Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Job searching

• 03-07-2012 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Looking for a job at the moment to fund my way through my upcoming Masters degree. I really need a job, badly, and yet am getting nowhere. I'm getting fairly sick of hearing from people, 'If you want a job badly enough you'll get one, put the absolute most effort in that is possible.'

Am I right in saying the jobs just aren't there?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

I dont give but I like to receive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

there's jobs out there, just probably not what you're looking for, mainly unskilled lowpaying jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

There are jobs out there. Problem is alot are only offering part time.
    Also, its an employers market. Alot of employers are looking for people who have done the exact same position before, for at least 3 years. Even if its a 'mickey mouse job such as working in a cafe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

There are jobs out there. Problem is alot are only offering part time.
    Also, its an employers market. Alot of employers are looking for people who have done the exact same position before, for at least 3 years. Even if its a 'mickey mouse job such as working in a cafe.
    A lot of positions are now filled through the jobsbridge scheme too.

Good luck, OP, I hop you manage to find work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Whats your masters in. You could consider advertising for grinds. Otherwise just sell drugs.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Same cant find anything. There arent jobs everywhere. There seems to be obviously alot more floating around Dublin. I cant afford to move at the moment though. Rejection notices are sickening though. Maybe its me but this summer seems to be even worse than previous years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Whats your masters in. You could consider advertising for grinds. Otherwise just sell drugs.

Or if the poster is female, she could sell used shoes to those foot fetish guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

I have 2 degrees in one particular area, highly educated and about a years experience in that area from between my degrees.

I cant even get a relevant Jobbridge place.

On the subject of being unemployed and looking for work....

My sign in day was today. Place was more busier than usual too. Still alot of people out of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

goose1 wrote: »
    Looking for a job at the moment to fund my way through my upcoming Masters degree. I really need a job, badly, and yet am getting nowhere. I'm getting fairly sick of hearing from people, 'If you want a job badly enough you'll get one, put the absolute most effort in that is possible.'

There are ALWAYS jobs. ALWAYS. So 'people' are right. And you are either not trying hard enough, are expecting too much or are crap at job hunting. Given the unfocussed vague silly question Im not surprised

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

D1stant wrote: »
    There are ALWAYS jobs. ALWAYS. So 'people' are right. And you are either not trying hard enough, are expecting too much or are crap at job hunting. Given the unfocussed vague silly question Im not surprised

Yes, there are lots of jobs out there. However, there are significantly more people looking for work than there are positions available. If that wasn't the case we wouldn't have the unemployment levels that we have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

That's pure bad form. It's only luck, after the obvious need for perseverance (or since this is Ireland - nepotism), that at the end of the day will determine someone getting a job in this climate.
    You're only lashing out at people that for the most part haven't caught a break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I've been job hunting for months and I've sent out countless CVs. It's very annoying how they want heaps of experience when you can't even get your foot in the door to try and gain it!

If I was you I would volunteer somewhere (after failing extensive job hunting obviously) and once a position becomes available I'm sure you will be taken on because they would know you and could trust you. It's a bit of a gamble though if they take you for an unpaid ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭purplepapillon

In same position as you goose1. I'm applying for everything and anything, even "mickey mouse" jobs as one poster calls them. Problem is with these ones in retail, cafés etc. they want someone who will stay with them for the next year or two, typically someone who is finished school, in an undergrad course or someone on a student working visa. I've been told by friends to take my "professional" work experience off my CV and just leave jobs I've had in cafés, retail and so on. Maybe you will have better luck this way. Best of luck to you!

You are living in your own bubble mate.
    Don't tell me, you are currently employed, right?

You say to the op that he is not trying hard enough... but quite frankly what do you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

You say to the op that he is not trying hard enough... but quite frankly what do you know?

My sister always tells me there are plenty of jobs out there yeah right until she started looking for jobs herself because of how bad her work had become.

Now she realises words are cheap and it's easier said than done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Fcuk all by the sounds of it.

Advertisement