Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New born baby things

Options
  • 03-07-2012 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭

Hey all.
    I need your help, as I wouldn't know one end of a baby from the other. My best friend is pregnant, isn't sure of the sex yet, and I'm making a surprise baby hamper thing for her. As it is, my experience with babies is quite limited and beyond knowing bolavy vests always come in handy, I'd appreciate any suggestions on what I can get, that will be used. I've got basics already, such as a couple packets of newborn nsppies, some long sleeve vests, short sleeved vests, burp cloth, mittens and hats, sudocreme, cotton balls, the avent new born starter kit (how many bottles do you suggest?) bibs, and some of thar johnstons bath stuff. I have until late November to finish the hamper so price isn't really an issue (within reason).

All suggestions appreciated. Like I said, clueless!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭lounakin

November will be cold so you could add a babygrow (all in one pj) but you seem to have it all covered. I would add stuff for the mother because if she's anything like me, she will enjoy buying stuff herself for her baby. I remember getting so much for my baby from other people I had literally nothing to buy! It was disappointing so I ended up buying extra stuff I didn't need just for the fun of it. Or perhaps you could add a voucher? Next and H&M do super super cute clothes for kids, H&M is really cheap and cute but the quality is better in Next. Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Polloloca wrote: »
    Hey all.
    I need your help, as I wouldn't know one end of a baby from the other. My best friend is pregnant, isn't sure of the sex yet, and I'm making a surprise baby hamper thing for her. As it is, my experience with babies is quite limited and beyond knowing bolavy vests always come in handy, I'd appreciate any suggestions on what I can get, that will be used. I've got basics already, such as a couple packets of newborn nsppies, some long sleeve vests, short sleeved vests, burp cloth, mittens and hats, sudocreme, cotton balls, the avent new born starter kit (how many bottles do you suggest?) bibs, and some of thar johnstons bath stuff. I have until late November to finish the hamper so price isn't really an issue (within reason).

All suggestions appreciated. Like I said, clueless!!

Is she planning on breastfeeding? I would ask if she has any particular brand in mind if she is planning on using bottles at all, some can be better to use with BF due to the shape of the teat. Muslin cloths, cellular blanket, maybe a nice new big towel for Mammy and some bath goodies or similar for her? I love the burts bee's baby bath products many people will not use johnsons as they can quite harsh on the skin. Elave products are also quite good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Polloloca

Thanks girls!! Never thought of the fact she might want to do things herself, yikes! Just feel bad for her as she's very young and was not expecting this. Don't think she will be breastfeeding. Stuff for mommy is a fantastic idea, but can anybody tell me what a cellular blanket is? Will bear that in mind about Johnstons and will look out for both those suggestions Lola. x

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Polloloca wrote: »
    Thanks girls!! Never thought of the fact she might want to do things herself, yikes! Just feel bad for her as she's very young and was not expecting this. Don't think she will be breastfeeding. Stuff for mommy is a fantastic idea, but can anybody tell me what a cellular blanket is? Will bear that in mind about Johnstons and will look out for both those suggestions Lola. x

I'm a young Momma too :) if she is very early in her pregnancy then maybe let her know you were planning on getting a few bits together and if she had any preferences/suggestions to let you know? I'm sure she will be glad of the support. Some other suggestions would be a thermometer, baby nail clippers, natural sponges, hooded baby towel etc.

A cellular blanket is one that has holes in it like this one. They are recommended for use over any other kind as they allow air flow around the baby which will help reduce the chance over heating, a potential cause of SIDS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭lounakin

Cellular blankets are for babies, you find them in all baby stores as well as Dunnes. They have holes and are very breatheable for the baby not to overheat. They tend to be ridiculously pricey and in Ireland you'll only find pink, blue or white! Unless you really look for them. Mamas and Papas do really nice coloured ones, they are VERY pricey though. I've seen amazing ones in Avoca but same thing: they cost about 90 quid!
    Muslin cloths, I concur, this is a good idea as they are not much fun to buy! They are expensive too, Mothercare sells 6 for 20 euro I think, but I've looked everywhere and they're all the same price. Tesco has them cheaper but they are crappy and so thin they don't actually work. The cheapest I've come across are in Ikea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Wipes! We got a lovely hamper gift from a friend which was entirely baby wipes. The baby sensitive ones. We are still working through it 16 months later. Awesome gift. :)

The other sizes of nappies. Everyone will get her newborn ones. Get a pack each of size two and three as well.

Bath and room thermometer. Avent do a floating combo one that dunnes stores stock in the baby section. Also, ear thermometers are handy for knowing when baby is sick, but a bit more expensive.

Soothers, the NUK ones we found to be good.

A rubber ducky. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Medical syringes for calpol/ othe medicine. A chemist will usually give you a few for free, a d they can be sterilised and reused.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

We got this as a gift: http://www.smythstoys.com/bathing-and-changing-182sc/babylo-bath-sponge-107365itm.aspx

and its brilliant. It was daunting at first bathing baby without it- you would hold him the way they taught us in the hospital but he would slide around the bath as he is so small, then flail around more because he was startled at the sliding. And babies are so slippy when wet, you worry that he would wriggle out of your grip.

With this sponge junior stays nice and steady, you still have to hold onto him and it cushions him too. Our fella loves it, and so do I!

Its about 4 quid in Smyths, and I'd highly recommend it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Some medi-swabs for cleaning around the cord stump after baby comes home..

A little baby grooming kit with tiny nail clippers, safety scissors, soft hairbrush etc..

A 'Sophie the Giraffe' teether.. babies love them :D

Scratch mitts..

Cradle cap ointments..

A hooded towel..

A bottle cleaning brush..

Advertisement