Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dawn of War Gold - Text is Tiny!

Options
  • 04-07-2012 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭

I got dawn of war gold edition on steam on my laptop (Windows 7) and everything works fine except the text is absolutely tiny and no changing of graphics settings makes a difference.
    I have a ATI HD5870 and have tried disabling catalyst A.I in the catalyst control centre (a fix I saw online for other text related issues) but no luck. Anyone else have this issue and/or know of a fix?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Nobody has any help for me? Guess I'm going to have to get used to looking like Leonardo diCaprio while playing the game. :pac:

tumblr_lbnnuyzsVz1qc4j0a.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Might be worth hitting the Steam forums, they'd know more there. I can't even launch DoW on my machine via steam, it constantly acts the dick and crashes.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but this is something that has really bothered me lately; a lot of games seem to use text that only those on widescreen HD tvs can read. For those of us playing on normal CRT TVs, they're almost impossible to decipher. I remember Dead Space's map system being diabolical for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I would say off hand are you playing the game at a very high resolution ?

Just remember dawn of war is old now and screen resolution would of been a lot less then , maybe turn the resolution down in the ingame settings or else live with tiny text.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Just remember dawn of war is old now and screen resolution would of been a lot less then , maybe turn the resolution down in the ingame settings or else live with tiny text.

It's nearly a decade old so it's going look tiny on your ultra high resolution screen.

• Advertisement

grizzly wrote: »
    It's nearly a decade old so it's going look tiny on your ultra high resolution screen.
    ya thats what im saying, he needs to lower the resolution in game :confused:

Changing the resolution doesn't change the size of the text at all. Even changing the resolution on the desktop before turning on the game doesn't make a difference.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but this is something that has really bothered me lately; a lot of games seem to use text that only those on widescreen HD tvs can read. For those of us playing on normal CRT TVs, they're almost impossible to decipher. I remember Dead Space's map system being diabolical for this.

Dead Rising on the xbox had this problem too.

Changing the resolution doesn't change the size of the text at all. Even changing the resolution on the desktop before turning on the game doesn't make a difference.
    Just chalk it down to the joys of resurrecting older games so, but honestly check the steam forums and do some google searches its how i solve most fiddly problems with games.

Just chalk it down to the joys of resurrecting older games so, but honestly check the steam forums and do some google searches its how i solve most fiddly problems with games.

Me too, but there's very few topics on the problem anywhere about this problem(and most of what I found had no responses to them). I put a thread on the steam forums as well. Was hoping somebody here had encountered it.

• Advertisement

Me too, but there's very few topics on the problem anywhere about this problem(and most of what I found had no responses to them). I put a thread on the seam forums as well. Was hoping somebody here had encountered it.
    Ya thats a little gripe of mine with steam and some of the companies at the moment , kudos for keeping some of the older games available as they are class, but they are doing very little support work to follow it up. Lets be fair every copy of these games they sell at this stage is nothing but gravy to the company so a few responses on the forums would be nice.

They should make companies have their own troubleshooting rep on the steam forums im not sure if they do this yet but it would be a great thing to have as a condition of selling your game on steam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's not the games age. I play it at high res and don't have the text problem, though I do remember it cropping up in the past I just can't remember what the problem/solution was. It used to support Widescreen at one stage, but then they removed it again for reasons unknown, did the last patch support widescreen? Can't remember now....

I managed to take a screenshot to demonstrate the problem (picture is linked because its fairly big).

Its the same situation in Winter Assault and Dark Crusade too.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Hate to break it to ya buddy, but its meant to be like that....you may need glasses.

DOW was released when 1920 or 1650 panels werent mainstream, so text would have displayed slightly larger at the lower resolutions, but now its slightly smaller.

ED E wrote: »
    Hate to break it to ya buddy, but its meant to be like that....you may need glasses.

DOW was released when 1920 or 1650 panels werent mainstream, so text would have displayed slightly larger at the lower resolutions, but now its slightly smaller.

I know the text is small but look at my image again and then look at images on google search for DoW . My text is quite a bit smaller than its supposed to be, maybe about half the intended size and changing resolution, in game or otherwise, doesn't make any difference.

PS: I already wear glasses and...
    18181a33_GogglesDoNothing.jpeg

Checked mine, its identical. DoW is actually retarded in that you cant change bindings, so every time I went to screeny it for you I got the diplomacy menu, and changing the screener key meant rebooting steam.

The online images are from early releases of DoW, its been updated since then. dealwithit.jpg

Checked mine, its identical. DoW is actually retarded in that you cant change bindings, so every time I went to screeny it for you I got the diplomacy menu, and changing the screener key meant rebooting steam.

With mine, when I pressd printscreen and opened paint or whatever to paste it, I kept getting the desktop. Turns out that screenshots of the actual game are put in the steam/steamapps/common/DoW folder. Does your text change size at all when you change resolution?
    The online images are from early releases of DoW, its been updated since then. dealwithit.jpg

Well that's a pain in the ass.

With mine, when I pressd printscreen and opened paint or whatever to paste it, I kept getting the desktop.

Printscreen cant grab a from within directx.

Advertisement