?

• Advertisement

Didn't see the article on the news but I would be surprised if this was referring to breast implants in general. It may be referring to the faulty PIP implants that some women received, which did not use medical silicon (think they used an industrial type as it was cheaper) and have been associated with ruptures and other health problems.

http://breastimplantrecalls.com/files/FDA%20WARNED%20OF%20PIP%20SILICONE%20BREAST%20IMPLANT%20MANUFACTURER%20PRIOR%20TO%20RECALLS.html

Other countries such have France are letting women who received such implants have them removed for free.

its a French company, isn't it?
    I fail to see why any burden should fall on the Irish taxpayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

To quote....

The support group for Irish women who received the implants said they were shocked at the announcement and had hoped the Harley Medical Group would cover the cost.

So why is the government paying for this not the Harley Medical Group?, do they not have insurance?
    Would it have anything to do with the medical council not doing enough inspections or approving the quality of implants?
    I'm just wondering if there's a loophole there somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

CommanderC wrote: »
    The HSE should assist in some way in a case like this.

She shouldn't leave them in. She should do what she needs to do to resolve the situation i.e pursue the Harvey Medical Group for their **** up.

The HSE should not be getting involved here.

A woman finds out she has toxic silicone leaking inside her and she has to bring company to court to fund getting them out?
    I agree that the Harley Medical Group should pay, but the HSE should sort out anyone with problems, then go after the HMG to recover costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Paparazzo wrote: »
    A woman finds out she has toxic silicone leaking inside her and she has to bring company to court to fund getting them out?
    I agree that the Harley Medical Group should pay, but the SHE should sort out her own bloody problems, then go after the HMG to recover costs.

FYP....

they weren't screaming at the HSE when the implants were going in where they? (and for those few cases where they were then yes go the the HSE).

But as far as I'm concerned not a single tax euro should go to any orange fake tanned high lighted bimbo's that wanted bigger boobs.

Next thing we know HSE is going to be funding tattoo removals

I was hoping for you to inform me more as my details are sketchy.
    Seriously? Then why not do what I did and Google it instead of coming out with bollocks like:
    ...the Irish taxpayer will foot the bill for women who decided to get breast implants and now want to get them removed. why should the taxpayer finance any of this. breast enhancement is hardly life saving surgery?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

wexie wrote: »
    I agree that the Harley Medical Group should pay, but the SHE should sort out her own bloody problems, then go after the HMG to recover costs.

FYP....

they weren't screaming at the HSE when the implants were going in where they? (and for those few cases where they were then yes go the the HSE).

But as far as I'm concerned not a single tax euro should go to any orange fake tanned high lighted bimbo's that wanted bigger boobs.

I hope I never become this bitter..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

FYP....

Bollocks.

That is all.

Seriously? Then why not do what I did and Google it instead of coming out with bollocks like:

so it bollix to suggest that breast implant is not necessary to save lives? you do not have to google anything. it was on the news tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

As far as I'm concerned the Irish government should have got involved a long time ago in relation to the lack of regulation in private health care companies operating in Ireland.

• Advertisement

I hope I never become this bitter..

Nothing to do with bitter, it's about wanting people in this country start taking responsibility for their own actions and stop turning to the state for everything they want, or need or feel entitled to. Especially over something so silly as breast implants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Industrial Strength Silicone tits - Jaysus :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

I'm not sure if this applies to this situation, but a lot of people here seem to be saying that its the fault of the women for getting the cosmetic surgery. Would many of these women have got the implants after having breast cance and should there not be sympathy for women who have had these implants after having a masectomy??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

That just means that women that got boob jobs whether for breast cancer reconstruction or because they wanted bigger boobies so they could look like that cretin Jordan; will have them replaced if they're faulty.

Why should the taxpayer have to pay for fixing the boob-jobs of the gobschites that initially got a boob job for non-medical reasons?

I have no problem with my taxes going towards fixing boob-jobs that were initially for medical reasons such as breast cancer.

so it bollix to suggest that breast implant is not necessary to save lives? you do not have to google anything. it was on the news tonight
    No it is bollocks to make a statement like you did, whilst conveniently missing the salient points.

If you are going to start a thread complaining about something, it's normally good cricket to do a quick google, do a small bit of research and provide a link in your OP.

