Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

info on solar panel performance during dull June

• 04-07-2012 8:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭

Ireland has had the dullest June on record, with less than 50% average sunshine in some areas. I'm curious as to how people's solar panels have performed over the month. Has there been a need to use supplementary heating? or have panels been able to supply all the households hot water needs?
    Thanks Wazzo.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Almost managed.
    Family of 5 with daily bath and showers washing up etc.
    6sqm flat plate feeding 500l store.

June sunshine here was 124hrs.
    You can view my sunshine data

Broken down into 7 day periods
    1-7 20hrs
    8-14 29
    9-21 34
    22-28 28

With no sunshine on last day of May there were a few kettles boiled for bath on 2 evenings during first week, but we managed without supplementing during rest of month.

I actually raised temp of water in top half by 5C this morning with immersion, but its been mainly sunny! this morning and I think we would have been fine without.

Sunday morn is the next day where I may have to consider immersion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭quentingargan

Similar to Mothman. Mostly scraped through...

We have 80 small tubes and 300L cylinder. Over-sized a bit, but 500L stores weren't available when we were building so we normally expect to be using the heat dump a bit in June. But although it was particularly wet and miserable in West Cork, most days had a few hours where it brightened up a bit, not sunshine necessarily, and having the smaller cylinder meant we got up to a useful temperature quite quickly.

That said, sometimes had to take a shower rather than a bath, and a couple of times had to put on a kettle for greasy dishes. Not quite Armageddon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Yesterday after using immersion to raise temperature in top half from 47 to 52C, the sunshine had the top to 62C by end of day!

It was sunny most of day here! in contrast to some areas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

We have 90 HP200 tubes and a 1000 litre tank.
    No immersion.
    No backup installed up to 2 weeks ago. We've gone ahead and plumbed in an oil backup anyway until we can afford the boiler stove that we actually wanted. This was used for 20 mins 2 nights ago to test it.

We moved in on 4th May.
    2 adults and 2 young kids in the house.

We didn't use a bath, we've got fairly thirsty showers though.

Never ran out of hot water. Came close on 2 occasions but the sun came out and sorted it out.

Advertisement