Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Car Insurance Question

Options
  • 03-07-2012 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I recently changed my insurance company and rang my old company to cancel the old policy. They told me to send in the certificate of insurance and the disc. Just wondering is it standard practice to send these by registered post, as if they got lost in the post somehow, could they refuse to cancel my policy?

Secondly i got a letter from my new company with a gap letter inclosed. What exactly is this and why do i have to fill it out? It asks for my old policy number and to sign to state i have not held any other insurance policy or any claims in "the following period." Would it be correct to say I should not send this in until i have confirmation that my old policy is cancelled?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Degag wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I recently changed my insurance company and rang my old company to cancel the old policy. They told me to send in the certificate of insurance and the disc. Just wondering is it standard practice to send these by registered post, as if they got lost in the post somehow, could they refuse to cancel my policy?

Secondly i got a letter from my new company with a gap letter inclosed. What exactly is this and why do i have to fill it out? It asks for my old policy number and to sign to state i have not held any other insurance policy or any claims in "the following period." Would it be correct to say I should not send this in until i have confirmation that my old policy is cancelled?

For the first part, if they have an office you can usually drop the old disc in there. I've done that with axa in Dublin before. I'd imagine it's not the end of the world if you didn't send it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,435 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

For the first part, if they have an office you can usually drop the old disc in there. I've done that with axa in Dublin before. I'd imagine it's not the end of the world if you didn't send it either.

That is not good advice. The OP will be expecting some kind of pro rata refund on the premium he paid for the policy he is cancelling. If he checks the Ts & Cs of his policy it will clearly say that they will not terminate the policy until the cert. and disc are returned so it's in his interest to send them back because the clock will keep running until he does and the refund will be smaller the longer he leaves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

is it standard practice to send these by registered post
    Last time I sent it regular post and got lucky.
    with a gap letter inclosed. What exactly is this (...)? It asks for my old policy number and to sign to state i have not held any other insurance policy or any claims in "the following period."
    That's exactly what it is. A confirmation that within those few days you had no claims with previous insurer that would invalidate insurance conditions with new insurer.
    Would it be correct to say I should not send this in until i have confirmation that my old policy is cancelled?
    You don't need a confirmation of cancellation. Just make sure you remain "claim free".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

If you send by regular post and it isn't received then you will have to fill in a "Lost Cert Declaration" before they will cancel the policy.

They want to know why there is a gap in your cover. ie: Gap for two weeks in June/July whenever.

With respect to your second query. I personally wouldn't send the same in until my policy has been cancelled.

I really think you need to pick up the phone though and discuss this with your new insurer and make them aware of what you're doing.

Advertisement