Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you still watch TV?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Sky sports HD, which you are 100% sure is going to work flawlessly for any match you sit down to watch unlike crap streams that always fail is one example.

Spend €30 for a years subscription to a streaming site and have the option of watching far more matches than Sky show. They also rarely, if ever fail and are available on multiple channels so if one does go you have 2 or 3 others to fall back on.

The quality is very, very good and you could even hook the laptop up to the TV, not HD quality obviously but I'd sacrifice that in order to save yourself a fortune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

not really if walking dead series is on(its on rte) ill watch it then..

Really? There only advertising season 2 now. Download that 1GB of epicness one day after the states :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

nope, watch everything on line, netflix and downloads ftw. Dont get how people say all tv is sh1t though there's tons of good shows if you avoid the dreck. choose from:

Arrested Development
    The Wire
    Game Of Thrones
    Boardwalk Empire
    Breaking Bad
    Community
    Battlestar Galactica
    Sons Of Anarchy
    Oz
    Californication
    Weeds
    The West Wing
    Firefly

off the top of my head to name but a few shows well worth watching, old and new

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

krudler wrote: »
    nope, watch everything on line, netflix and downloads ftw. Dont get how people say all tv is sh1t though there's tons of good shows if you avoid the dreck. choose from:

A here now, I spent weeks watching Game Of Thrones waiting for this fu*king war between the lads are nothing happened. I also watching battle star galacticia at the moment(download) Season 3 and 4 (up to episode 4) are crap but I do hope it improves. Weeds is great cant wait for the next season

Wheres all the american chopper lovers????????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

+1

I'd rather sit through adds than a **** stream. I pay up to 20 euro for a boxing match, I'd prefer the comfort of relaxing on a couch watching a 50 inch hd screen. I despise streams, give me ads any day.

You haven't checked out the free channels then in the link I posted.
    There are some really crap streaming services and they are giving the good ones a bad name by association just of the word "streaming".

The BBC, UTV, etc at http://www.filmon.com/#BBC-One for example work fine for FREE basic viewing - and they are by default, in HD unless you select to go to standard viewing.
    ...O' and no interfering web ads except for those that come with the station itself.

Paully D wrote: »
    Spend €30 for a years subscription to a streaming site and have the option of watching far more matches than Sky show. They also rarely, if ever fail and are available on multiple channels so if one does go you have 2 or 3 others to fall back on.

The quality is very, very good and you could even hook the laptop up to the TV, not HD quality obviously but I'd sacrifice that in order to save yourself a fortune.

I just don't like streams, the best stream I have ever seen on sopcast cannot compare to tv. I'm happy to pay for the comfort of sitting down and watching matches on proper tv not messing around with the net. Same for golf, especially as golf streams are hard to find and usually crap quality. No messing you know whats on and when its on, turn on the tv select channel and that's it.

I also get sky sports on my laptop and iPhone for free with the subscription so no matter where I am I can follow soccer and golf with no messing.

I watch streams for matches that cant be got on any standard channel and sometimes even go to one of the pubs that show 3pm kick offs rather than put myself through a stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭LincolnsBeard

I get laptop withdrawals when watching TV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I've got a relatively low bandwidth cap, 50GB, so I can't be using my connection as a 'constant' telly... so to speak.

So, yes, I still watch TV from time to time, with Sky HD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

For those who hate streams, thats what torrenting and ddl is for. I love my blue-rays, also I have a 24" screen so hah! I do have a 32" but I dislike such a large screen for a pc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Fizman wrote: »
    / backs slowly away from Captain Chaos.

What can I say, I don't have much if any interests. I'm not into any sport or music either. Why I'm even alive I'm not too sure.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I really wonder how many people here have actually not seen, for instance, Dexter or Breaking Bad... There are a load of other great shows on, too but people say they haven't watched anything in years. So, "I didn't like it" isn't really an answer, as if you didn't like it, you watched it and found it not to your liking.
    I'm sure people are watching them, just not actually on TV...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I really wonder how many people here have actually not seen, for instance, Dexter or Breaking Bad... There are a load of other great shows on, too but people say they haven't watched anything in years. So, "I didn't like it" isn't really an answer, as if you didn't like it, you watched it and found it not to your liking.

I've never seen either. If I do it won't be on TV though since they never seem to be on.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭validusername1

I never watch TV. Sometimes I put it on in the background just to have noise going on but I don't actually watch it. If I wanna watch anything, I do it online. Can't be bothered with having to be sitting watching TV on a certain day and time if I can just get it online at whatever time I want. Also hate having to wait a week between episodes if I watch something on TV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

C14N wrote: »
    I've never seen either. If I do it won't be on TV though since they never seem to be on.
    The examples weren't meant to be exhaustive. Just bafflement at what seemed to be people saying they haven't watched any tv shows in years because "nothing is on". Maybe they meant they don't watch tv shows when they are on tv as when they watch tv nothing is on.

