Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Standard" house rental agreement

Options
  • 03-07-2012 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I have searched the forum but most of the threads and replies I have seen are old.

Anyway, we are about to rent our house out and I am trying to find a definitive template for us to draw up the lease agreement which complies with all relevant and recent legislation.

I have found some sample ones online, some free, some charged for, but if anyone has any definitive links to compliant rental agreements I'd appreciate it - http://www.irishlandlord.com seems to be the closest I can find.

In the UK you can buy a "pack" from stationers which has everything needed - lease agreement, inventory, referencing forms etc. - but I haven't seen similar in Ireland.

Thanks for any pointers!

SSE

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭helen1

I used this one in the past. http://www.topfloor.ie/freebies/lease

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

helen1 wrote: »
    I used this one in the past. http://www.topfloor.ie/freebies/lease

Cheers for that!

SSE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

It is one thing to have a legal lease but it is much more important to know all the ins and outs of renting. You should know what to do and what both your legal obligations are and your tenant's rights and obligations. There are many, many instances of landlords having been fined and have had to pay damages to tenants when the landlord either did not know the law or chose not to abide by the law.

You should download and read repeatedly the residential Tenancies Act 2004.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

I'm currently renewing my lease (been here a year) and reading through it its totally different from my previous lease, it contains things such as 'exterior windows must be professionally cleaned no less than 4 times a year', something I've never seen in any lease I've held?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

I'm currently renewing my lease (been here a year) and reading through it its totally different from my previous lease, it contains things such as 'exterior windows must be professionally cleaned no less than 4 times a year', something I've never seen in any lease I've held?

Gracirfacey, this would probably have been better as a new thread as it relates to a clause in a lease and not to a template for a new lease.

To have the windows cleaned at least 4 times a year is fairly common in a lease. However, to have them "professionally" cleaned is IMHO less common.

The landlord may be thinking that a "professional" cleaner will have insurance if he either breaks a window or falls and injures himself. Not being a legal eagle, there is a possibility that if the tenant was cleaning the window and fell, thus injuring himself, then the landlord may be held liable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement