Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How your tv lies to you...

• 04-07-2012 1:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭

Found this quite interesting -

http://deadspin.com/5923264/sorry-mario-balotelli-didnt-really-make-this-german-fan-cry-how-tv-lied-to-you-during-euro-2012
    Sorry, Mario Balotelli Didn’t Really Make This German Fan Cry: How TV Lied To You During Euro 2012

In the 36th minute of the Euro 2012 semifinal, Mario Balotelli scored his second goal, a screamer to the top right corner. Balotelli ripped off his jersey and flexed, and the telecast cut to a woman in the stands, a German flag painted on her cheek, a single tear leaking from her eye.

"It's too early for tears," intoned ESPN's Adrian Healey, calling the action. And it was. The German newspaper Süddeutsche Zeitung talked to the tearful woman: Her name was Andrea, she came from Dusseldorf, and she was surprised when she started getting texts from friends asking why she'd started crying with nearly an hour of play remaining. She hadn't, Andrea told them.

Instead, she said, she had been overcome with emotion during the playing of the national anthems, before the match kicked off. A camera recorded her then, and the footage was inserted into live TV later on, at the moment it would have the most impact. The emotional power of sport, on cue.

Don't blame Healey or ESPN. They didn't know, nor did ARD, the German network airing the match, nor did ZDF or SVT, or any of the other hundreds of channels that had won the regional broadcasting rights around the world. They merely aired the streaming live signal from UEFA—which on multiple occasions goosed the live footage by adding prerecorded shots, with zero acknowledgement.

On June 13, during of Germany's group stage match against the Netherlands, cameras found German manager Joachim Löw sneaking up behind a ballboy and poking the ball from his grip. A humanizing moment in the middle of a tense game. Except it happened during warm-ups, well before the match, and was dropped in to make it appear live.

Click the link for the rest.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Surprised to say I'm not surprised!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Ah yeah I'd say they're sneaky like that, alright. For them it's all about the 'story'.

Wonder if the footage of that Irish fan crying in one of the matches was recorded earlier when he heard the squad list and Paul Green's name read out. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Ah yeah I'd say they're sneaky like that, alright. For them it's all about the 'story'.

Wonder if the footage of that Irish fan crying in one of the matches was recorded earlier when he heard the squad list and Paul Green's name read out. :pac:

I think me might be the worst ever player to score a goal for Ireland. How he got on the plane is a mystery to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Could be worse. God knows what type of edits North Korean viewers were subjected to in 2010 :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Could be worse. God knows what type of edits North Korean viewers were subjected to in 2010 :pac:

:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Ironic that they're so against goal line technology when they've just used it for their own purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

The now well known vid of that female Russian fan shyly smiling into the camera is another one I find dubious. I'm guessing that wasn't live either considering it was shown seconds after the Czech Rep scored. So either it was from earlier on or she wasn't particularly pushed about what was going on in the game at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

kitakyushu wrote: »
    The now well known vid of that female Russian fan shyly smiling into the camera is another one I find dubious. I'm guessing that wasn't live either considering it was shown seconds after the Czech Rep scored. So either it was from earlier on or she wasn't particularly pushed about what was going on in the game at the time.

Plausible. Attention > Football

Advertisement