Going in to the ins and outs of what shows are worth watching in any real depth though, is probably going in to more depth than I ought on this thread. That, and I don't really want to do so right now anyway :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭briany

I agree with all the 'I want to watch what I want when I want' sentiment. The idea of waiting week to week for each new episode or even six months for an already airing series to make it across the water seems totally arcane.

There is only the danger that watching too many episodes of a given series too close together hampers your ability to really digest each episode as it comes to you and that you can lose out on the communal experience of gathering round to watch something that you enjoy with other people who also enjoy it.

Ad breaks are the thing that I think will kill television completely. As the viewing audience comes to be made of more and more people who view them as beneath contempt and unacceptable, broadcasters will have to completely rejig the way they're done or face being obliterated. However, being obliterated is a thing that I personally would like to see happen to all but maybe 18 channels. :)

briany wrote: »
    Ad breaks are the thing that I think will kill television completely. As the viewing audience comes to be made of more and more people who view them as beneath contempt and unacceptable, broadcasters will have to completely rejig the way they're done or face being obliterated. However, being obliterated is a thing that I personally would like to see happen to all but maybe 18 channels. :)

Sky+ has already more or less got rid of the problem of watching ads except during live sport obviously and no stream or anything else will get rid of ads during live events I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Nope. iPad + Laptop has made it worthless moreworthless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

Yes, ignoring every other post. I'm watching it now while posting this. I can multitask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Watching repeats of Stargate on the telly is relaxing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Sky+ has already more or less got rid of the problem of watching ads except during live sport obviously and no stream or anything else will get rid of ads during live events I'm afraid.
    Time Warner Cable patents method for disabling fast-forward function on DVRs

Only a matter of time before it's over here.

YouView finally unveiled two years behind schedule

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭briany

Could always SKY+ the live sport and watch it a half an hour behind or so.

Some streamers are actually courteous fellows who instead of showing the ads will cut to a black screen which is much better than 90 percent of ads anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Have HD streams updated daily on the HTPC, finding myself either watching pointless stuff on the American channels or watching Animal Planet. The gf does be in tears watching Animal Cops - Phoenix :pac:

Used to be a guy a few years ago who would share streams of Sky channels and other UK channels., which was great during that time. He had to pull the plug after Sky got their lawyers after him and he ended up having to cough up an insane amount of money or face 10-15 years in jail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Haven't had a tv night in a few years. Don't have time to sit down at a set time and watch a tv show each week.
    All my tv shows are watched online or get them from friends.

I still go regularly to the cinema with mates to watch movies though, only copy old movies.

Bought a nice 32" Sony tv a few months ago for my room. Sole propose is for my PS3 and movies. Not even wired to an arial or set top box.

Given how rampant TV piracy already is, they're really shooting themselves in the foot with that.

briany wrote: »
    Could always SKY+ the live sport and watch it a half an hour behind or so.

Some streamers are actually courteous fellows who instead of showing the ads will cut to a black screen which is much better than 90 percent of ads anyway.

I couldn't do that with live sport, if its live I have to watch it live, also I would usually be getting tweets, texts etc from friends during sport so I couldn't do it even if I wanted as they would ruin it on me.

On your second point I'd rather watch the ads, some ads can be funny and its better than watching a black screen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

barely now, just the racing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

barely now, just the racing

Pretty much the same, very few shows are watched, usually one of the two racing channels are on. If it wasn't for sport I'd prob not have a tv tbh

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

There's plenty of stations on a laptop if there is the broad band speed . 'Threw the tv set out a few years ago . I have a projector and big screen though i was excited at first i rarely bother ..age i suppose .

paddyandy wrote: »
    There's plenty of stations on a laptop if there is the broad band speed . 'Threw the tv set out a few years ago . I have a projector and big screen though i was excited at first i rarely bother ..age i suppose .

Would you not just plug the laptop into the projector? I always find it a lot more comfortable to watch stuff on a big screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Given how rampant TV piracy already is, they're really shooting themselves in the foot with that.
    I don't think they are, I always thought they were shooting themselves in the foot by bringing in sky+. Skys advertisers can't be too happy knowing the ads they're paying thousands for are being skipped over by everyone. It's almost pointless buying ad space with them. I haven't heard any complaints about it yet though.

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't think they are, I always thought they were shooting themselves in the foot by bringing in sky+. Skys advertisers can't be too happy knowing the ads they're paying thousands for are being skipped over by everyone. It's almost pointless buying ad space with them. I haven't heard any complaints about it yet though.

I just mean in regards to driving customers away. I would rarely never watch TV if I couldn't skip ads except for maybe the odd football match and RTE generally have that covered for me. I just think that in this day and age, this sort of move will anger a lot of customers who have other places to turn to.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

I stopped about 10 years ago when I lost all interest in TV. There has been nothing on TV that I actually want to sit down and watch. All I use a TV for is gaming and watching downloaded stuff. There is not a single sitcom or series I like on TV ever since the Simpsons went to crap in 2000. Don't like Lost, The Wire or any of the other cool to watch series.

