Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you still watch TV?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Where To wrote: »
    10 GB per month doesn't leave a body with an awful lot of choice :mad:

Why do people use broadband that comes with a limit. I didn't even realise people had limits on their broadband until a few days ago when my friend was on about it.
    It makes no sense to me? :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭andy1249

Im our house , laptops are associated with work. They never ever get turned on at home, not unless your getting overtime for it in any case.

We dont do ads or live TV , but these days who does ?

Everything is either Sky +'d or on the home server , and watched on the 50 inch plasma from the comfort of the sofa whenever the mood takes.

I left "broke student" behaviour like watching TV programs from a laptop on my belly behind many many years ago , hopefully I wont be in such dire circumstances again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

What about Bear Gryll's Born Survivor?
    I loved that show! Sad to see he got sacked...
    Call of the wildman follows the turtleman as he catches snapping turtles, raccoons, possums, wild bore, the only way he knows how, with his bare hands. He's absolutely cracked, I love him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Very rarely - I'm an internet fiend! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

What sorta download Cap are you talking?

I'm near sure I read we have a better cap than some of europe on our mobile networks now.

I know I'll waste an hour if I start googiling it:rolleyes:.....

the first link explains about LTE

the second link is what other operators are currently offering but as demand for LTE goes up i would suspect cap limits would also go up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LTE_%28telecommunication%29

http://fastnetnews.com/a-wireless-cloud/61-w/4789-50-gigabyte-lte-55-in-oregon

it wont ever be better than UPC or Magnet Fibre but if u live out in the sticks where the best dsl u can get is 1 - 3mb/s then it would be a better option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

TV died in 1999 with the introduction of Big Brother, and led to wave after wave of sh!t reality tv shows

How true that is.

1) I rarely watch it, the constant barrage of moronic ads forced down your throat just ruins any & all continuity in a tv show.
    2) The picture quality [SD & even HD] doesn't hold a candle to true digital content
    3) I prefer to watch what I want, when I want.
    4) Films on TV are usually cut to bits
    5) There really is very little of interest showing, it's mostly 'celeb's & socialites' giving their purile opinions on life and that's sh1t I seriously wouldn't waste my time on.

That being said, I wonder how long it'll take before we gets ads interjected into streaming services like Netflix etc. If you've ever watched Hulu or the American streaming services, they sometimes obliterate the content with short ads over short intervals. I can see this eventually creeping its way into other options like Netflix before long. Advertising is big business.

TL : DR? HTPC. /thread

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

wes wrote: »
    Sure, thats true to a degree, but tbh HD content look far better on a 40 or 50 inch tv screen at the end of the day, so considering that laptops have hdmi outs, I find it bizare that people choose an inferior experience, but to each there own.

I've never actually watched a TV that size so I'll take your word for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭briany

Some channels on TV are great, some channels I wonder why the hell they persist with them. Believe it or not there are still some shows being shown on TV that cannot easily be found online. Some channels just insult the intelligence. MTV has become like something out of idiocracy, Comedy Central spoils us with never ending double bills of Two and a Half Men and their five standup comedy specials. The worst thing about television is just the constant constant ad breaks that are getting longer and louder with each passing year. The TV people need to work out a way of reworking ads so they are as unintrusive as possible but that is a nigh on impossible task.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mtjm

What I've tended to do latley is record various items on Magnet + and watch it later or something, only thing I do watch is the news or if I do forget to record I look online

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Not tv in my apt,watching tv content on the laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

The only thing I watch on TV is Top Gear (when its on)

When isn't it on?

They've been repeating that so much I wouldn't be surprised to turn it on one day and see the smug pr*ck Clarkson in a Ford Model T.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

no it seems to work well in other countries... granted 70mb/s will probably not be realistic but even if we get 50mb/s out of the 70mb/s its still way better than eircom's antique infrastructure
    But in reality you'll be lucky to get......5mb, same as the advertised 21mb we have now might get you 1mb.....and all perfectly legal.

Guys you may need to check the correct wording. Broadband is usually advertised in MegaBits which is 8 times less than a MegaByte.
    Theoretically a 10MegaBit broadband will have a mx download speed of 1.25MegaBytes.

I rarely watch tv myself as most tv here is in forreign. If I download a tv show or movie I would watch it on the tv htrough usb.
    As for people saying there is nothing on tv anymore, I would disagree with this. I think people's focus has changed and they would rather be online nowadays, probably watching the same things that are on tv. I'm sure you would still be watching tv if you had no internet access.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Here's a TV schedule for RTE Network 2 from 1991 for those saying there's nothing on TV anymore:

http://tvlistings.thetvroomplus.com/listing-804.html

Back then they started at 2.30 in the afternoon and finished at 11.30 at night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Kolido wrote: »
    As for people saying there is nothing on tv anymore, I would disagree with this. I think people's focus has changed and they would rather be online nowadays, probably watching the same things that are on tv. I'm sure you would still be watching tv if you had no internet access.
    I think most people are answering in terms of TV shows, not literally watching it through a TV set, as it is talking in reference of "worth watching" or "not worth watching". I'd say more watch tv shows than tv in the old standard method.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

The gf is still a telly fiend so I watch it with her after work but I'm not really a TV person at all. I like to watch sports and some shows but if I lived alone I likely wouldn't own a television.

