Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV Points in each but nothing in attic...

• 03-07-2012 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

As above suggests I have TV points in each room but the wires in the attic are connected to nothing. What am I missing because UPC said they will just send a modem box over to me and all I do is connect the modem box to the TV points in any room and BOOM i get the stations, Is that right?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Your tv points have been run to the attic so you can place a distribution amplifier up there.

Where is your main incoming UPC point? this is where your cable modem should go.

You can also "patch" one of the cable runs from the main UPC point up to the attic to feed the amplifier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 valhallabob

Your tv points have been run to the attic so you can place a distribution amplifier up there.

Where is your main incoming UPC point? this is where your cable modem should go.

You can also "patch" one of the cable runs from the main UPC point up to the attic to feed the amplifier.

Dont have a main UPC point because its the first time any UPC connection will be connected, I got my house rewired recently and all the TV points cables go into the attic so I never had UPC or eircom before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

You'll need to get UPC to install a cable if you want to use UPC to broadband/tv.

The UPC technician will put this point beside your main tv. You connect your modem here.

You'll need to get UPC to install a cable if you want to use UPC to broadband/tv.

The UPC technician will put this point beside your main tv. You connect your modem here.
    Cheers,

I have a connection plate with two coax sockets in the main room where the TV will go but again the wires of this socket goes straight into the attic, am I right in thinking I will need a UPC box or something like the amplifier you mentioned in the attic that all the cables plug into?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,532 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Cheers,

I have a connection plate with two coax sockets in the main room where the TV will go but again the wires of this socket goes straight into the attic, am I right in thinking I will need a UPC box or something like the amplifier you mentioned in the attic that all the cables plug into?

UPC will run the cable from the street into your attic and if necessary will replace the wall boxes. When I was getting reconnected a few years ago, the Polish lads (in a plain white van, obviously contractors) replaced all three wall boxes when I asked them to, even though at the time I was only signing up for one digital box.

Do you have a splitter box in the attic i.e. will UPC be able to connect a cable straight into a distribution box? I'm not sure if UPC will supply a splitter if you simply have the cables terminating separately in the attic. If you have up to three points in the house you probably won't need a booster, it might be more these days with the upgraded network. The TV socket on one of the points can feed a digital TV box and the BB router, they will install a splitter and all the cables you need for this if you're getting broadband.

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »
    UPC will run the cable from the street into your attic and if necessary will replace the wall boxes. When I was getting reconnected a few years ago, the Polish lads (in a plain white van, obviously contractors) replaced all three wall boxes when I asked them to, even though at the time I was only signing up for one digital box.

Do you have a splitter box in the attic i.e. will UPC be able to connect a cable straight into a distribution box? I'm not sure if UPC will supply a splitter if you simply have the cables terminating separately in the attic. If you have up to three points in the house you probably won't need a booster, it might be more these days with the upgraded network. The TV socket on one of the points can feed a digital TV box and the BB router, they will install a splitter and all the cables you need for this if you're getting broadband.

No splitter box in the attic just a bunch of cables from all the tv points rolled up in a ball sitting up in the attic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

No splitter box in the attic just a bunch of cables from all the tv points rolled up in a ball sitting up in the attic

I'm guessing you checked self install on the checkout. You will have to inform UPC and they will send an engineer out who will connect the cable from the street and the cables in the attic to a splitter which will allow you get signal.

They will charge you for this though.

Advertisement