Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New televisions have no scart ports

Options
  • 04-07-2012 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

I am a bit of starter with this stuff, so forgive me if the question is too basic. I have done some lengthy research to upgrade my tv and have decided to buy Samsung HD 3D wifi 46, 50 or 55" tv. It seems that it has 4 hdmi ports and no scart port. Having contacted Samsung about this they say it does come with a Scart adaptor that is inserted into the HDMI port so you can connect a Scart cable. This is ok if there is only one piece of equipment with scart only connection.
    I have a Sky+ HD box which has a hdmi lead but also have two older freeview (spanish tv) receivers that only have scart leads. What would be the best way to connect these older boxes to the new tv. I have seen scart splitters and automatic scart switch boxes for sale on Amazon & Ebay, would they do the job?
    Many thanks for any help:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 RonnieWhelan

flipsat wrote: »
    I am a bit of starter with this stuff, so forgive me if the question is too basic. I have done some lengthy research to upgrade my tv and have decided to buy Samsung HD 3D wifi 46, 50 or 55" tv. It seems that it has 4 hdmi ports and no scart port. Having contacted Samsung about this they say it does come with a Scart adaptor that is inserted into the HDMI port so you can connect a Scart cable. This is ok if there is only one piece of equipment with scart only connection.
    I have a Sky+ HD box which has a hdmi lead but also have two older freeview (spanish tv) receivers that only have scart leads. What would be the best way to connect these older boxes to the new tv. I have seen scart splitters and automatic scart switch boxes for sale on Amazon & Ebay, would they do the job?
    Many thanks for any help:

Scart to hdmi converter?

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/SCART-HDMI-CONVERTER-UPSCALE-SKY-Wii-DVD-1080p-HD-/221003729138?pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item3374d948f2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭andy1249

Having contacted Samsung about this they say it does come with a Scart adaptor that is inserted into the HDMI port so you can connect a Scart cable.

A little bit of misinformation there , that connector is a proprietary analog connector , not a hdmi connector , there is no analog to HDMI conversion going on within samsung sets.

Beware of information collected from ringing tech support lines , those people are reading off cue cards or making it up as they go along.
    The manual for the set clearly shows this connector as a proprietary analog connector and not a HDMI connector.

A good scart switch and this single connector is what you are going to need if you want to use older analog equipment with your set.

Scart connectors are big and bulky , and with the current trend for consumers wanting wafer thin wall mountable sets , scart as an interface is dying out pretty fast. Dont expect it to be around much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭flipsat

Thank you for replies, I agree support line solutions are usually rubbish that was why I wanted better info from this site. I am now thinking it might be better to bite the bullet and replace my two receivers with newer ones than spending money on converters etc. The existing receivers are Technomate 1000 Receiver 70cm fixed dish Hispasat 30w Humax C1 5400 receiver 70 cm fixed dish Astra 19degrees. These were bought some years ago so would value advice on what to get now and where from if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭flipsat

flipsat wrote: »
    Thank you for replies, I agree support line solutions are usually rubbish that was why I wanted better info from this site. I am now thinking it might be better to bite the bullet and replace my two receivers with newer ones than spending money on converters etc. The existing receivers are Technomate 1000 Receiver 70cm fixed dish Hispasat 30w Humax C1 5400 receiver 70 cm fixed dish Astra 19degrees. These were bought some years ago so would value advice on what to get now and where from if possible.
    I may have posted the above in the wrong site, please move or advise

Advertisement