Watching TV in North America is pretty tough going to be honest - it's just a near-constant barrage of horrible adverts from ambulance-chasing lawyers, Budweiser, and pharmaceutical and auto companies. They advertise in the middle of shows too which is absolutely infuriating. Channels like AMC (which is a movie channel) are pretty much unbearable. They employ the most cynical tactics imaginable such as jacking up the volume during ad breaks (I know that's common in Ireland too,) advertising during a movie, and worst of all, they'll stagger the ads so that the longer you watch the movie, and more involved in it you become, the more ads they'll hit you with. Stuff like this makes TV unwatchable, in my opinion...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    When isn't it on?

They've been repeating that so much I wouldn't be surprised to turn it on one day and see the smug pr*ck Clarkson in a Ford Model T.

I must add only the new episodes.

The old ones I ither have on my pc or can watch on the internet! Same for QI, almost all episodes are on youtube. No need for Dave then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Netflix is on my ps3 attached to the TV. I use my laptop to watch the series' netflix ireland doesnt have, which, surprise-surprise, is a lot.

I'd probably end up hurling the tv out the window if i was reduced to watching shoddy programming on rte

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

^Netflix Ireland is awful. There's barely any movies on it that I'ld want to watch...

Again, bring back megavideo!! :D:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I think most people are answering in terms of TV shows, not literally watching it through a TV set, as it is talking in reference of "worth watching" or "not worth watching". I'd say more watch tv shows than tv in the old standard method.

Yea I see what you mean. Sorry I must have phrased my point wrong :o
    What I mean to say is that more people would be watching tv if they had nothing else to do (ie internet). I don't think the quality of tv shows has changed that drastically in the last 10 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

^Netflix Ireland is awful. There's barely any movies on it that I'ld want to watch...

Why? The alternatives are just as good if not better.

• Advertisement

Why do people use broadband that comes with a limit. I didn't even realise people had limits on their broadband until a few days ago when my friend was on about it.
    It makes no sense to me? :L

Some people have no choice for instance the only broadband option in my home house in the country is wireless broadband from one of the mobile phone networks which is always capped at 10 or 15GBs per month depending on the deal.

i agree.. i had netflix for the trial month and watch most of the movies on it... the rest where ones ive already seen or just not interested in seeing. i didnt resub.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

i agree.. i had netflix for the trial month and watch most of the movies on it... the rest where ones ive already seen or just not interested in seeing. i didnt resub.

use Playmo.tv, It switches your DNS to US, you see all the US content.

I still have Sky but I don't want it. Wife. WIIIFE. :mad:

Snakeblood wrote: »
    use Playmo.tv, It switches your DNS to US, you see all the US content.

I still have Sky but I don't want it. Wife. WIIIFE. :mad:

i dont have sky either... i have a freesat (old sky dish) and saor view setup on my pc (Hauppage HVR 4000 ftw) it does the job.

i can't see the point in paying sky €60 a month for a few extra channels that run the same 4 tv shows over n over each day. ie discovery and sky one/two/atlantic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

I use the actual television for watching DVDs and gaming but I rarely if ever watch TV any more. It is a constant disappointment. An endless stream of reality shows peppered every few minutes with interminable adverts. Arses to that. I dont have decent internet so I rely on LoveFilm and the video store for my televisual kicks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

i dont have sky either... i have a freesat (old sky dish) and saor view setup on my pc (Hauppage HVR 4000 ftw) it does the job.

i can't see the point in paying sky €60 a month for a few extra channels that run the same 4 tv shows over n over each day. ie discovery and sky one/two/atlantic

Agree totally. I have a 50 inch tv and appletv which has netflix, youtuve, streaming and all that business. It meets my needs. Sky is utterly useless. Apart from sky Sports, but if I'm not in the pub for a match, I can just stream it from one of the streaming sites.

My wife wants to watch programs at the time they are on, and will not accept the substitute of downloading everythign and watching it whenever the fuck we like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 romanm

I personally stopped watching TV 5-7 years ago. Whenever I stay in the hotel just for a fum I switch between the channels.It's a rubbish,I rather spend the time on internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Went off TV living in holland, now i just download what i want and suffer no adverts.

Our sky bill is 91 euro per month :pac:

No i dont, i must unsubscribe. Oh wait i cant .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I'd be lost without BBC4 :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

I only watch the adult channels after 10pm IF my broadband is down

otherwise No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Very rarely.

I mostly just used to watch sports, but I subscribed to a streaming site a couple of years ago that gives me a years access to Sky Sports, ESPN, Setanta etc plus all the 3pm kick-offs on Saturday for less than the price of one months Sky subscription. They also show boxing, golf, tennis etc so most of my viewing is done on there through the laptop. I also generally watch TV shows on the internet too.

It all changed when I got the internet to be honest. I went from watching TV a lot to virtually none at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I like the medium but I couldn't follow any current TV shows by watching them every week. I really just don't want to invest time and effort into a new show that mightn't even turn out to be any good. The only thing that I watch the latest episodes of is South Park but that only seems to be on for about 30% of the year. The odd time I might watch Graham Norton or sometimes my brother will have recorded The Simpsons or Futurama and I'll watch that.