How do you know it's this type of women who got them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Where's the fun in that?

hondasam wrote: »
    How do you know it's this type of women who got them?

I don't, that was a gross generalisation. However the same goes for any middle aged, bespectacled school teachers wearing woollen cardigans and socks.

I'm sure there are genuine cases out there of people that had breast implants for genuine reasons, if that is the case then by all means the HSE should help out. However if the implants were for purely cosmetic reasons then they should bloody well look after themselves.

1100 women affected I think the article mentioned. Put this in context with the SNA's that have been cut back and any number of cut backs that are effecting people's lives in a very real way. And these are things most people will NOT have had a choice in.

I think it's absolutely outrageous this has even been suggested and the people responsible in the HSE should be beaten with industrial strength silicone sticks.

PS If the HSE comes out with a VERY strongly worded statement indicating they will go after HMG with any and all available legal means, AND follow it up with actual action I might well be tempted to change my mind (on the beatings)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

To be fair, 'clinically necessary' could mean anything. It could be argued that it's clinically necessary to remove the implants as a measure of precaution. Just like having a benign growth or ingrown toenail removed.

I personally don't feel that the HSE should be offering to pay for any of it. The surgeons and practices that carried out the implantations should be paying for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sheba12

hondasam wrote: »
    I thought the taxpayer was not footing the bill, Is it not the clinics who did the work that are paying?
    :mad:we should all get together and sue the balls off that bloody hmg some shower of ******* is all they are........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

sheba12 wrote: »
    :mad:we should all get together and sue the balls off that bloody hmg some shower of ******* is all they are........

In this banana republic?! We'd end up having to spend a small fortune on legal fees and then another small fortune on replacing the balls we'd sued off and then we'd end up spending another fortune on a tribunal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I'm not too sure how to feel about this, it doesn't seem as though these implants even need to be removed as there's no evidence they're carcinogenic or cause any adverse long-term health effects. (source: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0703/breaking57.html)

If they were found to be dangerous in any way I'd support the HSE funding it, but I don't really see the point now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

The problem is exactly that - there is NO evidence.

Industrial-grade silicone products don't undergo the same levels of stringent safety testing as those for medical use. Actually not quite true - industrial products do also undergo rigorous testing, but with a different purpose in mind. Factors such as sterility and the presence of toxic and carcinogenic contaminants are of less importance than say something like resistance to extreme temperatures. Also no use just testing the stuff, with little data on batch-to-batch variability you cannot for certain state whether or not every implant is safe.

Not sure whether HSE have stated whether they intend to cover the cost of removal or removal only when a problem arises. The former, pre-emptive removal would seem to be a wiser more cost-effective move but if they reckon only a small number will need them out then perhaps not.

Finally for those bemoaning a certain type of woman who gets implants for vanity reasons only - it should be remembered we live in a culture which constantly bombards us with images of what the perfect female body should like. Many woman with smaller breasts understandably feel extremely self-conscious about their bodies.

Piste wrote: »
    I'm not too sure how to feel about this, it doesn't seem as though these implants even need to be removed as there's no evidence they're carcinogenic or cause any adverse long-term health effects. (source: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0703/breaking57.html)

If they were found to be dangerous in any way I'd support the HSE funding it, but I don't really see the point now.

Yeah but a chance to get a little hysteria going along with being able to say "breast implants" day after day on the daytime news, of course that was going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

I just find it odd that this is the only country that seems to have to deal with a private companies failing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Jester252 wrote: »
    I just find it odd that this is the only country that seems to have to deal with a private companies failing
    We're not. The French government are recommending and funding removals.

But they've been waiting around for months already, campaigning for the HSE to agree to the removal......the toxic leaking silicone inside them has allowed time for that, but not to start legal proceedings against HMG ??
    I agree that the Harley Medical Group should pay, but the HSE should sort out anyone with problems, then go after the HMG to recover costs.

Who should go after the HMG ? The HSE ?

So the HSE should cover the costs of the removal of the implants and then the HSE should also covers the costs involved in pursuing the HMG ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

To be fair, interesting way of getting a guage on how many have had them done.

Somebody, for the love of god, link some before/after pics?

Advertisement