Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you still watch TV?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

C14N wrote: »
    I noticed this too while watching DVDs. An episode of something like South Park or The Simpsons is usually 20 minutes while an episode of 24 is always 42. What you do notice though is that shows from the "Premium" American channels like AMC and HBO run longer. Mad Men is usually about 50 minutes and the Sopranos was sometimes a full hour.

Advertising has got out of hand and while I don't usually use the TV3 player, if I did want to use it, I wouldn't be bothered as it put about 5 ads before any show!

HBO don't show adverts during programming as they are a premium channel, something that Sky Atlantic should aim to do IMO.

AMC afaik do show ads but they are only basic cable, not sure if they show less advertising then network tv in the US.

GOLD (and UKTV channels in general) is insane with ads, especially when they have BBC repeats. E.g

21:00 Blackadder
    21:20 Ads
    21:26 Blackadder
    21:36 Ads
    21:40 Only Fools
    21:58 Ads
    21:04 Only Fools
    21:28 Ads

I definately think they show 6mins of ads during one ad break :eek: Of course people will eventually stop watching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Elmo wrote: »
    Advertising has got out of hand and while I don't usually use the TV3 player, if I did want to use it, I wouldn't be bothered as it put about 5 ads before any show!

HBO don't show adverts during programming as they are a premium channel, something that Sky Atlantic should aim to do IMO.

I think it's something Sky in general should aim to do. With the internet, the world is moving toward a "freemium" model of content delivery and to be honest, it feels like you should be either able to pay a fair price for just pure content (like HBO), or get it for free but with ads (like RTE, although I am aware that is a semi-state body :rolleyes:) and that is what people are starting to expect. It's still a bit off yet though, imo it will take piracy becoming more widespread (which I honestly think is inevitable over the next few years as more people who use the "old model" die and more kids who know how to get this stuff for free come along) for the major providers and networks to realise they need to adjust.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I watch TV however I never watch live tv anymore, Sky+ HD is brilliant and my watching usually consists of documentaries on Nat Geo etc. For High-Def stuff it is easier as you don't have to go looking for download links, youtube etc. However I never watch live and just fast forward through the ad breaks which are anything up to 6mins long.

Like TV, Hate ads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Stinicker wrote: »
    I watch TV however I never watch live tv anymore, Sky+ HD is brilliant and my watching usually consists of documentaries on Nat Geo etc. For High-Def stuff it is easier as you don't have to go looking for download links, youtube etc. However I never watch live and just fast forward through the ad breaks which are anything up to 6mins long.

Like TV, Hate ads
    Caught in the Act is back on Nat Goe Wild Wednesday at 20.00

Amended Japanese copyright law to make illegal downloads a criminal offense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

I watch lots on my laptop but still enjoy the communal experience of watching telly with people. Laptops are quite anti-social when others are present. Prefer watching programme at a distance too and from any angle I please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Doylers wrote: »
    A here now, I spent weeks watching Game Of Thrones waiting for this fu*king war between the lads are nothing happened. I also watching battle star galacticia at the moment(download) Season 3 and 4 (up to episode 4) are crap but I do hope it improves. Weeds is great cant wait for the next season

Wheres all the american chopper lovers????????

in the first season? that all comes later, theres a big ass battle in the second one, a lot of the battles in the books arent described first hand either so that fits in with them, you usually see the aftermath.

I think it's something Sky in general should aim to do. With the internet, the world is moving toward a "freemium" model of content delivery and to be honest, it feels like you should be either able to pay a fair price for just pure content (like HBO), or get it for free but with ads (like RTE, although I am aware that is a semi-state body :rolleyes:) and that is what people are starting to expect. It's still a bit off yet though, imo it will take piracy becoming more widespread (which I honestly think is inevitable over the next few years as more people who use the "old model" die and more kids who know how to get this stuff for free come along) for the major providers and networks to realise they need to adjust.

I'd agree but there are only so many ads even on a free to air service that you can take. (GOLD is part owned by the BBC).

You also have to remember that ads or subscriptions pay for content, your broadband subscriptions don't.

Freeium - second time this week I have heard this new term, how random!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Elmo wrote: »
    You also have to remember that ads or subscriptions pay for content, your broadband subscriptions don't.

Yeah, I meant that I wish it was either no subscription but with ads, or you basically pay extra (as in, you pay the site a fee like on Netflix) and sort of buy the ads away.

Yeah, I meant that I wish it was either no subscription but with ads, or you basically pay extra (as in, you pay the site a fee like on Netflix) and sort of buy the ads away.

Wait until they realize that they can put a few on, look at the cinema, It's getting to the stage were their are 20 ads for products, I go to the cinema for a film and trailers not ads.

Advertisement