I do watch Bluray/DVD box sets a fair bit. I've finished the Sopranos a while back, got one season of 24 under my belt, one season of Mad Men and I have the complete Monty Python's Flying Circus to get through. When I finish them there are plenty more dirt cheap ones to buy on Amazon.

I don't download because my broadband is just too slow, I'd rather get it in HD where possible, I like having a collection and I don't mind paying. I wouldn't stream them because I just don't want to watch extended videos on my computer screen, I'll take the couch with a bag of microwave popcorn any day.

I honestly think Youtube has contributed to this. I'm subbed to plenty of channels on the site and they keep me busy enough that I don't have to flip through channels ever again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I don't that anyone in their right mind is going to wait months and months to see Dexter with ad-breaks, for example.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Basic stations free on the net/PC - example: http://www.filmon.com/#BBC-One
    (Legit site)
    What more do you want!

Biggins wrote: »

What more do you want!

Sky sports HD, which you are 100% sure is going to work flawlessly for any match you sit down to watch unlike crap streams that always fail is one example.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I don't that anyone in their right mind is going to wait months and months to see Dexter with ad-breaks, for example.
    I wait months, but not the months others do, but that is on account of waiting till the season of a show is done, and watch it at one go, rather than week by week.. And without ad breaks too. Couldn't wait the extra months, and then having ads. Not a whole lot of shows I'd actually watch on a week to week basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

There's been no TV signal coming into my house for the last 10 months and my only regret is that i didn't get rid of it sooner.

There's a whole world of far more interesting stuff to get absorbed in, and i'm not hearing about how the latest person evicted from Big Brother used to work in a chip shop and have just sold the rights to their life 'story' for a million quid, or something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

havent watched tv in pretty much 3 years since i moved over here. not bothered paying for cable and there's no FTA stuff, so instead i just stream or download what i want to watch

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I wait months, but not the months others do, but that is on account of waiting till the season of a show is done, and watch it at one go, rather than week by week.. And without ad breaks too. Couldn't wait the extra months, and then having ads. Not a whole lot of shows I'd actually watch on a week to week basis.

I hate having the whole series in one go, I much prefer to draw it out over a few months its more enjoyable and leaves you hanging till the next episode. If I have it I will watch it all and then that's it and no more until the following year.

This goes for downloaded stuff not just things on tv.

I hate having the whole series in one go, I much prefer to draw it out over a few months its more enjoyable and leaves you hanging till the next episode.
    It makes any show that ever does a filler episde a lot worse, though. If a show is good, and it comes out with an episode of a lower quality, it is more inclined to piss you off if you have to wait a week for the next one. On the other hand, if an episode isn't so great, and you get on to the next one that is up to the usual standard, the poor one isn't so annoying.

It also allows you to maintain the enjoyment from one episode to the next and allows you to have the same mood for the next episode. Or to have a "Oh really can't wait to see the next one" if you can't watch it right away. You get to decide for yourself if to watch right then, or come back later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I stopped about 10 years ago when I lost all interest in TV. There has been nothing on TV that I actually want to sit down and watch. All I use a TV for is gaming and watching downloaded stuff. There is not a single sitcom or series I like on TV ever since the Simpsons went to crap in 2000. Don't like Lost, The Wire or any of the other cool to watch series.

/ backs slowly away from Captain Chaos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I do. I watch regular tv as well as having sky+ too. So just watch what I want not just random stuff though. If I missed something I watch on sky+ or catch up online if I can, when have time to do so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Have Sky (with the film 301+ too) - but most nights after the kids have gone to bed, its turned off.
    A rare time its turned on.
    PC viewing and/or boxsets come out to fill in occasional gaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

Haven't had a telly for about 5 years now - maybe more - and I don't miss it at all. We do have Netflix, and when I'm bored I catch up on the series I've not seen on there - like 24 etc., although I'd agree that there's a pretty limited selection on Netflix Ireland. Thanks to this thread (and Biggins) I now have access to live UK TV - and having just watched half an hour of it I feel bombarded by adverts already!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I don't really watch scheduled tv anymore. I hook up my laptop to my tv and stream what I want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Just watch Netflix really,between the US version and the UK/Ireland version there's tonnes of films/shows/documentarys to keep me going.Grand for €7 a month too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Biggins wrote: »

What more do you want!

Sky sports HD, which you are 100% sure is going to work flawlessly for any match you sit down to watch unlike crap streams that always fail is one example.

+1

I'd rather sit through adds than a **** stream. I pay up to 20 euro for a boxing match, I'd prefer the comfort of relaxing on a couch watching a 50 inch hd screen. I despise streams, give me ads any day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Kamjana

My telly is on from the minute i finish work till i go to bed,i watch mostly Comedy central and Sky1 and when the football starts back ill be watching Sky sports,but i have started to watch more films on Netflix the last few weeks,and i recently just got a new 47inch telly with 3D and since ive got that i have been watching more.

• Advertisement
Advertisement