Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you still watch TV?

• 03-07-2012 10:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 169 ✭✭

I watch pretty much everything on the laptop nowadays, the only reason I would look at a TV is if the flatmates are watching something.

Regular "telly" is on the way out. What do you think?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Not everyone has access to high speed reliable broadband :( Regular tv will be still going 20 years from now.......I hope :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I couldn't follow a show on TV if I wanted to anymore. Waiting until that specific night and time and sitting there looking at endless ads with your brain dripping out of your ears. It's horrible. It's like queuing at the bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I stopped about 10 years ago when I lost all interest in TV. There has been nothing on TV that I actually want to sit down and watch. All I use a TV for is gaming and watching downloaded stuff. There is not a single sitcom or series I like on TV ever since the Simpsons went to crap in 2000. Don't like Lost, The Wire or any of the other cool to watch series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

If something interests me on the TV, Ill watch it on the internet.

My room mates would watch stuff and Id be interested in it, but 1 week later Im 2 seasons ahead.

What the hell is the point?!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Sky+ keeps me watching. There's still a great variety of channels and programmes to get lost in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

TV died in 1999 with the introduction of Big Brother, and led to wave after wave of sh!t reality tv shows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

TV is on in the corner right now. Not paying alot of attention to it now or most evenings to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

10 GB per month doesn't leave a body with an awful lot of choice :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Nope and I havent in about 3 years. I dont watch it on the internet either. Well, mostly. The only thing I do watch is anime, which is really shown on western TV unless you count the crappy dubbed kids shows.
    Where To wrote: »
    10 GB per month doesn't leave a body with an awful lot of choice

I think I'd kill myself. I average at at about 180gb ish a month. No limit is great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

FanadMan wrote: »
    Not everyone has access to high speed reliable broadband :( Regular tv will be still going 20 years from now.......I hope :D

[geek mode]

not once analogue tv is shutdown to make room for the LTE broadcasting equipment...

seeing as Eircom has dragged it's heels with rolling out reliable broadband in ireland mobile phone operators will soon be bringing out LTE (4G) services that will use the old analogue tv broadcast frequencies and towers.... they will be able to offer speeds of upto 70mb/s.

Eircom's NGB (Not Good Broadband) is already obsolete technology.

I for one welcome our new LTE overlords :D

[/geek mode]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Some TV can be good e.g. tonight I watched an excellent BBC production of Shakespeare's Richard II, recorded the other night. The Proms are starting soon. Some good movies too - and DVR means you can skip ads and build up a stock of episodes to watch at once. It's not all trash.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

not really if walking dead series is on(its on rte) ill watch it then..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Conchir

I've never liked watching programmes online. I actually like that I have to wait, programmes start and end the way they do to build suspense and stuff, I think that's lost if I just watch everything in one go. It also gives time for the episode to sink in. Watching it on tv means there's a specific time each week I can look forward to to watch something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

I probably watch less in week now than used to watch in day in the not to distant past. There's hardly anything on I want to watch these days. The last must see programmes for me were The Sopranos and The Wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I don't even have a TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

[geek mode]

not once analogue tv is shutdown to make room for the LTE broadcasting equipment...

seeing as Eircom has dragged it's heels with rolling out reliable broadband in ireland mobile phone operators will soon be bringing out LTE (4G) services that will use the old analogue tv broadcast frequencies and towers.... they will be able to offer speeds of upto 70mb/s.

Eircom's NGB (Not Good Broadband) is already obsolete technology.

I for one welcome our new LTE overlords :D

[/geek mode]
    But in reality you'll be lucky to get......5mb, same as the advertised 21mb we have now might get you 1mb.....and all perfectly legal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I will never grasp the "I don't watch tv, there is nothing good on" crowd. They defeat their own argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭dchris

Rarely watch TV everything online. Aertv, Various players, Expat shield for UK players.. Ur only man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

I download anything I want to watch, most of the stuff on the channels we have I've already seen before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I am going back to TV I just can't watch 5 episodes of the one show in a row anymore (maybe 24 but that's the exception). I might record or catch up on line but I'll wait each week, I'll even wait for shows to appear on Free TV and follow at that pace.

I still have feckin' Damages to watch :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

Watch mostly sports and very little else although I'm loving TV3's new Pyschic show and following the thread on it on Boards.

I prefer to watch stuff on tv than online especially with sky HD. Also sky+ means you don't have to be there at the specific time. Its also nice to just sit down and flick through channels and find something good, like you would never hear of half the documentarys on history and discovery etc if you just didn't stumble upon them.

The biggest factor is sport though. I watch a lot of sport Soccer and Golf being two of the most and I hate streams, I couldn't be without a sky sports subscription.

Now I do watch downloads too but its mostly stuff that isn't shown here until a long time after the US or something that I start following after its been shown already on tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

But in reality you'll be lucky to get......5mb, same as the advertised 21mb we have now might get you 1mb.....and all perfectly legal.

no it seems to work well in other countries... granted 70mb/s will probably not be realistic but even if we get 50mb/s out of the 70mb/s its still way better than eircom's antique infrastructure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

no it seems to work well in other countries... granted 70mb/s will probably not be realistic but even if we get 50mb/s out of the 70mb/s its still way better than eircom's antique infrastructure
    What sorta download Cap are you talking?

I'm near sure I read we have a better cap than some of europe on our mobile networks now.

I know I'll waste an hour if I start googiling it:rolleyes:.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Pretty much never watch tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Still watch the Simpsons, nearly all my sport, some discovery stuff, music docs on channels like Sky Arts and BBC 4.

I watch nowhere near as much as I used to though when TV was what I did for the night regardless of what was on. Internet and XBL have taken a huge chunk of the time that once would have been devoted to TV.

Outside of the stuff I have mentioned time spent watching TV is mostly just conversation between me and my friends with little attention being paid to what's on.

Agree completely about trying to watch a series at a specific time every week. After having the freedom of watching whenever I choose it would be hard to go back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

No, not at all. I don't watch any shows or movies at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

Only watch live sport and stuff on T.V. I'd rarely watch T.V. shows these days. Usually only the odd episode of father ted or blackadder. I think i watched far too much T.V. when i was younger and am just kinda bored with it now. I will generally only make it as far as the first ad break when i watch anything now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Like yourself OP, I gave up watching TV years ago, I now watch computer. Seriously though, no ads, on demand, great quality, you get to watch shows that we don't get here, and you don't have to wait an extra six months to a year to see the next season. I have a TV, it is connected to my Xbox and my PS3 and that is it. I have grown to hate the fact that the television is always on in peoples houses, even just as background noise, it's so annoying :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Sky got cut off when I changed credit card and forgot to tell them. Didn't bother getting it back. Kids watch netflix, via xbox on house TV and noone misses regular TV. I'll leave it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

Chewing gum for the eyes Dougal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Haven't really watched TV for about five years. TV sucks balls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Pottler wrote: »
    Sky got cut off when I changed credit card and forgot to tell them. Didn't bother getting it back. Kids watch netflix, via xbox on house TV and noone misses regular TV. I'll leave it off.

If you still have the Skybox & dish, just take the Sky card out of the box & you'll get all of channels that are on Freeview (BBC, C4, ITV, Film 4 etc).

You also still get the Sky electronic programme guide. Not sure how, but it still works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Nowhere near as much as I used to up to about 3 years ago. Tele is just ****e now a day, simple as.

I really wonder how many people here have actually not seen, for instance, Dexter or Breaking Bad... There are a load of other great shows on, too but people say they haven't watched anything in years. So, "I didn't like it" isn't really an answer, as if you didn't like it, you watched it and found it not to your liking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I don't even have a tv. Tried to watch the one in the living room of my house after months of watching my laptop, the amount of ads just drove me crazy and I couldn't do it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I am amazed that so many would choose to watch on a tiny laptop screen. Surely, anyone with a laptop (or even a tablet) bought recently have a HDMI out, so they can watch stuff on the big screen?

Personally, I just plugged my desktop into my tv, so I can stream stuff as I like into my TV. Also, still have Sky for my Mum, and I watch that as well from time to time, but I think I use Sky Go a lot more, to watch stuff on demand.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Laptop screens aren't tiny, particularly if you sit close to them

Mine sits on my belly about 20 inches away from my face!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Well the Angelus is always enjoyable.

• Advertisement

Manach wrote: »
    Well the Angelus is always enjoyable.
    TL;DW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Sure, thats true to a degree, but tbh HD content look far better on a 40 or 50 inch tv screen at the end of the day, so considering that laptops have hdmi outs, I find it bizare that people choose an inferior experience, but to each there own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

TV died in 1999 with the introduction of Big Brother, and led to wave after wave of sh!t reality tv shows
    There's only been one good reality TV show, Call of the wildman. Live action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Watching TV with the husband most evenings.
    Laptops are nice for short clips and the like, but I wouldn't want to watch a whole film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37 healyon

I still watch my tv but the content is from my laptop, i hear people talking about the latest funny ads on the tv and im clueless as i havent seen ads in so long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

The only thing I watch on TV is Top Gear (when its on) and Formula 1 (which I have the option of watching online too)...

wes wrote: »
    Sure, thats true to a degree, but tbh HD content look far better on a 40 or 50 inch tv screen at the end of the day, so considering that laptops have hdmi outs, I find it bizare that people choose an inferior experience, but to each there own.

I have inferior funds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

I have the TV on in the background sometimes, but mainly I stream/download movies and TV shows.

Prefer to watch on my schedule rather than the broadcasters.

Plus it means I get to see TV shows way before they're broadcast here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

ScumLord wrote: »
    There's only been one good reality TV show, Call of the wildman. Live action.

What about Bear Gryll's Born Survivor?
    I loved that show! Sad to see he got sacked...

healyon wrote: »
    I still watch my tv but the content is from my laptop, i hear people talking about the latest funny ads on the tv and im clueless as i havent seen ads in so long
    If it weren't for going to the cinema, it'd be the same story for me. I find them especially irritating as that is the only time I have to put up with them and you can almost forget about them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement