Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Begging outside Bank of Ireland Newbridge.

Options
  • 03-07-2012 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Has anyone ever been harassed by the women begging outside bank of Ireland in Newbridge ?? This women is there almost every day for months now.She actually approaches people while they are making translations at the atm machine usually asking for two euro. i am surprised that bank of Ireland are allowing this to happen as besides harassing their customers begging is illegal.She approached my wife recently and made her feel very uncomfortable, my wife rang the bank complaining but nothing has been done about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭brian_t

lanomist wrote: »
    She actually approaches people while they are making translations at the atm machine usually asking for two euro.

Are you sure that she is not trying to get your pin number.

I would have thought that it should be the Gardai you complain to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

Seen her a few times alright, just give her a firm no! It's not up to the bank, she's on a public street so its the guards you should be complaining to.

Yeah you've got to complain to the Guards not the bank. A firm "get the hell away from me" gets rid of her. I may have said ruder things too. Anyway coming too close at an ATM gets an earful in fact, begger or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Well shes prob better off their than outside ulsterbank

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

You get use to her after awhile. Blank her existence and she tends to get the message and stop bothering you. As for the guards sure you can contact them they will come down remove her and then she will be back down again later that day or the next day. She is homeless so what can they do really keep her in prison? Im not defending her being at the bank but its the reality of the situation. Its the same thing with all the gipsy's all over the town outside post office and selling their crap outside penney's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭muppet_man

That woman is always there. Can't remember her name but my GF knows it as she used to constantly ask for two euro or for a cigarette as my GF smokes. That was until a few weeks ago in no uncertain terms she was told quite loudly where to go.
    This person no longer looks at my GF let alone ask for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

New laws came in early in 2011 that allow Gardai to move people begging near ATMs

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0202/begging.html

If this person is bugging you , report them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 retrohead

JeffK88 wrote: »
    You get use to her after awhile. Blank her existence and she tends to get the message and stop bothering you.......

Thats what I do. Every time someone goes past her or is at the atm or bus stop you hear "excuse me". I said I have no change the first time she asked me and ignored her from then on. She doesn't "excuse me" anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Personally I find the charm used by the guy selling the Big Issue outside Tesco much more irritating!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

bureau2009 wrote: »
    Personally I find the charm used by the guy selling the Big Issue outside Tesco much more irritating!
    He is a pain, he is really nice though so I just say I'm in a hurry! Why do Tesco allow this guy annoy their customers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

Why do Tesco allow this guy annoy their customers!

Because he sorts out the trolleys. Yes he gets the odd bit of change doing that but there is no tesco staff doing that.

He does not shove the magazine at you. If you do not want it he politely nods and that is it. Hardly annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

Damien360 wrote: »
    Because he sorts out the trolleys. Yes he gets the odd bit of change doing that but there is no tesco staff doing that.

He does not shove the magazine at you. If you do not want it he politely nods and that is it. Hardly annoying.

Because of him, I've stopped shopping at Tesco in Newbridge and drive down to Naas. He's there with his son who goes around checking if people were to lazy to leave the trolleys beside their cars. He brings them back to the trolley cay and keeps the money. The father is at a vantage point so he checks the trolleys and then directs the son. I've never seen anyone buy a magazine from him so, clearly, they're after the trolley business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

regedit wrote: »
    Because of him, I've stopped shopping at Tesco in Newbridge and drive down to Naas. He's there with his son who goes around checking if people were to lazy to leave the trolleys beside their cars. He brings them back to the trolley cay and keeps the money. The father is at a vantage point so he checks the trolleys and then directs the son. I've never seen anyone buy a magazine from him so, clearly, they're after the trolley business.
    Whats wrong with checking the trolleys for money ,at least he is clean and polite he doesent beg he gets a small commission for selling the magazine,also if you did do your shopping there like you said you did,after about 3 times of asking would you like to buy a magazine ,he would not bodder to ask you anymore and would only be polite and say hello after that.

I'm sorry but that is a ridiculous reason for not shopping there.

I'd prefer to give the lad a 20c tip for returning the trolly then pay a euro or whatever it costs to buy a magazine I probably wouldn't read.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

You'd drive over to Naas to do your shopping just because yer man is at the door of Newbridge Tesco??? Jeez dude, think about the effort, time and petrol money you expend doing that just because he asks you if you want to buy a magazine.

Money and time to burn!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Yer one lives in kildare, gets the bus in and stands there all day from what i see

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dave45dave

bureau2009 wrote: »

Correct - and he picks her up in his BMW.
    Was going to post this at the end of thread until i stumbled across yours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Has anyone ever been harassed by the women begging outside bank of Ireland in Newbridge ?? This women is there almost every day for months now.She actually approaches people while they are making translations at the atm machine usually asking for two euro. i am surprised that bank of Ireland are allowing this to happen as besides harassing their customers begging is illegal.She approached my wife recently and made her feel very uncomfortable, my wife rang the bank complaining but nothing has been done about it.

Check out the chuggers that can sometimes lurk outside Newbridge post office if you want to see real intimidation, bullying and harassment.

The woman outside BOI is harmless by comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Sure aren't you blessed to be in a position to have an ATM card to take money out of the bank,rather than standing looking at other people doing it and to drive to the next town to fill your trolley because the man selling magazines at the door of one upsets you. :D

As said above i find the chuggers (who seem to be mostly 'bubbly' types from middle-class backgrounds) far more annoying,still though i rarely change my street walking selection based on them lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

What is a 'chugger'?

My approach to beggars, magazine sellers and the guys selling papers at traffic lights etc, is to put on my most incredibly pi**ed off face.

If you look like you are ready to tear the head of the next person who breaths your air, they will leave you alone.

Works every time for me, but maybe I just generally look like an unapproachable narky old bo**ix. :D

• Advertisement

prospect wrote: »
    What is a 'chugger'?

A Charity Mugger.

Someone paid to collect or who gets a percentage of their takings.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 smithfish

What is wrong with you people!! Get a ****ing life. She's a native of Newbridge and you're probably just a blow-in anyway. Are you so fragile that you can't say no to this woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

...and may I remind everyone to be civil..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 smithfish

Let he or she who is without sin!! Even the Sumerain's had tolerence for the poor and laws to protect them. It seems we as a spieces have devolved instead of evolved. The future is bright :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Schecter01

How she sits there day in day out is beyond me, shes like the newbridge mascot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭FionnK86

I remember seeing your one who sits outside the post office begging in the middle of Pairc Mhuire, but sure her son was running around behind her with brand new nike gear!If she was as poor as she says she is surely she would go to a SVP shop were the clothes are cheaper:o

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Schecter01

Poor woman in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Don't bump ancient threads for no reason

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement