Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coast Guard v RNLI

• 03-07-2012 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

Whats the point of having the three organizations? (including the navy of course)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

I agree.

What was the point in the lifeboat going down to the Fastnet when the volvo boats were sailing past? How much worth of fuel did they waste?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

Ned_led16 wrote: »
    Whats the point of having the three organizations? (including the navy of course)
    That's like asking 'why be a farmer when ya have a field?'

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Because the Irish State won't pay for a dedicated seagoing emergency service. Hence we have the RNLI (and are incredibly lucky to have them).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

In my view there is no v's they each have a vital role to play be it on their own or working as a unit as was the case with the loss of two local fisher men David and Ronan last year, the navy was the centre hub and control station for this huge search with the RNLI working the off shore coastline and the coastguard on the shoreline and in the air.The coastguard are government funded to a point and where setup to protect the coastline from smugglers and tax evaders , later they were given permission to help the RNLI if life was in danger, the RNLI is a charity that depends on donations to keep it going. The navy also government funded have a few quid to spend so they would have the biggest and best sonar equipment, diving equipment and so on.

There is one big organisation and they are the volunteers these are the main workforce behind it all and at times do the hardest jobs that you may not even think about in a search, after spending a few days last year with the volunteer coastguard trying to walk a rocky coastline day after day at low tide "not easy and quite painful" looking for anything under the seaweed and rocks that could be brought back to the family be it a wallet or any personal belonging, thank God these guy's bodies were found but thats not always the case and sometimes the smallest find can bring the greatest comfort.
    I know if I was lost at sea I and my family would want all 3 looking for me.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Because the Irish State won't pay for a dedicated seagoing emergency service. Hence we have the RNLI (and are incredibly lucky to have them).

The Irish state is willing to pay for a dedicated service but why pay for something which you currently get for free? Also don't forget that the RNLI is older than the state and is highly capable. A number of boats have been funded by the state in areas that the RNLI is unable to cover. It's also worth pointing out that the RNLI can't always do search and recovery as their remit is to save lifes at sea. Each of the organisations has it's own area of expertise which compliment each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Ned_led16

hytrogen wrote: »
    That's like asking 'why be a farmer when ya have a field?'

Hytrogen you are a troll.
    I think its great that we have all three organizations - i was merely curious as to where the distinction of power lies. Its not so clear what the role of each institution is. I am still not clear on the difference between customs and navy?

Also surely some members of the RNLI are paid - i know the volunteers get a couple of euro for each call which goes into a kitty for the social club. But do senior MGt get a wage?
    In 2011, the RNLI's income was £162.9M, while its expenditure was £140.6M.[5]organization. There a very wealthy organization owned by the English Royal family.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Also surely some members of the RNLI paid - i know the volunteers get a couple of euro for each call which goes into a kitty for the social club. But do senior MGt get a wage?
    In 2011, the RNLI's income was £162.9M, while its expenditure was £140.6M.[5]organization. There a very wealthy organization owned by the English royal family.

Yes, there are quite a few people on the payroll with the RNLI. When you consider the value of assets they control, it makes sense to have dedicated and qualified people overseeing them and the wider operation.

I'm lost as to why you think the royal family own the RNLI? It's a charity like any other. They have a massive income (and huge expenditure) annually but as I heard one of their senior members say; they plan for the day money stops coming in and how they will continue in that situation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_National_Lifeboat_Institution
    Royal National Lifeboat Institution?
    Royal Patronage!

Chief Executive of the RNLI Rear Admiral Paul Boissier
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Boissier_(Royal_Navy_officer)
    In retirement he became Chief Executive of the Royal National Lifeboat Institution.[2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Customs patrol to search for smuggling etc.
    Naval vessels mainly do Fishery protection work but also co-ordinate search and rescue on site as in the Union Hall tragedy and carry out SAR missions.
    Coast Guard do SAR and Cliff rescue if necessary as well as Shoreline searches.
    RNLI do SAR.
    Volunteers take over the rest of the slack
    If you look at the waters the Irish state has in the EEZ then its amazing that there isn't more invested in the Marine such as dedicated Oil pollution vessel, all weather customs vessels(the ones we have now are very small)
    Royal Patronage means that they are supported by the royal family not owned!
    In any case they spend a lot on infrastructure and vessels here, and there are plenty of people that are very grateful for their presence in this country.
    They are currently building a brand new lifeboat station in Castletownbere for instance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_National_Lifeboat_Institution
    Royal National Lifeboat Institution?
    Royal Patronage!

Chief Executive of the RNLI Rear Admiral Paul Boissier
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Boissier_(Royal_Navy_officer)
    In retirement he became Chief Executive of the Royal National Lifeboat Institution.[2

Patronage (from wikipedia)
    Charity

Charitable and other non-profit making organisations often seek an influential figurehead to act as patron. The relationship often does not involve money. As well as conferring credibility, these people can use their contacts and charisma to assist the organisation to raise funds or to affect government policy. The British Royal Family are especially prolific in this respect, devoting a large proportion of their time to a wide range of causes.

So they don't own it, they're just a figurehead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭neris

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Yes, there are quite a few people on the payroll with the RNLI. When you consider the value of assets they control, it makes sense to have dedicated and qualified people overseeing them and the wider operation.

