Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barking Mad

• 03-07-2012 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭

Ok first off, I love animals (with the exception of cats - which isn't very relevant to this thread)
    Anyway, I live in a nice cul de sac, friendly neighbours etc but why must their dogs bark all through the night! Its driving me insane.
    These dogs barely whimper during the day but once night falls they begin to converse with one another.
    Im very close to buying a pellet gun, just have to decide who to shot, the dogs or the owners.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭RB94

Sounds like you've had a ruff few nights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

<hilarious dog pun>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Dean09 wrote: »
    <hilarious dog pun>

OMG LEL SO FUNNI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

A pellet gun won't do any damage, what you want is a good oul length of wavin pipe, give 'em a few flakes on the back of the legs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Dogs are generally more annoying animals than cats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Give them a few bars of chocolate.

Dogs love chocolate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

if this was Korea you'd be having these dogs for dinner tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

There's a thing you can get that looks like a birdhouse, and emits high frequency sounds when dogs bark, so the dogs get trained not to bark.
    I know how u feel though, my old neighbour used to have a really loud dog, then he got a cockrel.. in the city. Inconsiderate dzope

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Get a recording of a big male Lion shouting for his hole. Play it at midnight full belt on the sound system. Queue several spontaneos dog poos and a nights silence.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Dogs are generally more annoying animals than cats.
    True unless you'r cursed with a tomcat in full heat and voice at 3 in the morning. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

blacklilly wrote: »
    Ok first off, I love animals (with the exception of cats)

this you isn't it? ;)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 250 ✭✭DuPLeX

as an animal lover who has both cats and dogs I can tell you now why those dogs are barking at night .
    the answer is .......
    wait for it .........
    Cats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Hurting them will achieve nothing. They'll just wonder why the hell someone is hurting them for 'having a chat'.

Think of it like this OP. You're sitting in McDonalds, you take a bite of your cheese burger and a giant hook rips through your face and yanks you up into another dimension where you can't breathe...

hang on.. that's about fish but you catch my drift don't ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Ask them to have the dogs put down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Bark back at 'em. Dogs are pack animals and you need to assert your dominance as leader.

Or else go around there with a hoover. Dogs are afraid of hoovers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I have a dog who is the worst for howling and barking late at night/early in the morning. She's seriosuly terrible for it, she emits these ear-splitting shrieks at some unknown threat and can go on for easily up to an hour if left to her own devices. I try to stop her when I'm at home, I go out and literally drag her back inside but my parents are much more lenient with her, they keep late hours so let her out to pee in the garden at 11/12 at night and she goes absolutely ballistic. This really pisses me off as generally I have to be in bed at 10/11 if I've to be up early the next morning so I can't put her to bed as they only let her out later for fear she'll pee on the floor inside. I've been woken up so many nights by her howling right outside my window. At the weekends when I do get a lie-in I am always woken up by her screeching outside after her breakfast. It does my nut and as much as I complain, my parents wont put her to bed any earlier. I really feel sorry for the neighbours, at least I get to cuddle and play with the dog when she's behaving herself, all the neighbours get is a bad night's sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Lure them into your house and let him bark away. When the owner comes to complain about the noise apologies and shoot the dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Everyone on the internet likes cats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

LordSmeg wrote: »
    Lure them into your house and let him bark away. When the owner comes to complain about the noise apologies and shoot the dog.

I laughed...I just have this mental image of a guy with a shotgun...'Oh the dogs are barking, sorry about that'...BANG!...See ya now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Wibbs wrote: »
    True unless you'r cursed with a tomcat in full heat and voice at 3 in the morning. :D

One of the most horrific sounds you can hear - sounds like a cross between a rape & a murder

OP - An anonymous letter posted, politely asking them to consider their neighbours will most likely sort it.

Post it to them if you don't want to risk being seen, most normal people would be mortified if they thought they were disturbing their neighbours like that, they are probable just immune to the barking themselves.

Failing that knock on the door and ask them face to face to be more considerate, they'd want to be right pricks not to do something about it after the letter though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Spread the contents of a few jars of mustard (about a dozen should do it) around the pavement of your cul de sac before you go to bed every night.

Dogs hate mustard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Lapin wrote: »
    Dogs hate mustard.

Ceptin for hot dawgs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Ceptin for hot dawgs.

mmmmmm.....hot dogs!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

FYI when dogs do that their are forming a pack. As long as their locked up you should be happy because if they were free they will be mugging you and selling drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

DuPLeX wrote: »
    as an animal lover who has both cats and dogs I can tell you now why those dogs are barking at night .
    the answer is .......
    wait for it .........
    Cats

See I knew there was a reason why I didn't like cats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Wibbs wrote: »

Except tom cats dont come in heat, no uterus in them the last time I checked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

Victor_M wrote: »
    One of the most horrific sounds you can hear - sounds like a cross between a rape & a murder

OP - An anonymous letter posted, politely asking them to consider their neighbours will most likely sort it.

Post it to them if you don't want to risk being seen, most normal people would be mortified if they thought they were disturbing their neighbours like that, they are probable just immune to the barking themselves.

Failing that knock on the door and ask them face to face to be more considerate, they'd want to be right pricks not to do something about it after the letter though.

A few months back in my neighbourhood a dog began barking and whining all day long (I'm at home sick it nearly drove me insane!) Began at 8.15 a.m. and stopped at around 5 p.m.
    Problem was I didn't know what house the dog lived in; I knew it was a house behind me but as my house backs onto a river with lots of tress so I had a problem pinpointing which house it was.
    So, I sent letters to a couple of houses asking if it was their dog could they kindly do something about the noise and also apologising if I had the wrong house. Couple of days later the barking stopped. I included my name and phone number as I hadn't done anything wrong so didn't feel the need to hide behind an anonymous letter.*

In my case I think the neighbours were out at work all day and were genuinely ignorant of the dog's barking but it amazes me when dog owners are in the house and don't seem to hear it. I think it's so selfish to get a dog and expect everyone else to suffer because of it.

*A friend of mine ended up in court due to her dog barking when she was out at work. The judge told her to get rid of the dog. Proper order too-not fair on the neighbours or the poor dog left alone all day...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Hurting them will achieve nothing. They'll just wonder why the hell someone is hurting them for 'having a chat'.

Think of it like this OP. You're sitting in McDonalds, you take a bite of your cheese burger and a giant hook rips through your face and yanks you up into another dimension where you can't breathe...

hang on.. that's about fish but you catch my drift don't ya?

Bet you'd stop going to McDonald's though

• Advertisement
Advertisement