Watch Breaking Bad

ScumLord wrote: »

I reckon the majority of advertising money is during live sport nowadays which in 99% of cases is not recorded so cannot be skipped over.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

If it wasn't for sport I wouldn't watch anything on TV channels. I mostly download stuff and watch it on my TV through my PS3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

I guess ive severely subconciously stopped watching TV, unless its either something very important or something I exceptionally like and im having a lazy day not sure if i want to watch a boxset/dvd.

The majority of TV seems to be just background stuff imho, il admit though that any shows from back in the day aka 80s/90s being shown im all over it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

A laptop can't ever replace a TV. It's awkward to lye on a couch trying to watch a laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

But really I only watch things I have recorded or matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭VampiricPadraig

There is nothing on TV that interests me. If I want to watch something, I'll watch it in my own time!.

Also, I am not into sports, so I am constantly trying to find a channel that is NOT talking about the Euro 2012, Wimbledon, Olympics..Hell, even RTEjr on Soarview is talking about it! (That might...not..be true, but you know what I mean).

I use my TV to play games and maybe a movie here and there. I might watch RTE News for about 10 mins to see if anything interesting happened. TV to me...is dead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I just mean in regards to driving customers away.
    I think people have shown they'll go along with all sorts of things and many won't know any better and just continue to watch.
    I reckon the majority of advertising money is during live sport nowadays which in 99% of cases is not recorded so cannot be skipped over.
    The other channels that don't show sport have to make money some way. That's maybe why you see so many phone in things but they will still depend on advertising. Unless sky is funding them, I don't know how that set up works.
    smash wrote: »
    A laptop can't ever replace a TV. It's awkward to lye on a couch trying to watch a laptop.
    Plug laptop into TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I'll watch the odd movie (older or more recent is fine by me ) some sport , documentrys on History and Music ( Sky Arts /BBC 4 would be my fav ) but I'm equally happy to have music playing with the tv on mute in the background .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Ah yeah, I still watch tv at night. It's a nice way to wind down. Mainly reruns though, I can't think of any programmes I watch on the TV first run. Too many ads and too short an attention span to wait a week.

Of course my cousins post me over tapes of American shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

The question is out of date.

The "telly" is just a display.

For instance if I'm using the HDMI cable to watch rte from my laptop on the TV am I watching Telly?

Or is it only "tv" when its live?

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I only watch news, Corrie and sport on TV. Any movies or documentaries get downloaded. Relying on RTE/BBC whatever you'd still be on season 2 of Breaking Bad. Season packs with a bottle of wine are passable fun for a rainy weekend like this.
    Check out the amount of threads in the TV forum with [US PACE SPOILERS] tags in their titles to see how rampant this is.

InTheTrees wrote: »
    The question is out of date.

The "telly" is just a display.

For instance if I'm using the HDMI cable to watch rte from my laptop on the TV am I watching Telly?

Or is it only "tv" when its live?

:confused:

It refers to television i.e. televised vision. So the stuff that's actually broadcasted. A TV that isn't used for that is basically a monitor. It does get a bit muddled though because when they're sold in boxsets, is it still "TV"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

I've pretty much stopped watching TV because most of the show's I'm interested in are either re-runs or else they are several series behind whats available on the Internet. Its very off-putting having to sit though 4-5 ad breaks during an hour long program when instead you can bang through 2-3 episodes online at your ease.

If you ever watch a supposedly hour long program online its rarely linger than 40 minutes.That's 20 minutes of ad's. The only thing I use the TV for is sport and even that's getting easier to find online through Sky mobile and even RTE live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭rob w

Only use the tv for watching live sport, as I can't stand streaming it! Everything else is watched on my laptop!! Honestly can't even remember the last programme I watched on tv! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

Only for films...could live without it tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

gone are the days of friday night tv. tfi friday - brilliant. the word - brilliant. eurotrash - funny, the list goes on

tv is crap nowadays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

gone are the days of friday night tv. tfi friday - brilliant. the word - brilliant. eurotrash - funny, the list goes on

tv is crap nowadays

I think that tripe is still replayed on Bravo ;)

• Advertisement

Chavways wrote: »
    I've pretty much stopped watching TV because most of the show's I'm interested in are either re-runs or else they are several series behind whats available on the Internet. Its very off-putting having to sit though 4-5 ad breaks during an hour long program when instead you can bang through 2-3 episodes online at your ease.

If you ever watch a supposedly hour long program online its rarely linger than 40 minutes.That's 20 minutes of ad's. The only thing I use the TV for is sport and even that's getting easier to find online through Sky mobile and even RTE live.

I noticed this too while watching DVDs. An episode of something like South Park or The Simpsons is usually 20 minutes while an episode of 24 is always 42. What you do notice though is that shows from the "Premium" American channels like AMC and HBO run longer. Mad Men is usually about 50 minutes and the Sopranos was sometimes a full hour.

Advertisement