I'm lost as to why you think the royal family own the RNLI? It's a charity like any other. They have a massive income (and huge expenditure) annually but as I heard one of their senior members say; they plan for the day money stops coming in and how they will continue in that situation.

theres alot of people on the rnli payroll in various different departments. its quite a big organisation as its not just a boat and fundraising. they design and develop alot of their boats etc in house and then theres a huge charity fundraising support aswell. if anyones in poole they should take a trip down just to see the size of their head office and training centre. its quite impressive.

all stations with all weather lifeboats have a full time mechanic and some of the coxs get paid retainers.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭GFish

Also surely some members of the RNLI are paid - i know the volunteers get a couple of euro for each call which goes into a kitty for the social club. But do senior MGt get a wage?
    In 2011, the RNLI's income was £162.9M, while its expenditure was £140.6M.[5]organization. There a very wealthy organization owned by the English Royal family.

What's your angle Ned?

It sounds like you have more than a passing interest so I'm interested in your point but I'm struggling to understand what it is.

Spell it out a bit more please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

Was thinking of doing some work experience with RNLI, my main reason behind it was I was hoping it will be something different than washing windows and making tea :P Or do you think it will be just the same? (obviously I know I'm not going to be going out on calls)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Brad768 wrote: »
    Was thinking of doing some work experience with RNLI, my main reason behind it was I was hoping it will be something different than washing windows and making tea :P Or do you think it will be just the same? (obviously I know I'm not going to be going out on calls)

Have a read of this it might inspire you http://www.commissionersofirishlights.com/cil/publications/beam-magazines/volume-39/volunteering-for-the-rnli.aspx you could also have a look at the coast guard http://www.transport.ie/marine/IRCG/VolResTeams/index.asp?lang=ENG&loc=2112 I think the navy are alright for volunteers :D

GFish wrote: »
    What's your angle Ned?

It sounds like you have more than a passing interest so I'm interested in your point but I'm struggling to understand what it is.

Spell it out a bit more please.

Quite simple i wondered about them thats all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

fergal.b wrote: »
    Have a read of this it might inspire you http://www.commissionersofirishlights.com/cil/publications/beam-magazines/volume-39/volunteering-for-the-rnli.aspx you could also have a look at the coast guard http://www.transport.ie/marine/IRCG/VolResTeams/index.asp?lang=ENG&loc=2112 I think the navy are alright for volunteers :D

Will have a read, thank you

Some interesting RNLI statistics.

208994_10151091852015159_896038692_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I've friends in the RNLI in Wexford.

The RNLI has a royal charter but is 100% charity, they have a policy of not taking state money so that way they are 100% independent.

They are embedded in the local community and run volunteers. They have two roles search and rescue, they do their best to save lives and will do all they can to find somebody should the worst happen they go beyond the extra mile

They have many kinds of boats from ribs to full on go anywhere off shore boats. You can't ask people to go to sea badly trained in a bath tub (except for the annual raft race) To keep it all going they have professional designer, trainers and mechanics and need to raise a lot of money.

We should be thankful for them to trolling on line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭neris

Brad768 wrote: »

Im sure the rnli stations dont take people on work experience, i think only the regional base and fundraising offices in dublin will do work experience

Spacehopper i would hope that we are all thankful for the great job they do thats for sure! its a great service ..... not much more to say really except thanks i understand a bit more now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 oceanfroggie

Don't be confused with the term CG as applied in the USA. There it is a statutory arm of the state policing infrastructure. Here the term CG relates to three separate SAR bodies. MRCC, IRCG and CG heli SAR.

There is no RNLI v IRCG. Like the UK there is and was no state funded rescue service of boats and crews covering the entire coastline, only state finder air, naval SAR and state founder rescue coordination centres, in our case MRCC. So communities around the coast formed their own rescue crews over centuries which evolved into the volunteer service RNLI.

RNLI, CG CUs and CG heli SAR are separate entities, but all designated rescue assets under the coordination of MRCC/IRCG. RNLI and CG CUs are manned by volunteers. In terms of vessels and crew the CG CU fleet is tiny compared to the number of RNLI vessels and comprehensive coverage around the coast. RNLI only SAR service with AWLB. IRCG have only inshore ribs (CG CUs). IRCG also has a land based role overlapping with mountain rescue role along our rocky coastline and cliffs (eg cliff and walking casulaties). INS (naval service) can also be tasked as SAR resource for major ops, but it's mandate is primarily EU and Irish law enforcement, EU fishery protection and EU drugs interdiction. There could be some merit in merging the air corps and INS into a unified military CG policing role much like the US, but the state could never afford to replace the coverage provided by RNLI AWLB and ILB fleets and volunteer crews. Same for many other EU maritime nations.

RNLI crews used to be primarily composed of volunteers from local fishing and maritime communities (ie professional fishermen and trawler crews), but in recent years more local folk without a professional maritime involvement volunteer including recreational sailors and boaters. The RNLI operation in Ireland is a fabulous institution managed here, crewed here and run by Irish people with a civic spirit. We are lucky to have them.

Lough Ree has just had an RNLI inland ILB based near Athlone. Lough Derg has an ILB based in Dromineer since 2004. There is also an CG CU boat based in Killaloe. You might say why two units on Derg, but Derg by far has the most inland leisure boat traffic in these islands.

Ireland as an island nation with a diverse maritime history has one of the best combined network of SAR assets in the developed world. RNLI, IRCG, CG CUs, MRCC, CG Heli SAR, INS, Garda water unit, local mountain rescue units, local civil defence units, community rescue services, sub aqua clubs, etc.

Well said oceanfroggie,and welcome to the forum it's a pleasure to have you onboard ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

MRCC is no longer around. Someone has deemed it be be called National Maritime Operations Centre(NMOC). It does the same as MRCC but also cover pollution etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ExCrew

Unfortunatly the RNLI waste a lot of the money they have, most of which was raised by wellmeaning fundraisers, or came from legacys

Advertisement