Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reporting a Hacker

• 03-07-2012 11:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,A few months ago my Xbox live account was hacked,I tried to login in and it said i was signed in on another console,I went online to reset my password and i did reset it,While i was resetting it i did find a new email added to my Reset info,i googled this email and found it was a guy who Steals and sells Accounts and Info,i never reported this to Microsoft as i was just relived to have my account back.
    then about a month later my PC started acting up,Saying my Antiviruses where turned off,mouse moved by its self and stuff,Im good enough with computers to know that this was a RAT,I scan with 4 AVs and found a Java trojan i removed that and also Formatted my Hardrive and reinstalled windows.My pc is Perfect now with no problems at all,Every now and then when im bored i google the hackers Email to see what he is selling,Today i found his youtube and i know what he looks like (He sounds out of his head on something and looks about 17)
    I was just wondering if i can report him or is it too late now that i have removed everything to do with him from my Internet life.
    Ps Yes i did change all passwords and reset options to all my accounts after the virus was gone :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

You could still report him but I don't see any gain. Microsoft already know about this and theres nothing they can do because there is no hacking invloved. Those people are using scams to get people to give them their passwords, xbox live accounts in general are dificult to hack or crack, it would be all over the internet if they were. The easiest way to get control of an account is to try to reset the password using the security question, many people choose mothers birthplace as the question and there are only really about 5 answers that are used nearly all the time. Back when everyone used Windows Live Messenger some people use to steal accounts by just sticking Dublin in as the answer, it used to always work.

The other option is the gaurds, but you suffered no loss, so there is no laws broken and the gaurds probably have no power to do anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Digy123

GarIT wrote: »
    You could still report him but I don't see any gain. Microsoft already know about this and theres nothing they can do because there is no hacking invloved. Those people are using scams to get people to give them their passwords, xbox live accounts have never been hacked or cracked as of yet.

The other option is the gaurds, but you suffered no loss, so there is no laws broken and the gaurds probably have no power to do anything.

Really? It really annoys me that He can still get away with it
    Also guys is there a way people here can verify that the RAT is really gone im allmost 100% Sure it is but any way to verify it AV says there is nothing there and there is no strange activity at all,But any chance the Rat might be dormant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Digy123

GarIT wrote: »
    You could still report him but I don't see any gain. Microsoft already know about this and theres nothing they can do because there is no hacking invloved. Those people are using scams to get people to give them their passwords, xbox live accounts have never been hacked or cracked as of yet.

Also wouldnt the invasion of my internet privicy be a Law broken?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

There possibly was a law broken but all they can say is prove it. I didn't know there was such a law. You got your account back and nothing was taken from you, its likely none of your information was recorded so they probably wont care. Theft can't apply because you suffered no loss (they will not attribute any value to an account unless a subscription, credits or money was stolen), Data Protection can't apply becuase nothing would have been recorded.

Also I'm 99% sure you gave them your password or you had a simple security question, so they didn't actually break into your account, you let them in. The common scam is a thing going around facebook, where you click a link to get 100 microsoft points or 1 months subscription free, and sign into a site that looks identical to signing into your windows live account but its not windows live, it tells you that you will get your points in 90 days then kicks you back to facebook, while all this has been happening your information was sent to whoever hosts the webpage.

If you formatted your Hard Drive it is impossible that any virus could still be present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 ICCM

Digy123 wrote: »
    Also wouldnt the invasion of my internet privicy be a Law broken?

It defintely sounds like this person is breaking the law, your main difficulty will be that there is so much of this type of thing nowadays that the guards only seem to investigate major incidences, you can report it at your local garda station

• Advertisement
Advertisement